Mark forums read

So how do you like that big FU?
Total votes : 0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:25 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

emr131 wrote:
People are continually mentioning the 30 defense option. I think the most bang for the buck (I really tend to think as a capitalist) is just keeping the defense at a nice 24 in cover. Add in Piett and Ozzel and you are spending 55 points on the commanders and Mas, 95 points left for Stormies, you get 19 of them.

Why people seem bent on looking at the Vader IC option is beyond me. Alternately, I like the idea of using B&B (albeit at less activations) with the 27 defense troopers (no Piett/Ozzel).

Yep, I agree completely. We are on the same page with this one.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:38 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

billiv15 wrote:
Now we are getting somewhere. Loda and Yoda CS are my favorite option though. Reflect with MotF is death to Stormies :)

Holy crap....Luke & Yoda alone would massacre a Stormtrooper horde. :lol:

Sure, the Stormies are going to be, and probably quite annoying from time to time, but they won't be unbeatable. There's plenty of stuff in previous sets, and several things in this set to counter them. I love how it all works out. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:18 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I voted to withhold judgment. I've seen all the stats but I'm not sure what the impact of all these "unleashed" super force powers is going to be on the competitive scene. Specifically, all the Push/Repulse abilities that deal big damage, stun characters, and move your opponent's pieces are going to really shake things up - not sure it will be good.

This set has pieces I like (Caamasi Noble, Muun Tactics Broker, Juno Eclipse, Verpine Tech, Raxus Prime Trooper, Rebel Vanguard), pieces I don't like (Clod City Leia, Chewie of Hoth), and a few I specifically dislike (Ozzel - lame to make him a virtual San Hill clone). But I think it will be a lot of fun to try all the new combos and see what shakes out.

I guess I mostly like what I see.

The majority of Force users in this set have Force Renewal - 10 out of 16. That's a big shift in design philosophy, and one that's likely to push older jedi and sith further into obsolescence.

The number of pieces who break the rules of initiative, movement or activations is staggering too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:37 am 
General
General

LoboStele wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
Now we are getting somewhere. Loda and Yoda CS are my favorite option though. Reflect with MotF is death to Stormies :)

Holy crap....Luke & Yoda alone would massacre a Stormtrooper horde. :lol:

Sure, the Stormies are going to be, and probably quite annoying from time to time, but they won't be unbeatable. There's plenty of stuff in previous sets, and several things in this set to counter them. I love how it all works out. :D

Thrawn bubble

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:54 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Menoth's Fire wrote:
Thrawn bubble

Not all stormie swarms come with Thrawn, you have to pay extra for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:06 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

And it's not exactly easy to keep a Stormie swarm within 6 of Thrawn the whole time either. On top of that, I will gladly make my way slowly across the map and have Luke and Yoda and then Princess Leia pounce upon Thrawn. If L&Y have had a few rounds of Renewal, should be easy enough to sit in the middle of a slew of Stormies and survive a round or two. Sure, Thrawn is a counter, but it's easy enough to beat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:22 pm 
General
General

adder wrote:
Menoth's Fire wrote:
Thrawn bubble

Not all stormie swarms come with Thrawn, you have to pay extra for him.

That's like buying a car without wheels.

Besides, I think the pure "Stormsworm" (that's copyrighted, now) isn't the way to go. I think they will make up the filler with other competative pieces (Vaders and whatnot). That's why you'll need to pick and choose very carefully which spices you'll put on your tofu in addition to your Felucian sage. Thrawn's is still very good since he's aggressively-costed and has multi-functionality. Piett is cheap and has a good bang-for-the-buck. DV,IC is too expensive for a CE that overlaps with Thrawn's. If you're looking for a beatstick, Lord Vader will probablly do well, since he'll pull double-duty with his CE, but you'll have verylittle room left after he jumps aboard.
Regardless, I plan on trying out many, many Stormswormstm soon enough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:54 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Oh, I agree 100% Stormtrooper swarms will be strong. But I think there are going to be builds with and without Thrawn. Especially at my LGS, the couple of guys who tend to run Stormie swarms frequently don't even have Thrawn. So, some of it will depend on the local playstyles. National meta level? Going to need time to play around with the various swarm squad options to see which really is the best. It's possible that a squad with the Felucian Officer and without either Thrawn or Vader will be the best purely because you get a LOT more troopers. Time will tell. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:03 pm 
General
General

LoboStele wrote:
Oh, I agree 100% Stormtrooper swarms will be strong. But I think there are going to be builds with and without Thrawn. Especially at my LGS, the couple of guys who tend to run Stormie swarms frequently don't even have Thrawn. So, some of it will depend on the local playstyles. National meta level? Going to need time to play around with the various swarm squad options to see which really is the best. It's possible that a squad with the Felucian Officer and without either Thrawn or Vader will be the best purely because you get a LOT more troopers. Time will tell. ;)

That may be, but it will take a lot of convincing for me to skip the blue man: that +3/+3 seems so integral to me with all of these powerhouses on the table now. But anyway, I think it will be even more interesting to see which Troopers make the cut:

stealthy Scouts?
evo?
Double-shooting navy troopers?
maybe even the sturdy dewback?!

I have no idea, but if I were to wager a guess, I'd say the artistry will come in the combining of the the different flavors.