Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Mon Mothma, Diplomat 35 points Republic

HP: 50
Def: 14
Attack: 0
Damage: 0

Unique. Diplomat.
Openly Defiant (characters whose name contains Imperial or Palpatine may attack this character regardless of any Special Abilities that may prevent them from doing so)
Petition of 2000 (Your squad may not ever contain more than 12 characters, including through Special Abilities such as Betrayal or Reserves. Enemy Special Abilities, such as Reinforcements or Reserves, that add characters to their squad may not be used.)

Commander Effect: If one of your opponents Commander Effects allows them to alter the number of activation in a phase, you may chooce to activate 1 character each phase. Allies may make one immediate attack when defeated.

Post subject: Re: Mon Mothma, Diplomat
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:31 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

for the cost I feel something is missing. I would add the +10 to the CE.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:35 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

jonnyb815 wrote:
for the cost I feel something is missing. I would add the +10 to the CE.

Don't forget, I made this with my Ackbar in mind, so Rebels and New Republic can gain her. Still something missing at the cost? I was leery of +10 Damage since it affects allies and is rangeless...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:18 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I would agree with jonnyb. Her cost seems high.

She limits your abilities for added units while only negatively impacting an opponents squad if they have the ability, granted it is still a strong ability to globally remove an enemy ability. The first part of her CE is conditional and may not ever be active during a skirmish and she doesn't have the full benefit of diplomat. The second part of her CE is now global. I would still evaluate her to cost closer to 30 vice 35.

Additionally, you would need to develop a ruling on betrayal should your squad be holding 12 figures unless you reworded the ability, such as "Your squad may not ever contain more than 12 characters, including through Special Abilities such as Betrayal or Reserves. While your squad contains 12 characters these abilities are inactive. Enemy Special Abilities, such as Reinforcements or Reserves, that add characters to their squad may not be used." This would ensure it was clear what the status of these abilities are during the specified condition.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:38 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

nuksaa wrote:
Additionally, you would need to develop a ruling on betrayal should your squad be holding 12 figures unless you reworded the ability, such as "Your squad may not ever contain more than 12 characters, including through Special Abilities such as Betrayal or Reserves. While your squad contains 12 characters these abilities are inactive. Enemy Special Abilities, such as Reinforcements or Reserves, that add characters to their squad may not be used." This would ensure it was clear what the status of these abilities are during the specified condition.

Isn't that almost exactly what it says now?

A cost difference of 5 seems like hair splitting, especially for a non-existant piece. If it were something that was going to get playtested then a minor change like that may come into effect :)

So with that in mind, what could be added instead? Keep in mind that she could (in conjunction with ADmiral Ackbar) join Rebels and New Republic.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:26 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

What about something that grants adjacent allies Bodyguard?

More as a Special Ability not CE, as it shouldnt be disrupted...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:25 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

With all the zaps and flames and missiles and splashes in the game, I can't really see the value of granting Bodyguard to adjacent allies. However, I could see a benefit to granting bodyguard to all allies (ie, no range requirement at all).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:31 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:

Almost but it doesn't really spell out what happens to an ability for your pieces. You have a piece with Betrayal. Betrayal activates but you have 12 figures, how is this resolved? Some could argue the ability bounces while others could say the piece is immediately defeated because the piece has left the opponents squad but cannot join your squad so it is left in limbo. I would say add the words to ensure clean interpretation of the rules.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:15 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

nuksaa wrote:

Almost but it doesn't really spell out what happens to an ability for your pieces. You have a piece with Betrayal. Betrayal activates but you have 12 figures, how is this resolved? Some could argue the ability bounces while others could say the piece is immediately defeated because the piece has left the opponents squad but cannot join your squad so it is left in limbo. I would say add the words to ensure clean interpretation of the rules.

Oh that would definately be a rules insert issue, not a card. Betrayal couldn't pull the piece over, so free 1.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:17 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

thereisnotry wrote:
With all the zaps and flames and missiles and splashes in the game, I can't really see the value of granting Bodyguard to adjacent allies. However, I could see a benefit to granting bodyguard to all allies (ie, no range requirement at all).

Lol, well Bodyguard still requires adjacency...or do you mean the ability to bodyguard her damage regardless of your position to her??

For the Love of the Republic: Allies in your squad may take this characters damage instead.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:26 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

thereisnotry wrote:

Lol, well Bodyguard still requires adjacency...or do you mean the ability to bodyguard her damage regardless of your position to her??

For the Love of the Republic: Allies in your squad may take this characters damage instead.

No, I was thinking more along the lines of all allies gain the Bodyguard special ability. Therefore your Ugnaughts can absorb hits for R2 or Rex out near the front lines, even when Mothma is having tea in a back room.

It has never made sense why someone would want to bodyguard for a non-attacking commander (who will be staying in the back anyway). The CS Padme had that ability, and I think the Republic's Palpatine has a CE like that too. The pieces which need bodyguards are the attackers, not the tech! Yes, you sometimes want a back-field BG vs a Gallop/Strafe squad...but more often you want one for your big hitters like Rex or Boba Merc or Gen. Skywalker. Therefore, if Mothma gave the Bodyguard special ability to all allies (rangeless), I think she would be much more useful.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:32 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

thereisnotry wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

No, I was thinking more along the lines of all allies gain the Bodyguard special ability. Therefore your Ugnaughts can absorb hits for R2 or Rex out near the front lines, even when Mothma is having tea in a back room.

It has never made sense why someone would want to bodyguard for a non-attacking commander (who will be staying in the back anyway). The CS Padme had that ability, and I think the Republic's Palpatine has a CE like that too. The pieces which need bodyguards are the attackers, not the tech! Yes, you sometimes want a back-field BG vs a Gallop/Strafe squad...but more often you want one for your big hitters like Rex or Boba Merc or Gen. Skywalker. Therefore, if Mothma gave the Bodyguard special ability to all allies (rangeless), I think she would be much more useful.

I could definately see that on a Rebel Version, don't really get that from her in the Republic though...I could add "Rebel Allies gain Bodyguard." since she could be brought in via my Ackbar, but don't think its needed for the faction.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:31 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I could definately see that on a Rebel Version, don't really get that from her in the Republic though...I could add "Rebel Allies gain Bodyguard." since she could be brought in via my Ackbar, but don't think its needed for the faction.

Unless she has the ability to add rebels to the squad, this CE would hinge on the abilities of another piece. Without the inherent ability in this piece to be included in another squad, this CE would be very limited and a bit of a waste in my opinion.

Quote:
Oh that would definately be a rules insert issue, not a card. Betrayal couldn't pull the piece over, so free 1.

I still think adding the words to the ability makes it very clean.

What about adding an ability:

"Not on My Watch" or "Senate Oversight"- Any ally which provides cover to this character receives a +## Attack/ +## defense.