logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: The Battle of Hoth in 1hour
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:33 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
So a flgs is doing a star wars day in November and the goal is to run. Big Hoth battle and a little one. I'm certainly looking forward to it. I have been planning to run this for a while. But it needs to be able to be ran in about 1 hour or so.

Where it stands.4 players 400 points per side, 2 maps, one the shield generator the other icy plains. 2 imperial uniques Blizzard scout and vader ic. One big at-at a second at-st and filler of 1 probe Droid and snowtroopers.

The rebels are where I am having trouble. The reason is for balance. I want the empire to have the advantage but not too much so.
So any thoughts?

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

Post subject: Re: The Battle of Hoth in 1hour
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:48 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

So the way I am interpreting it: the only way to do 400pts x 2 teams in an hour is to use Larger cost pieces?

As I'm seeing it now: Imps =ATAT(200) Vader IC (250) Blizzard 1 (304) ATST (348) Probe Droid (356) Storm x8.
13 Acts (give or take the ATAT with Staggered Activation)

So both Imperial players use that? Not too bad. I had originally read it as two Imp teams of 400 each.

So now's you're looking for an equatable for the Rebels?, which is tough given the lack of any 200 point pieces.

Personally I always thought Hoth Battles should have the Imps coming in at more points anyway, as the Rebels were completely outclassed.

Right off the bat, keeping the activations relatively close I see: Luke's SS, SS x5, Golan x4 and Atgar x4. The immediate problem I see with that is the Splash from the Golans essentially negates the Stormtrooper's boosted Defense

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:01 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Cool, have fun!

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:04 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Don, hope you're on here before the game. :)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:53 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
So the way I am interpreting it: the only way to do 400pts x 2 teams in an hour is to use Larger cost pieces?

As I'm seeing it now: Imps =ATAT(200) Vader IC (250) Blizzard 1 (304) ATST (348) Probe Droid (356) Storm x8.
13 Acts (give or take the ATAT with Staggered Activation)

So both Imperial players use that? Not too bad. I had originally read it as two Imp teams of 400 each.

So now's you're looking for an equatable for the Rebels?, which is tough given the lack of any 200 point pieces.

Personally I always thought Hoth Battles should have the Imps coming in at more points anyway, as the Rebels were completely outclassed.

Right off the bat, keeping the activations relatively close I see: Luke's SS, SS x5, Golan x4 and Atgar x4. The immediate problem I see with that is the Splash from the Golans essentially negates the Stormtrooper's boosted Defense

I had that same idea at first too Brad, but felt that while it is thematically good, it ignores the need for Hoth troopers completely, granted they were almost useless anyway, but for effect. I hadn't considered the splash issue either.

And yes it's two teams that share the point total.

I was thinking of either going 1 Tank team and 1 infantry team, for the empire, this way one player runs just the troops and the other runs the mechs. Another thought was just to split them down the middle and allow each player to share the AT-AT activations

I was thinking along the same lines for the rebels as well. Oh I also like the idea of the rebels having a smaller point total, but what, 300? Or 250? I'd lean toward 300 just for the sake of not outright humiliation.

Member of the SWMRAC

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:54 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Oh the date of this event is Saturday November 20th.

Member of the SWMRAC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:27 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

So the plan is moving forward pretty well. I've also decided to give the rebels a handicap. They will play at 300 points, afterall the Empire was better prepared for the battle and I think that by cutting some rebel points it would account for that. Neither squad hits their full point total and thats okay with me.

Imps =ATAT(200) Vader IC (50) Blizzard 1 (54) ATST (44) Probe Droid (8) 6 Snowtroopers (42).
16 Acts (With Staggered Activation)

Rebels= (This is without some additions that are pending from Dennis and the guys; Wedges Snowspeeder(**))
Lukes Snowspeeder (45), 2 Snowspeeders (76) 2 Golan Turrets (52), 2 Atgar Cannons (30) 2 Elite Hoth Trooper (24) 2 Rebel Officers (26) 6 Hoth Troopers (42)

Now depending on the Wedge models points will help with the final rebel group, probable changes are to drop 1 speeder and the elite hoth troopers. But that is of course depending on what wedge is capable of and his point total. If he can drop an AT-AT in a single activation I may have to add a second AT-AT but that would slwo the game and the goal is to have it played in about an hour to an hour and half.

Member of the SWMRAC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:21 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Premiering at the battle of Hoth in 1 hour will be Wedges Snowspeeder, another sneak peak into the V-Sets. We will be running the event several times during the day starting early in the morning and running up until the evening time. And if you arrive during the middle of the event you can always play some Dejarik or Courtier at one of the other tables.

Member of the SWMRAC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:28 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Don....so wickedly jealous. Layne, my son, has a scout function on sat and we wont be able to make it down to see/play in the battle. I was looking forward to this since the thread popped up and told my wife we were making a day of it in the springs. I am bummed. Have a great time and be sure to take some pics to post here

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:35 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

thedisaster wrote:
Don....so wickedly jealous. Layne, my son, has a scout function on sat and we wont be able to make it down to see/play in the battle. I was looking forward to this since the thread popped up and told my wife we were making a day of it in the springs. I am bummed. Have a great time and be sure to take some pics to post here

Sorry to hear that, those darn scouts!

Member of the SWMRAC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:37 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

dalsiandon wrote:
Sorry to hear that, those darn scouts!

I know, right...teaching our boys values and stuff like that. the nerve of some people, lol. :D