logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:15 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I think it is basically obi-wan, force spirit, but it grants cover. What I'm saying though is that if you can have someone nearby with force push or flame, or lighting, then you can mess up han and his buddy that activated him. It's just a matter of waiting, if you can afford to do it.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:57 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

I know I am super excited about Han Sickle no matter what y'all say. I am gonna start making some capture the Han scenarios.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:40 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

That is why (if I use Hanscikle) I'll wait for the end of the round before I send in the swoops (great idea - better than Commando Speeder, IMO) to unfreeze him.

But, I still don't think I'm going to use him - too hit or miss (and I like my Charging Assault!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:46 pm 

Depending on the speed of the troop cart I may use that to free Han then he can get in and shoot stuff. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:50 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

thejumpingflea wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
However, it seems like a smart opponent will just sit back and let you come to him, shooting you up as you go. Then, once you defrost Han, your opponent has had plenty of time to set up his pieces in such a way that Han will last 1 round, maybe 2; either that, or the rest of your squad is gonna bet poached heavily. Half-price or not, Hansickle probably won't be worth his points most of the time.

So don't go for Hansickle. Sit in Gambit and get up on points. Your opponent has to advance. If they do you can get Han easier when you are engaged with the opponent. If they sit back and wait with him you will win by Gambit.

Yes, I'm aware of the strategic options that exist for the Rebel player. Gambit, baiting, rushing, etc. All of them can be useful, depending on your squad build. Doing a flanking run with a swoop bike or speeder bike might be useful once you lure your opponent away from Han. But what I'm saying is that he looks to be more of a strategic hindrance than a help. Either you spend 15-23pts on nothing, or you spend those points (and probably often lose them shortly afterward) in getting to him.

Furthermore, I would expect that most Han minis would be less effective off on their own than they would be with the rest of their squad. No version of Han is a stand-alone beatstick, unfortunately. Han Scoundrel relies on Spirit Obi and Princess Leia to be most effective. Spirit Obi will take all year long to get to the other side of the board (:D), while PL will be shot before she gets there. So if you take Han SC, you'll likely end up with a good fig that's stranded all alone...it could take him a round or two before he's back with his support, where he is most effective. I'm not saying he's useless out there on his own, but just less effective. Same with RH, who is best when sharing his CE with the squad's big hitters. Worth noting is that Han ST's CE is good from anywhere, so he might be useful in that way; plus, he has Stealth, which makes him harder for your opponent to guard easily...Han ST essentially requires the attention of an accurate shooter in order to guard well.

Still, though, one of the basic strategic rules of SWM is to try to avoid spreading your forces out too thinly. It seems that Hansickle puts you behind the 8-ball in that regard.

However, a benefit to using Hansickle may be that you end up flanking your opponent once Han comes alive, and that could be really useful, if/when you can make it work. Map choice will probably be a big factor in the choice to use or not to use Hansickle.

These are my opinions, and I'm open to being proved wrong in them after the set release. :) But to me, Hansickle currently just seems to give too much influence to your opponent. A good opponent will be able to make Hansickle a liability for you, and not the other way around.

There is no question that Hansickle, if he sees a lot of use, will require BOTH squads to play with a great deal of finesse and strategy...and that, I think, is a very good thing. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:51 pm 

Hansickle is a waste of a piece and a whatever R or VR slot it used.

A complete gimmie to people who only like the movies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:45 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

only like the movies might be a bit strong; it's a nod to collectors, scenarios, and OT LOVERS before competitive gamers. That's 1 piece out of 60. Just about everything else in this set is focused on shaking up the meta let this one piece go to collectors.

Last edited by punxnbutter on Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:53 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

So is Chewbacca of Hoth. So is Princess Leia of Cloud City. So is Wedge... again. There are quite a few minis in this set that I don't see any reason to collect. For a huge set, this is not at all a bad thing. I think I'll be buying singles, and maybe one case. Don't get me wrong, there are several that I really like, but quite a bit of junk too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:13 pm 

Lord_Nihl wrote:

I love the concepts Hansickle brings its very interesting to have the choice between all of em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:14 pm 

barzillai wrote:
So is Chewbacca of Hoth. So is Princess Leia of Cloud City. So is Wedge... again. There are quite a few minis in this set that I don't see any reason to collect. For a huge set, this is not at all a bad thing. I think I'll be buying singles, and maybe one case. Don't get me wrong, there are several that I really like, but quite a bit of junk too.

Wait Wedge... again???
Wedge was amazing he gives Biggs and Luke HOY evade. How can he be a waste of a slot in UH? Have u seen Nute Gunray??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:21 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Zac_Attack wrote:
barzillai wrote:

Wait Wedge... again???
Wedge was amazing he gives Biggs and Luke HOY evade. How can he be a waste of a slot in UH? Have u seen Nute Gunray??

Dr. Evasan and Ponda Baba....

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:24 pm 

thejumpingflea wrote:
Zac_Attack wrote:
barzillai wrote:

Wait Wedge... again???

Dr. Evasan and Ponda Baba....

Thanks for the support Flea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:27 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I have to say Chewbacca of Hoth is a bit of waste if we're going to mention crummy mini stats. With the right build Leia has a definite place. I bet she'll be more useful not right after this release but the next one. All of these force sensing characters are probably building towards some new meta squads to be seen in '08.

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:38 pm 

punxnbutter wrote:
I have to say Chewbacca of Hoth is a bit of waste if we're going to mention crummy mini stats. With the right build Leia has a definite place. I bet she'll be more useful not right after this release but the next one. All of these force sensing characters are probably building towards some new meta squads to be seen in '08.

As if we needed anymore super stealth ugh. Lets hope not. But yeah I feel that there was a lot more they could have done with Chewie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:43 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Lord_Nihl wrote:

I like the hansickle piece, but I like more than just the movies, I also like kotor and I'll probably read some of the books eventually. Anyways, I don't know if the hansickle will be competive or not, but I'll try out the fig to see if it is competive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:58 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Lord_Nihl wrote:

I agree it's something they could have held off in lieu of a different piece, but I think the piece has some major potential in skirmish play. 14 points to get Han in Stormtrooper Armor in play on the first or second round? That would be crazy.

You basically grab Luke's Snowspeeder, move it 32 squares (or less) at the end of a round, and then you have Han sitting in the middle of the enemy ready for a Furious Assault. Or, you can even get Han Scoundrel in there for 23 points, with a Cunning/Twin on the first phase of the game.

I think it will be one of those pieces that beats the crap out of people's squads for about the first 4-6 games until the opponent figures out where to put it so it can't hurt them.

If you're running B&B, though, you just don't want to start round 2 or 3 with Thrawn staring at Han Scoundrel in Thrawn's starting area.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:06 pm 

Boris wrote:
Lord_Nihl wrote:

I agree it's something they could have held off in lieu of a different piece, but I think the piece has some major potential in skirmish play. 14 points to get Han in Stormtrooper Armor in play on the first or second round? That would be crazy.

You basically grab Luke's Snowspeeder, move it 32 squares (or less) at the end of a round, and then you have Han sitting in the middle of the enemy ready for a Furious Assault. Or, you can even get Han Scoundrel in there for 23 points, with a Cunning/Twin on the first phase of the game.

I think it will be one of those pieces that beats the crap out of people's squads for about the first 4-6 games until the opponent figures out where to put it so it can't hurt them.

If you're running B&B, though, you just don't want to start round 2 or 3 with Thrawn staring at Han Scoundrel in Thrawn's starting area.

Wow Boris thats exactly what I was thinking. Well said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:24 pm 

@punxbutter,
The majority of figs in this game, especially Rares and VRs are a tribute to people who like OT and movie stuff.

No way around it. Its too bad Wotc makes the pieces based on marketing and not the actual idea of Star Wars, which is so much better and vast than those oh so horribly acted movies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:40 pm 

Lord_Nihl wrote:
@punxbutter,
The majority of figs in this game, especially Rares and VRs are a tribute to people who like OT and movie stuff.

No way around it. Its too bad Wotc makes the pieces based on marketing and not the actual idea of Star Wars, which is so much better and vast than those oh so horribly acted movies.

BLASPHEMY!!! Anyway and when we do get EU figs they are all VRs I mean look: Quinlon Vos, Baron Fel, Luke JM, Warmaster, Bastila, Kun, Bane, Malak, Ulic, Jacen, Jaina, HK47, Talon Karrde, Nym, Mandalore, Aurra, Thrawn, and Nihilus. I think once we should get good EU figs that aren't super hard to pull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:05 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The original UH Wedge Antilles was definitely a waste at the time he was released, when he could only help Rebel Pilots and Shistavanen Pilots. Now he's got a few more friends, but still nothing really competitive... maybe Luke HPU will be what he needed. And as for the new Wedge... I think I'd rather have a Quarren Assassin. Or maybe Greedo. At least they have a chance of hitting something and doing 20 damage.

So far I've identified 5 VR's I don't really need because I don't think they are particularly well designed or competitive, at least not for my play style: Chewbacca of Hoth (no Momentum), Han Solo of Hoth (no Accurate!?), Hansicle (sorry, not giving that much control to my opponent), Vader's Apprentice Unleashed (inferior to similarly costed Vaders), and Boba Fett, Mercenary (inferior to BH). I suspect Luke's Snowspeeder will join the list too. But so far, not too many dud Rares, only Wedge, Princess Leia of Cloud City, and maybe 2-1B. This set's not going to cost me as much as it could have. Ah, who am I kidding, I'll probably blow the savings on a couple extra Rancor riders...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next