logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Sith Competition?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:56 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

I was looking at the squad Ruhk posted, and I really like the squad idea he was playing with, so now I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks.

:saber: What Sith squad do you think will be more vital in post-DOTF meta? :saber:
:fight2:
62 Darth Revan, Sith Lord
64 Naga Sado
27 Darth Bandon
21 Han Solo, Gambler OR Genoharradin Assassin
8 R7, Astromech Droid
9 Mouse Droids x3
6 Rodian Brutes x2
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

200 pts, 11 Activations

OR
:fight:
62 Darth Revan, Sith Lord
84 Exar Kun
27 Lobot
9 Mouse Droids x3
9 Ugnaught Demolitionists x3
9 Rodian Brutes x3

Reinforcements [Lobot]:
8 R-7, Astromech Droid
6 Ugnaught Demolitionists x2
6 Rodian Brutes x2

200 pts, 17 Acts

Post subject: Re: Sith Competition?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:39 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

We have to see how the meta shakes out. But as it is, I am extremely hestitant to run Sith without substantial range support. Granted, it all depends on your meta, but the Vong out right scare me. You can pretty much be certain to see a Yammosk, who absolutely loves Bandon's CE. It begins to get quite ugly. I almost want to say forget Bandon, go for Exar FS. Gives some extra damage to a guy, if not a lot, also quite powerful with Naga when not facing the Vong. Also denies the Vong a usable CE, which is key. Vong is still going to be a tough match up, and we haven't seen everything they have yet.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:03 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Sithborg wrote:
We have to see how the meta shakes out. But as it is, I am extremely hestitant to run Sith without substantial range support. Granted, it all depends on your meta, but the Vong out right scare me. You can pretty much be certain to see a Yammosk, who absolutely loves Bandon's CE. It begins to get quite ugly. I almost want to say forget Bandon, go for Exar FS. Gives some extra damage to a guy, if not a lot, also quite powerful with Naga when not facing the Vong. Also denies the Vong a usable CE, which is key. Vong is still going to be a tough match up, and we haven't seen everything they have yet.

I disagree about bandon. Punching through the extra 10 damage that crab armor gives is important. It means that if you fail 1 save vs a revan assault you lose a jedi hunter which is pretty big. It also means Dash will more then likely kill 1 jedi hunter per round. If you have enough fodder to pulg up passages to your dudes you should be ok with sith vs Vong.

This is also the reason im saying that Naga isnt a really good idea with revan he cant kill a jedi hunter on the move and you pay a ton of points for his force powers that you can't use. That matchup alone makes me shy away from him. If i wanted to run a t1 sith squad with a big beat id run Darth Bane, at least then he can kill 1 of those tough little jokers per round.

The Exar Kun squad has been tossed around a little my Spryguy1981 and me the logic behind it seems solid. I'd say not to run Bandon with that though cause that squad will run through fodder like nobody's buisness lol. That would leave your rein options open for the BG instead of uggies to kill. So I'd pick your second squad here as my favorite, it only has 1 trick up its sleeve but i think it matches up well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:09 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

Except the sith are hard pressed to kill an Ossus in 1 activation. I know it is 6 more pts than a JH but you also get the razorbug and those 20 HP and +2 deeefense is huge IMO. Even Bane can't take one out (unless he has Bandon) in an activation.

Vong are super scary against any type of Force user squad in the new DOTF meta.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:45 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Ossus only has +10 HP, but it is enough to make it extremely tough to kill, even with Bandon. Revan needs Bandon and Exar, FS near to dish enough to kill either one reliabley. Naga can with Bandon, but he can't do it on the move. Which makes him a big target. Again, I need to see everything and how it develops. Sure, Revan's hit and run tactics can work, but I would be hesitant to swap in a beatstick if you are using Bandon to finish someone. You potentially face another Vong at the very minimum of +20 Dam (for a JH, it would be 80 dam vs another Sith Beatstick, potentially more if things work out how I see it). Good gameplay can definately make a difference. Bandon's CE is just too perfect for the Vong to copy, that I am hesitant to autoinclude it without some other means of keeping the Vong off you.

Still, if you want to use Naga, I would definately say Exar, FS is a better option. He synergises so well with Naga, even moreso if you are not facing the Vong. Sith Rage is nice, but Dark Aura with Sorcery and Illusion really make Naga a beast. You lose a little bit with Revan, but I think the gains are much more potent.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:51 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

The squads above pair Revan with another high-cost fig. What if Revan's support was all mid-cost pieces? I do think it's important to give Revan some ranged support; Dash RS is a great ranged option, of course. But so are Sith Lords or other mid-cost sith pieces that can use the force to great effect given good placement (which Revan provides). Sacrificing a Sith Lord to zap R2 and Rex is a good trade, IMHO. Genoharadan assassins can be disgustingly effective at 21pts with Revan (and Exar FS). Revan is more a finesse piece than a beatstick, and so maybe his support needs to be pieces that also play via finesse...trading low-cost pieces for high-cost pieces, tactical strikes, etc.

And I'm not quite so worried about the Vong. Yes, the Purple-People-Eaters are devastating with the Yammosk, but that's what Caamasis and Mice are for. I played Revan vs a Vong squad, and it was very difficult for my opponent to actually close with my squad, since Revan's deep strikes and Darth Bane's LS Throws laid out the damage while my Nobles and Mice held the vong at bay. It wasn't an easy matchup, but the Sith performed quite well, considering that I had no ranged attackers (other than Bane).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:45 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

i myself am working on some sith squads to play with but i have to totally go against the one with revan and kun. you play kun with a bunch of decent shooters not with another sith lord. i personally think that you might have forgotten somebody very important, Darth Malak, Dark Lord of the Sith with his CE followers get +4 attack

Trollolololololololololol.

Who gave Palps on Throne evade? And who made the Yammosk sooo cheap?

Proud Creator of the abbreviation AnaSTAP.