logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Meta-game terms and other references of SWM
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:58 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I thought I would put this thread up for easy reference of unfamiliar game terms, like B&B, or other general concepts that may be mentioned. This may not be the best place, but I couldn't find any place that was a perfect fit.

So, I will start with these. Feel free to add new terms and acronyms as they become relevant:

Rock - Squads centered around 1 or 2 heavy-hitters with high damage output. Paper beats these by overwhelming the one or two dominant characters.

Paper - High activations, often with a built-in gimmick that allows them to win. Scissors beats these by cutting down the activations, or outmaneuvering the gimmick device.

Scissors - Squads with mid-level costs that are more fragile, but have better damage output. Rock beats these by dealing out heavy damage in a single turn or two.

B&B - An acronym for Black and Blue, a squad designed around Vader, Thrawn, and Mas Amedda.

Nom Bomb - A squad full of Stealth characters, Nom Anor, and usually 1 or 2 shooters like Aurra Sing or Boba Enforcer.

Force Chargers - A squad centered around Rebel characters with Force Push and Han Solo in Stormtrooper Armor.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

Post subject: Re: Meta-game terms and other references of SWM
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:12 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Does Doombot create his own Meta, by virtue of what he allows? For instance the R2Kotabomb... or the R2<insert choppy here>meleeblender?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:55 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Grambo wrote:
Does Doombot create his own Meta, by virtue of what he allows? For instance the R2Kotabomb... or the R2<insert choppy here>meleeblender?

yes

Interesting take on it there Boris, I hadn't thought of rock/paper/scissors before. Kind of explains why I have been faring as I have at the local scene lately, also why I did so well about 3 sets ago.

Lawn Mower: Any squad utilizing Princess leia Rebel Hero's Commander effect to effectively increase the number of targets to either lightsaber sweep, force repulse, or Unleash the Force.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:17 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Super Troopers: Squads centered around giving stormtroopers/ any other kind of trooper, additional abilities and attributes such as accurate shot, Opportunist, Mobile attack, and advantageous Cover.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:46 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Door Control: Refers to abilities that control the doors on a map (Really now?) such as Overide to open/close then at a distance. Door gimmick to open at a distance. Last, and not least, Satchel Charge to compleatly remove a door from the game.

"Know that much may happen here, but above all, do not forget this—you may trust in me. We cradle each other's lives, and what threatens one of us, threatens us both. And if you find you cannot trust me, trust in your training. Trust in yourself. Never doubt what you have done." Kreia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:40 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I've get a few terms I WISH I had specific definitions for... I don't get to tournaments very often. So could you please define:

Meta
Beatstick
Tier (I, II, etc.)
Gambit
all the many acronyms that get used on this site (ie MTB, SS, JWM, etc.)
Thrubble (or any other clever word combinations)
____ Cannon

And many more. Granted, I actually figured out what most of these terms mean, but to a new user like me that doesn't want to have to read endless threads and guess as to what they mean, I think it would be helpful. And any other terms that you can think of, however random, can you please post those, too?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:10 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Meta - usually refers to the dominant squads on a global level, sometimes people use it to refer to their local Meta as well. A simpler definition would be 'what gets played a lot and wins a lot'.

Beatstick - Any melee character with beefy stats, solid SAs and FPs to go with them. Think Darth Bane or Darth Vader, Jedi Hunter.

Tier (I, II, III) - levels of competitiveness of a given character or squad. Tier I being the most competitive (think Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter).. and the lower ones being less competitive.

Gambit - refers to either the Gambit Zone.. a 6x6 diamond in the center of the map or the type of game.. A Gambit match would be one that follows all the stipulations of the DCI floor rules

MTB - Munn Tactics Broker
SS - usually means 'Super Stealth'
Luke's SS - Luke's Snowspeeder
Luke's LS - Luke's Landspeeder
JWM - Jedi Weapon Master
GAT - Grand Admiral Thrawn
BFBH - Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter
RS - Rebel Storm
CS - Clone Strike
RotS - Revenge of the Sith
UH - Universe
BH - Bounty Hunters
CotF - Champions of the Force
A&E - Alliance and Empire
TFU - The Force Unleashed
LotF - Legacy of the Force
HBP - Hoth Battle Pack

Thrubble - Thrawn's Ysalamiri Bubble
Loda - Luke Skywalker and Yoda (from The Force Unleashed)
Felcor or Francor - Felucian Warrior on Rancor (from The Force Unleashed)

___ Cannon - (example Han Cannon) any squad centered around one powerful shooter with a lot of support pieces.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:41 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Over on BLoomilk someone was asking what Doombot is and was directed to this thread. So I thought I would update it with some of the terms and acronyms that threw me at first.

Doombot - R2-D2 Astromech
GOWK - General Obi Wan Kenobi
GMLS - Grand Master Luke Skywalker
Flobi - (Didn't confuse me, but will post him anyways) Obi Wan Kenobi, Jedi General
Yobuck - Yoda on Kybuck
Uggie - Ugnaught Demolitionist
GGDAC - General Grievous, Droid Army Commander

_______ Cannon - Refers to a squad based around using CEs from Princess Leia, Imperial Officer, Bothan Noble to grant an extra attack to another of your minis, preferably a heavy hitter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:49 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

What about the term Movement Breaker? That one threw me at first until I figured it out from context.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:29 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

thalaric wrote:
What about the term Movement Breaker? That one threw me at first until I figured it out from context.

That is a good one

Movement Breaker - Anything that allows a piece to travel further around the board than it's typical Speed would allow it. This is a general term and typically refers to abilities that are actually triggered by another character, such as Luke, Rebel Commando's Levitate, Thrawn's "swap" Commander Effect, R2-D2 Astromech Droid's Tow Cable, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:09 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

It generally implies you'd be able to attack or otherwise activate as well.

For example, Accellerate and Wheel mode are generally thought of as movement breakers because you aren't getting an attack in too.

Perhaps the more generalize way to say it is that a movement breaker allows a character to get into position to attack further than the typical 6 squares from its starting position?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:24 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

True. That's why I sort of added the bit about it being something that typically occurs during a different character's turn. But there might be a better way to word it overall.