logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Possible SWM License news
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:54 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

AdmiralMotti89 wrote:
My guess is that McDonald's picked it ip, and that we will have to buy one happy meal for each mini we want.

This would be terrible news for all the areas of the country which are pushing a legal ban on happy meals because their free toy is the pied piper for overweight youth in America...;)

But McDonald's already builds within a quarter mile of any gaming store...they already get money from the mini gamers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:19 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Is there any painters in the gaming group? I mess around with green stuff but my painting skills aren't excellent. My main problem is simply priming the scuplt. I always "gob" the spray paint up and lose the texture and details. I put robes on the Weequay from CS so it loooks like Sora kneeling with a Lightsaber about to strike.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:40 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

AdmiralMotti89 wrote:
My guess is that McDonald's picked it ip, and that we will have to buy one happy meal for each mini we want.

I'm already pondering how 'Gallop' interacts with the drive-through. Maybe thats a question for the rules forum.

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:51 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

First I need to say, that I love this game. I have been playing since 2005 and have probably spend thousands of dollars on my collection. I don't plan on giving it up for anything.

With that said, I AM a Star Wars fan. When Lucas pulled the license from Decipher, I said I would never play the WotC TCG. But I gave it a shot. Didn't like it. When SSB came out, I gave it a try. Didn't like it. Haven't tried 2.0, but I may sometime. When Pocketmodels came out, I gave it a try. Didn't end up liking it. Do I want to invest in a new miniatures game? No. Will I give it a try if a new miniatures game comes out? Of course I will. Why? Because I'm a Star Wars fan. I want it to succeed because its Star Wars. But if the game isn't good, or gets too expensive, I will give it up. If that's not the case, then I won't. I would like to say that I won't play another Star Wars miniatures game based on another game mechanic. My wife would like that also. But we both know that I couldn't resist.

However, playing this game, I have made some lifelong friends, and am continually making more. And as long as I have someone to play it with, I will never give up on this game!

AFM: drkjedi35
Bloomilk: swrogue57

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:50 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Demosthenes wrote:
I just feel bad that whatever company grabbed the license and starts making miniatures will already have lost a large segment of the target demographic: those who play SWM and don't want to adjust to a new mechanic and buy new pieces. I mean, sure they'll pick up new fans, but it sucks that we can't continue playing the same game where Wizards left off. The company will probably think that the miniatures line was doomed to failure because it didn't sell well, but they won't understand that it was just because we were still attached to our previous game mechanics.

I brought this up in the past and quickly dismissed out of hand...but I think folks will give the new mechanics a chance, i know i will. But then again i haven't bought as heavily into the old game as others have. I'm more curious about the RPG side of things to be totally honest.

Things i've said in the past that got dismissed and now are being talked about:
restricting formats by set
Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:43 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

jarosa wrote:
Is there any painters in the gaming group? I mess around with green stuff but my painting skills aren't excellent. My main problem is simply priming the scuplt. I always "gob" the spray paint up and lose the texture and details. I put robes on the Weequay from CS so it loooks like Sora kneeling with a Lightsaber about to strike.

Yep, there are a few that I'm aware of (I'm one of them, lol). This is best for the customs section of the forums though, so feel free to start some threads in there about it.

It is something to be considered though if this new company ends up going the un-painted metal miniatures route which seems to be popular with many other companies right now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:00 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Hmm... just a couple of random thoughts from someone who's outside the loop...

First, the mechanics - aren't the mechanics derivatives of the d20 system, which is an open game license of WotC? The ruleset could likely be published under the OGL, so other than printing the OGL on the last page of the rulebook, could probably maintain the mechanics fairly close.

Second, if there is a new rules set, what's to stop them from doing something like Dean and crew are doing with the V-Set, or WotC did when they converted D&D minis to 2.0 - releasing revised cards for our existing miniatures (either as freebies to download or for a nominal cost - how much would a 60-card package cost - $5.95?). They might not sell as many minis right off the bat, but they might pull in more existing players to their new rules set who are unwilling to re-invest thousands, and ensure more sales longer-term (plus keep the secondary market floating).

Ok, I'll stop talking crazy and go back under my rock.

Proud Member of: Knights of Columbus (4th Degree) and Triangle Fraternity /T\ (MSOE Chapter)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:07 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

tvknight415 wrote:
Hmm... just a couple of random thoughts from someone who's outside the loop...

First, the mechanics - aren't the mechanics derivatives of the d20 system, which is an open game license of WotC? The ruleset could likely be published under the OGL, so other than printing the OGL on the last page of the rulebook, could probably maintain the mechanics fairly close.

The minis d20 ruleset is not OGL. I wish it were.

Quote:
Second, if there is a new rules set, what's to stop them from doing something like Dean and crew are doing with the V-Set, or WotC did when they converted D&D minis to 2.0 - releasing revised cards for our existing miniatures (either as freebies to download or for a nominal cost - how much would a 60-card package cost - $5.95?). They might not sell as many minis right off the bat, but they might pull in more existing players to their new rules set who are unwilling to re-invest thousands, and ensure more sales longer-term (plus keep the secondary market floating).

Ok, I'll stop talking crazy and go back under my rock.

What's stopping them is they would be doing it for profit whereas we are not.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:53 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I think what he's suggesting though is cards for some NEW ruleset that they've developed, but just as individual cards, rather than full boosters. The only trouble with that though, is that it would only be good for dragging in existing SWMs players. It wouldn't attract new players at all, which would be a problem for the new line. So, in reality, they'd almost have to offer both things, in order to try and rope in the two categories.

From that standpoint though, and historically speaking for Star Wars related lines....it'd be better for them to just go with the full mini + card boosters. People always buy Star Wars stuff, and eventually, most of us, even though we say "I won't buy a new game" would probably end up getting into it. :P

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:58 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I'm proud of never buying the TCG from WOTC. Quality does matter.

Still a wait and see approach is best.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:29 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Sithborg wrote:

i quite like that game.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:30 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I agree with the "wait and see" approach. Sure, I've invested a lot of time and money into SWM, but that certainly won't stop me from playing another game. I've invested a lot of time and money into WoW as well, but in going to get The Old Republic when it is released. I like having more than one game to play, and I'm perfectly willing to invest in another game. It's not like it will make my current SWM collection worth any less; I'll just have another Star Wars game to play.

If there is a new miniatures game which is good and fun to play, I will play it.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:31 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

fingersandteeth wrote:
Sithborg wrote:

i quite like that game.

As do I. I have a saying, "Cards and dice don't mix," but that game is the one exception for me.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:43 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

LoboStele wrote:
People always buy Star Wars stuff, and eventually, most of us, even though we say "I won't buy a new game" would probably end up getting into it. :P

Well, I've spent $5000-$6000 on this game by now, and I simply can't justify doing that again for another game. SWM will always be my favorite game anyway.

But having said that, you're probably right. :)

I never intended to get into World of Warcraft Minis. Pssh. :roll: Anyway, one day I broke down and bought a starter and a booster of WoW minis "just for fun, to see what it's like"...and eventually (and $700 later) I found the complete set in my storage closet. On the other hand, I had intended to get into SSB at release, but never actually did; I'm glad for that now.

Before SWM, I had never been a player of miniatures games (it was the SWRPG that got me into SWM). But since getting sucked into the vortex of SWM, I've somehow picked up DDM, WoW minis, Heroscape along the way. I'm hoping that my days of spending lotsa $ on minis are at an end.

...but I will be playing the SWTOR MMO! :saber:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:14 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I never could get into the TCG. I was a pretty big SWCCG guys so that might be why. I think that if there was a new game there will be players if the game turns out to be a good one. After all its star wars so if they market it right anything can happen.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:33 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

LoboStele wrote:
I think what he's suggesting though is cards for some NEW ruleset that they've developed, but just as individual cards, rather than full boosters. The only trouble with that though, is that it would only be good for dragging in existing SWMs players. It wouldn't attract new players at all, which would be a problem for the new line. So, in reality, they'd almost have to offer both things, in order to try and rope in the two categories.

From that standpoint though, and historically speaking for Star Wars related lines....it'd be better for them to just go with the full mini + card boosters. People always buy Star Wars stuff, and eventually, most of us, even though we say "I won't buy a new game" would probably end up getting into it. :P

I think they should do both (if there's a new rule set) - release new minis with new stats for both new and existing players, plus provide some sort of conversion cards so that existing players wouldn't feel like they have to completely reinvest in the game. They could release some converted cards for the major trooper types (stormtroopers, battle droids, etc.) plus some of the popular uniques. They wouldn't have to offer conversions for every single mini - just enough to encourage current players to give it a shot.

Proud Member of: Knights of Columbus (4th Degree) and Triangle Fraternity /T\ (MSOE Chapter)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:48 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

But, as a company, why would you want to produce something that encourages people to buy someone else's product? The SW Minis on the secondary market are relatively cheap sometimes, and people could probably buy hordes of the trooper types or whatever of the WOTC minis for cheaper than it would cost to buy the new company's stuff.

From the new company's standpoint, it would be a very poor business move. It sucks for us, but that's going to be their perspective. Again, it's Star Wars, and the trend typically has been that people will buy it one way or the other. So in the end, it would be better for them to only produce the Minis+Cards together, and not offer the cards up separately.

Plus, offering the cards separately could confuse new players. Or it might allow people to just not buy the minis at all and play with pennies on their dining room table. ;) Lastly, doing separate things like that would also artificially drive up the costs for the miniatures, because they wouldn't be selling as many of them. Therefore, the company would have to charge more for the minis in order to make them worth doing, since they'd be selling less of them. That would in turn likely drive their sales down (higher prices, lower sales).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:17 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
It sucks for us...

Define "us." :P

From my perspective, it sucks for THEM because I have amassed so much on WotC product for this game. I have no intention (nor money, stupid economy) to recreate my entire collection. So the most they can hope for from me - even if their game is the best thing since sliced bread (which really isn't that all impressive, but whatever) - is a starter set and maybe a few singles here and there. And if I can proxy my stuff to fill a role in their game, well even better.

Their only hope of capturing me as a customer is to make something that is compatible scale-wise with the game I already play, so that I can buy and use any new pieces they come up with for the game I already enjoy. :)

Point is, Lobo, it doesn't "suck" for me or you or anyone else sitting on this side of the river. It's not my responsibility to make them successful, and if they walk into this without understanding the dilemma they are facing, well that is not my problem, either.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:24 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
LoboStele wrote:
It sucks for us...

From my perspective, it sucks for THEM because I have amassed so much on WotC product for this game. I have no intention (nor money, stupid economy) to recreate my entire collection. So the most they can hope for from me - even if their game is the best thing since sliced bread (which really isn't that all impressive, but whatever) - is a starter set and maybe a few singles here and there. And if I can proxy my stuff to fill a role in their game, well even better.

Their only hope of capturing me as a customer is to make something that is compatible scale-wise with the game I already play, so that I can buy and use any new pieces they come up with for the game I already enjoy. :)

Point is, Lobo, it doesn't "suck" for me or you or anyone else sitting on this side of the river. It's not my responsibility to make them successful, and if they walk into this without understanding the dilemma they are facing, well that is not my problem, either.

Oh, well, I was saying that it would suck for us, because it would keep this new company from doing a separate card pack type idea as posed earlier. Would be great for us if they would produce only cards that will work with our existing miniatures, or only miniatures that will work with our V Set cards, but I won't be holding my breath for either of those to happen. The latter might be somewhat likely based on an idea like the RPGs and corresponding metal miniatures that several companies are doing lately (Pathfinder, for example). But I would be shocked if the former ever happened. I just can't see a new company doing something that would intentionally encourage people to buy an old product which the new company sees no revenue from.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:45 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
LoboStele wrote:
It sucks for us...

In theory with that staement,if not for the "star wars fans will buy star wars" then any company after WotC would be ill advised to pick the license. Note this is the point i made months ago that was dismissed quickly.

Things i've said in the past that got dismissed and now are being talked about:
restricting formats by set
Some chosing not to play the game if and when another company picks it up without the current mechanics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next