logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Need some links help
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:46 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Ok I am working on finalizing the Floor Rules and this task is kind of important as we are discarding DCI and bringing in the SWMGPA.

So I am looking to know does Gamers have up the FAQ and Errata..... if not I need an admin to get the links up and working on main page.

Also I am wanting the link on Holocron. I am busy writing this stuff so a little leg work here would be appreciated.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

Post subject: Re: Need some links help
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:05 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Holocron Links

Errata Link

FAQ Link

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:11 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Holocron Rules Resource Page: http://www.the-holocron.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=55

Subpages:

Holocron SWM DCI Floor Rules: http://www.the-holocron.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=55

Holocron SWM Complete Errata: http://www.the-holocron.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=55

Holocron SWM Complete FAQ: http://www.the-holocron.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=55

Holocron SWM Complete Glossary: http://www.the-holocron.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=55

not sure if that is what you're needing... but just in case

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:14 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Dean, are you saying you want all of that data copied over here to Gamers? Or just that we need a link to it? Jason has pretty much all of it over at Holocron.

Should probably be simple enough to just copy/paste.

Would you prefer it to be a downloadable file on the main page, or an 'article' style on the main page, or in a forum post?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:15 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

it's all saved as pdf files would be an easy copy over, as well as a page view too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:31 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Hey Aaron I would like it to be downloadable from here too.

I would like to push Bloomilk to do the same but I really dont have the power.

Reason being I am adding these links into the floor rules documents. I want them to be part of the document like DCI stuff was prior to their leaving us.

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:46 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Dean, it's no problem to make an announcement thread over on Bloo with links to the files.

If you want it to be on it's own page with files hosted there then Shinja will have to do that.

Let me know and I'll be glad to help out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:42 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

dnemiller wrote:
Hey Aaron I would like it to be downloadable from here too.

I would like to push Bloomilk to do the same but I really dont have the power.

Reason being I am adding these links into the floor rules documents. I want them to be part of the document like DCI stuff was prior to their leaving us.

Ahh ok...well...I've still never got the access to the back-end of the site to work correctly, so I can't upload files so they can be downloaded later. GoDaddy never did cooperate with me on that one, and I never could get it to work.

Looks like it should be very simple to save a copy of the PDF from the Holocron, and then re-upload it here, so long as it's fully up to date.

EDIT: OK, so everybody must be trying to load the Holocron right now to help give you the links, lol. It was working for a minute, but now is absolutely crawling. And I've gotta run to get somewhere. But I'll try to check in later or first thing tomorrow and get the links unless somebody else can get them first.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:50 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

OK, Dean, here are the latest versions of the PDFs from the holocron. None of these have been updated after MOTF though, so it doesn't include any DOTF info yet. We can replace them when Jason updates them with the DOTF stuff.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:34 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Please note, I plan for the HOLOCRON versions to remain as the WotC "complete" versions.

This should not be interpreted as a "slap in the face" to DotF or Gamers.

It's just the right place to draw the line, and that info should remain available and clear for those that choose not to participate for whatever reason in the future fan-driven game.

I feel the DotF+ inclusive versions belong here on Gamers rather than on HOLOCRON so people have the one "official" source. I have no problem with you guys using my complete versions as the starting point. I'd even be willing to help if it's truly needed, though I think it's a good place for the future maintainence of these documents to move along to someone else as I ease into semi-retirement and stick to the more enjoyable thought-centric stuff over the chore of cut-and-paste maintainence and proofreading.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:50 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

NickName wrote:
Please note, I plan for the HOLOCRON versions to remain as the WotC "complete" versions.

This should not be interpreted as a "slap in the face" to DotF or Gamers.

It's just the right place to draw the line, and that info should remain available and clear for those that choose not to participate for whatever reason in the future fan-driven game.

I feel the DotF+ inclusive versions belong here on Gamers rather than on HOLOCRON so people have the one "official" source. I have no problem with you guys using my complete versions as the starting point. I'd even be willing to help if it's truly needed, though I think it's a good place for the future maintainence of these documents to move along to someone else as I ease into semi-retirement and stick to the more enjoyable thought-centric stuff over the chore of cut-and-paste maintainence and proofreading.

I agree with this. Perhaps a better idea would be either to give Nickname front end access so he can upload new versions directly here on Gamers, or have him send them to someone who can. I know I can, but haven't had time to try it out yet, so I'd hesitate taking that on. Perhaps Ray or Aaron can do it.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:56 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Ok I think somewhere nicjname is not realizing what I am wanting.

On the floor rules there has always been a link to the Errata and FAQ. These were housed by WOTC. I now have zero expectation of them to maintain these forever.

What I am wanting is for each website to get the most up to date complete versions and post them to their websites for future archival and protection of these records. I will then link each one in the floor rules so folks have options to getting to them.

This is not a moral dilema. I am asking for preservation of these documents and for Gamers, Bloomilk and the Holocron to each be part of that.

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:06 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Jason,

Do you have Word Document versions of those files? I would be up for maintaining the word versions of the documents, and then providing the PDFs to all 3 sites so they could upload them as necessary.

Sounds like what Dean is looking for is a single URL at each website, where the files would be placed. Then, when you navigate to that URL, there would be 3 links on the page for FAQ, Errata, and Glossary.

For instance, for SWMGamers, Dean, I would just use this URL in the floor rules: http://www.swmgamers.com/page.php?27

That's the link off the homepage for the 'SWM GPA Resources' where the current things like the Tournament Software excel file, the rule book pdf, etc. are located.

Then, as we get the latest versions of the FAQ/Errata/Glossary, we can replace the links on that page.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:56 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I think I'm clear on the want here.

I was answering Lobo's comment about updating the HOLOCRON version to include V-Set stuff. I'm not sure of the extent of the misconception, so best to just be clear about my plans there.

For example, my copy of the WotC DCI Floor Rules already has the links updated to the HOLOCRON rules page. This is different from the old WotC content, but maintains the spiritual functionality since they took down their site. My Glossary and FAQ contain similar case by case changes when I made them "complete". People can copy or link to these as needed.

And the Gamers Floor Rules should modify that to whatever the Gamers download section is (so the need for a link to the HOLOCRON section would be irrelevent as I imagine it and may or may not need a link to Bloo depending on Aaron's plan.) Once the gamers organization is set in stone, a reverse link from the HOLOCRON section for people looking for the V-Set stuff makes a lot of sense.

Possible I'm still missing something I suppose. To me, what I would have expected you were looking for from that initial post has been covered already by Lobo. So if I'm wrong, at least I'm not floundering alone. :lol: