logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post subject: Re: List of Candidates for the restricted list and standard list
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:32 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Played a few games this weekend on Rhun Var Citadel (misspelled i know). That is a very interesting map. It has good advancement from both ends and all the fighting seems to be done in gambit or just above/below it. There is also pretty much no way to get first round gambit that ive found on it. The doors arent hard to get blown open and you really only need to blow the top or bottom door of gambit to ensure your not getting locked out.

The Storage shed on the outside I find hallarious, its just big enough to hide whatever commanders you want in it (up to 3 and still keep the doors shut) and they are pretty much safe in there.

The 2 pits on the top and bottom are pretty cool. They also are just big enough to where any normal speed character with flight cant fly over them cause they are 13 squares long, but you can fly onto the platform and back off it which is hellacool.

Overall i love that map I'll back that one for the restricted. :Snowie:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:07 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Weeks wrote:
The 2 pits on the top and bottom are pretty cool. They also are just big enough to where any normal speed character with flight cant fly over them cause they are 13 squares long, but you can fly onto the platform and back off it which is hellacool.

LOL, it's almost like someone designed it as 13 squares long, hahaha. :P

Nice work, Deri.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:33 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

LoboStele wrote:
Weeks wrote:

LOL, it's almost like someone designed it as 13 squares long, hahaha. :P

Nice work, Deri.

Indeed, i was in the middle of a game and saw his name at the bottom and im like "so thats why" lol.

MP4 is awesome

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:05 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah honestly, I'd have Deri Morgan desiningg all my maps in the future. :obi:

"Micro-managment Breeds Incompetence"

Being a Star Wars Miniatures Hall of Famer is a Responsibilty Not a Priveledge.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:08 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Jedicartographer wrote:

Awwww. Then I'll never get my chance to be part of the Master's Series ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:54 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
Jedicartographer wrote:

Awwww. Then I'll never get my chance to be part of the Master's Series ;)

Hmm.. a masters series part 2...sounds interesting! We actually have 2 more maps we need to finish for that. still. I don't see why I couldn't add another map into queue!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:59 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Jedicartographer wrote:
Hmm.. a masters series part 2...sounds interesting! We actually have 2 more maps we need to finish for that. still. I don't see why I couldn't add another map into queue!

Speaking of which....what's the latest on those??? Hmmm? :P ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:59 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

LoboStele wrote:
Jedicartographer wrote:

Speaking of which....what's the latest on those??? Hmmm? :P ;)

Yours is definitely next, probably Deans as well. I want those to be distributed in the league kits. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:52 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Bumped for my benefit. About halfway done.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:34 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Bump....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:05 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Bump.

If any one is still using this thread, are there standardized names for the other two Tatooine maps from MEM (MP3) for my benefit?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:11 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Bump. Be repared for results by next week.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:02 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND DONE!

now just to review.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:34 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Just because I'm a nice guy...bump.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:58 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

thanks for bumping this. I havn't looked at it for a long while.

Thanks to Weeks and JC for the kind words about RenVar. I had fun designing that and it seems to play pretty much how i envisioned. Usually a mid map scrum with options for flanking.

I feel this thread is important for anyone getting into the game.

Maps are a vital resource for the game and with the increasing difficulty in obtaining WotC maps i feel threads like this should be put into a separate forum where people can discuss maps, as well as stickies with links of where and how to obtain them.

The forum would have links to the Holocron map list, Maps of Mastery, anywhere where Matt hosts/sells maps and would have a sticky with the list of current restricted, standard and open map lists.

Its quite a lot of work but the payoff would be anyone could find and browse available maps to aquire and discuss.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:48 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

fingersandteeth wrote:
thanks for bumping this. I havn't looked at it for a long while.

Thanks to Weeks and JC for the kind words about RenVar. I had fun designing that and it seems to play pretty much how i envisioned. Usually a mid map scrum with options for flanking.

I feel this thread is important for anyone getting into the game.

Maps are a vital resource for the game and with the increasing difficulty in obtaining WotC maps i feel threads like this should be put into a separate forum where people can discuss maps, as well as stickies with links of where and how to obtain them.

The forum would have links to the Holocron map list, Maps of Mastery, anywhere where Matt hosts/sells maps and would have a sticky with the list of current restricted, standard and open map lists.

Its quite a lot of work but the payoff would be anyone could find and browse available maps to aquire and discuss.

+1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:28 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

OK - sorry but I still need some help on what maps are what.

I am basing this off of the legal maps for the upcoming Capital City Championships.

I love that we are essentially helping playtest these candidates at this tournament.
I do not love how difficult it is to figure out which map is which.

As far as I can see, Smuggler’s Base is not on the list at all in the "List of Candidates for the restricted list and standard list" thread.

Did I miss it, or is it labeled something else?

Swamp Caves is not listed, is that Dagobah? Or is it Crystal Caves?

Also Cargo Docks is not listed, is it Loading Docks?

I understand that this map process is still being worked out, but we need to really be uniform on what the maps are called. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:51 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I want to express my opinion of this, but I don't want it to diminish any of our communities awesome mapmakers hard work.

I also don't want to have this reflect negatively on Brad or anyone else playtesting the custom maps for legality. If anything - it makes their work all the more important.

This is just my 2 cents:

Tripling our restricted map list size is a big mistake. I think even doubling it is too many. Everyone is always for more maps, more maps, more maps. I am too - but not for the restricted list. I love a wide variety of maps for fun games, scenarios, even relaxed tournaments. But for the RESTRICTED LIST, I think it needs to be a SMALL LIST. It needs to be only the cream of the crop. The best, LEAST ABUSABLE maps.

Map strategy and squad synergy with a map should always be a part of the game, but a minor part, as opposed to a dominant part. Squad building and gameplay should remain larger components. We don't want the map dice roll to become what wins a game, except in very rare cases of evenly matched squads run by evenly matched players.

In 2007, Kelly won Gencon in no small part due to using a peculiar map to his advantage. It lead to a huge uproar to ban Geonosis (along with Mustafar). In 2008 the Hardboard was definitely a large part of Bill's strategy, and in 2009 Deri won maproll on all 3 finals matches to play on his trainstation. All three are excellent players, and used those strategies brilliantly - please don't misinterpret - I am not taking anything away from them. Would they have done well had they lost more map rolls? Maybe. But maps played a big part.

In 2010 - the map list was more restricted than ever. It was painstakingly selected and worked out great. From what I saw - the final 8 had little to do with map rolls being won. In fact - virtually no top squad was map dependant. It was a great testament to how good those players were and what great squads they had.

Let me clarify more - the NUMBER of maps on the restricted list isn't important. It's the level of abusability. With a higher number, some will inevitably slip through the cracks, and become abused.

I came up with a great strategy on Taris and won the Chicago Regional 2009. So that year tons of other players hopped on board and did the same, and the next year it was banned. (Rightfully so)

I see similar problems with many of these maps.

I hope we get a much, MUCH smaller list for Regionals and GenCon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:06 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

So what's my personal criteria? I pulled up this from an old wizards thread from November 2009, and I still stand by it:

1. Reasonable advancement possibilities (even without movement breakers) is one of the biggest. Can a characeter have a chance to quickly and safely move to gambit?

2. No across the board LOS. I beleive that you should be able to not be attacked on any map if you choose to set up defensively. (Example - on Hoth - no matter how you set up - you can be decimated in round one.) <This includes if doors are opened>

3. Walls in Gambit. Walls - not just cover, and not even doors. Ask yourself one question - can I be attacked in every square in gambit from the apponents starting area? If it's a "yes", the map has to go. This way you can, and MUST advance to gambit where action takes place.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:35 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

TimmerB123 wrote:
I want to express my opinion of this, but I don't want it to diminish any of our communities awesome mapmakers hard work.

I also don't want to have this reflect negatively on Brad or anyone else playtesting the custom maps for legality. If anything - it makes their work all the more important.

This is just my 2 cents:

Tripling our restricted map list size is a big mistake. I think even doubling it is too many. Everyone is always for more maps, more maps, more maps. I am too - but not for the restricted list. I love a wide variety of maps for fun games, scenarios, even relaxed tournaments. But for the RESTRICTED LIST, I think it needs to be a SMALL LIST. It needs to be only the cream of the crop. The best, LEAST ABUSABLE maps.

Map strategy and squad synergy with a map should always be a part of the game, but a minor part, as opposed to a dominant part. Squad building and gameplay should remain larger components. We don't want the map dice roll to become what wins a game, except in very rare cases of evenly matched squads run by evenly matched players.

In 2007, Kelly won Gencon in no small part due to using a peculiar map to his advantage. It lead to a huge uproar to ban Geonosis (along with Mustafar). In 2008 the Hardboard was definitely a large part of Bill's strategy, and in 2009 Deri won maproll on all 3 finals matches to play on his trainstation. All three are excellent players, and used those strategies brilliantly - please don't misinterpret - I am not taking anything away from them. Would they have done well had they lost more map rolls? Maybe. But maps played a big part.

In 2010 - the map list was more restricted than ever. It was painstakingly selected and worked out great. From what I saw - the final 8 had little to do with map rolls being won. In fact - virtually no top squad was map dependant. It was a great testament to how good those players were and what great squads they had.

Let me clarify more - the NUMBER of maps on the restricted list isn't important. It's the level of abusability. With a higher number, some will inevitably slip through the cracks, and become abused.

I came up with a great strategy on Taris and won the Chicago Regional 2009. So that year tons of other players hopped on board and did the same, and the next year it was banned. (Rightfully so)

I see similar problems with many of these maps.

I hope we get a much, MUCH smaller list for Regionals and GenCon

I initially wanted a smaller map list, or at least a rotating one. It was pointed out to me however, that if it met the requirement it met the requirements and Restricted wasn't necessarily an indication of numbers.

Sure, I tripled the Map list, but it was FOUR years of custom maps. I also had the leeway of taking a "wait and see" approach on some of them (Swamp Caves) as the map list has the option of being reviewed every 6 months. This gives me Regionals to shake out any problems and to update it before Gencon. It's another reason why I "spoiled" the map list to Jason for the Lansing event.

Honestly, I could have used you months ago when a lot of people who said they'd help...didn't. I probably put about 10 hours or so into each map studying it for abusability. I also ran this list by quite a few individuals expressing my and listening to their concerns on each one. Am I confident with my choices? Yes. Do I think one or two will drop off? Likely. Are either of those a bad thing? No.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next