logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Possible SWM License news
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:06 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

ender_ wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:
LoboStele wrote:
It sucks for us...

Define "us." :P

From my perspective, it sucks for THEM because I have amassed so much on WotC product for this game. I have no intention (nor money, stupid economy) to recreate my entire collection. So the most they can hope for from me - even if their game is the best thing since sliced bread (which really isn't that all impressive, but whatever) - is a starter set and maybe a few singles here and there. And if I can proxy my stuff to fill a role in their game, well even better.

Their only hope of capturing me as a customer is to make something that is compatible scale-wise with the game I already play, so that I can buy and use any new pieces they come up with for the game I already enjoy. :)

Point is, Lobo, it doesn't "suck" for me or you or anyone else sitting on this side of the river. It's not my responsibility to make them successful, and if they walk into this without understanding the dilemma they are facing, well that is not my problem, either.

In theory with that staement,if not for the "star wars fans will buy star wars" then any company after WotC would be ill advised to pick the license. Note this is the point i made months ago that was dismissed quickly.

You always make statements like this. Your little signature is on par with baiting and you may get away with that crap at Wotc but it is not going to fly here.

Funny thing about making outlandish statements by the ton.... sooner or later you might be right. Hell even a broken clock is right twice a day it doesnt really make you a seer or prophet.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:22 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The reason your point was dismissed so quickly before, trapped, is because a new game WILL sell just fine if it is marketed correctly. There are plenty of people out there who didn't go nuts on WotC's version of the game, and plenty of people - plenty of gamers - who never really heard very much about it who could very easily be targeted for a new game by a different company.

When I say that it sucks for the company that they have a dilemma, I mean as far as getting the hardcore SWM collectors like me. I do not need to double my collection. It will probably outlive me, even with a 60-year lifespan on plastic.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:51 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

I was thinking about the different types of games that could be produced.
1) 40K, Hoardes, etc type - metal minis that you need to assemble and paint (a lot of them).
Finally seeing someone field a group of stormtroopers or grunts would be nice.

2) SWM type skirmish game - metal or plastic minis. You only need a few to play. Card or maybe PDA type of game mechanic.

3) Maybe something more like chess. Gridded board and pieces move "chess-like".

4) SpaceHulk type of game where you can customize your base figure's stats and then go against the scenario (single player) or other players.

5) More of a card game with some mini's.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:01 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

At the time ,it was dimissed because my statement was based on the same statements that are and have appeared here and on bloomilk along with WotC. I even made a poll about it over at bloomilk.http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=7378

What was pointed out was that we don't know what the next set of mechanics will be,and that was the reason why it was dismissed out of hand at the time so quickly,despite it in my eyes being something worthwhile to talk about. I think that folks will take a look at the mechanics whatever they maybe,then decided if they wish to invest with the new game or not.

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
The reason your point was dismissed so quickly before, trapped, is because a new game WILL sell just fine if it is marketed correctly. There are plenty of people out there who didn't go nuts on WotC's version of the game, and plenty of people - plenty of gamers - who never really heard very much about it who could very easily be targeted for a new game by a different company.

And your right there are still folks who didn't pick this version of the game up who may pick up the next one. It will be interesting to see how the next company goes about marketing it and if they decided to make an attemp at organized play.

Things i've said in the past that got dismissed and now are being talked about:
restricting formats by set
Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:35 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

There are those that hope for a white Christmas and then there are those that complain about the snow.

:roll:

"...he is a wound in the Force..."

Dinuir ni verda kyr'am ner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:34 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Cerous Mutor wrote:
There are those that hope for a white Christmas and then there are those that complain about the snow.

Sometimes they are the exact same people, lol.

Not really sure what this is supposed to mean in terms of SWM.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:27 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Dennis linked to this on his facebook page:

http://www.sterlinghershey.com/blog/201 ... ation.html

Some interesting thoughts about this news from Sterling Hershey. He makes good points about what the new company would need to do in order to draw in the current RPG players, let alone miniatures players.

I know that I for one would like to see the RPG turn into something perhaps a little more fast-paced. For instance, my wife really likes to play RPG, but she can't stand the combat portion of it. She gets bored about 2 rounds into it, and is ready to be done for the night. She likes the role-playing aspect though, and the exploring cantinas and getting information, and all that kind of stuff. So anything that could help the game move along quicker would be cool.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:26 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

LoboStele wrote:
Dennis linked to this on his facebook page:

http://www.sterlinghershey.com/blog/201 ... ation.html

Some interesting thoughts about this news from Sterling Hershey. He makes good points about what the new company would need to do in order to draw in the current RPG players, let alone miniatures players.

I know that I for one would like to see the RPG turn into something perhaps a little more fast-paced. For instance, my wife really likes to play RPG, but she can't stand the combat portion of it. She gets bored about 2 rounds into it, and is ready to be done for the night. She likes the role-playing aspect though, and the exploring cantinas and getting information, and all that kind of stuff. So anything that could help the game move along quicker would be cool.

Seconded!
My GF is the same. I make the games up with cobbled together rules and 'made to fit' stuff to keep it pacey!
This would be something i'd buy in to.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:28 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Cerous Mutor wrote:

Its a 'tailored for your needs' statement :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:59 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
Cerous Mutor wrote:

Um, I'm one of those people who hopes for a white Christmas and then complains about the snow.

Of course, I wanted a few inches of snow, not a few feet (and especially not all in one weekend)!!!!!!!!!!

Proud Member of: Knights of Columbus (4th Degree) and Triangle Fraternity /T\ (MSOE Chapter)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:43 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

The only thing I am hoping for is that the minis are the same size as the old ones.I'm thoroughly convinced that's the best thing that could happen to us, so that we had fodder to continue V-sets.

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:18 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

It be very interesting to see if Paizo picks it up. I saw they were in the rumor section of that article someone posted. The RPG would defenatly be in good hands if they grab it.

Someone also mentioned Steve Jackson Games idk if i like that idea or not.

It all remains to be seen.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:33 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Weeks wrote:
It be very interesting to see if Paizo picks it up. I saw they were in the rumor section of that article someone posted. The RPG would defenatly be in good hands if they grab it.

I can't see SJG picking it up, due to several thing but mainly the price of it. EDIT: I don't see them as to getting back into a property that isn't theres to begin with due to thire size.

Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:06 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I just hope they put out some more of the starship battles mini's ^^

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:47 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Jedicartographer wrote:
The only thing I am hoping for is that the minis are the same size as the old ones.I'm thoroughly convinced that's the best thing that could happen to us, so that we had fodder to continue V-sets.

Couldn't agree more. Hopefully the new company realizes there is and additional market they can immediately tap into should they produce minis.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:07 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

ender_ wrote:
Weeks wrote:

I can't see SJG picking it up, due to several thing but mainly the price of it. EDIT: I don't see them as to getting back into a property that isn't theres to begin with due to thire size.

Well we now knwo for sure that SJG didn't pick it up..interesting that it was refered to as a "headache" i think i can understand how it can bew viewed as a headache of a license

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:31 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Privateer Press might be another possiblity. Though with how Monpoc seems to be faltering with no news, likely due to the movie deal, might not be the best thing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:35 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I asked Fantasy Flight at Gencon and they quickly stated that they would love to make some SW based games but it was to much trouble and money to bother with that license.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:46 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Sithborg wrote:
Privateer Press might be another possiblity. Though with how Monpoc seems to be faltering with no news, likely due to the movie deal, might not be the best thing.

Movie deal?

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:13 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Disturbed1 wrote:
Sithborg wrote:

Movie deal?

Apparently a CG movie is in the works.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next