logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: No Snow, no Bane
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:19 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

This is an answer and a serious threat to Snowspeeder- and Bane-Swap-Squads at 150 points.

Mara Jade, Jedi :mj:
Lobot
General Wedge Antilles
Gha Nachkt
Luke Skywalker, Force Spirit
General Dodonna
2 Ugnaught Demolitionist
9 Mouse Droids

Doesn't look too dangerous? Well, I brought six more mouse droids as reinforcements as well as a Muun Tactics Broker. Worked as the equivalent of an atomic bomb versus Snowspeeder- and Bane-Squads: Come too close and you'll die.

Post subject: Re: No Snow, no Bane
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:56 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, it certainly has a ton of activations, and it might work good against those specific squads, but how do you handle other things like Yobuck or Lancer Droids? Anything that can survive your first round of attacks (i.e., has more than 120 HP) will give you trouble as well. Come to think of it, Yobuck would EASILY trash this squad, as it would just run through and kill all your fodder, leaving your MTB alive to slowly kill off your main pieces. :P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:02 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

LoboStele wrote:
Well, it certainly has a ton of activations, and it might work good against those specific squads, but how do you handle other things like Yobuck or Lancer Droids? Anything that can survive your first round of attacks (i.e., has more than 120 HP) will give you trouble as well. Come to think of it, Yobuck would EASILY trash this squad, as it would just run through and kill all your fodder, leaving your MTB alive to slowly kill off your main pieces. :P

Agreed. This is, more or less, a hate squad. And while those are good at what they do, they can rarely go the distance outside of facing against the squads they were built to take down.

To be perfectly honest though, I dont think this has a huge advantage over either of the two squad types thats its built to counter. With no movement breaker, the Bane swap and the sheer movement ability of the snowspeeder will likely make it rough for Mara to get her work done, especially when her biggest back up is in the form of Wedge.

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:14 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Actually, yeah, the MTB engine squad with both Mara Jedi AND Han GH was played at Gencon 2008, and I went Top 8 with it, as did Lackey, though we ultimately both ended up getting knocked out of the top. It's been a good build in the past, but not strong enough to be competitive against ALL the other squad types. It's exceptionally good against some things, but really falls short against some others.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:00 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Of course, you are right. There are, like always, squads that would be unbelievable hard to overcome with this one.
I designed it for the German championship in April this year, expecting to show up half the players with Bane - the rest with Snowspeeder squads. Cause I was right, I did pretty well. The only loss was to Xavier Prein (Hall of Famer from France), who was wise enough to change his usual Reinforcements-Set to a Tactics Broker - word about "the MTB with 15 mice" spread fast after the second round.
This way, my advantage against his Imperial Bane was gone. Sadly I was to eager to kill his Ozzel which he presented out on the open floor of the Rancor Pen. Game ended narrow - neither of the big pieces died.

In the other qualification games I wiped out one Speeder squad, managed to scare off another one, so I won by gambit points. First round was an easy win against a hodgepodge of new bounty hunters. The last game was against a Bane-squad with, if I remember correctly, 17 Rodian brutes. The other guy was also too afraid and started his offense 5 minutes before the time out came. With 4-1 and 68,00 OMW I came in second.

For the final the rules were changed - no time limit! This way I had to give up the first match against the 17-Brutes-squad. He had chosen the train station and I had no chance to reach his walled-in Bane without sacrificing :mj: .
Last action (after a drop by Prein) was an easy win against a young one, who played Bane-swap on the Revenge-starter-map. He only had 13 activations, positioned and played them poorly (his Bane fired all his shots against an unactivated mouse I brought in via Lobot) and didn't even realized what crucial mistake he had just made. Bane was exactly 20 squares away from Mara, so I just told him: "You lost!" End of story. 5th place for me.

For this tournament the squad was just perfect. The new German champion was the only player with a Yobuck btw. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:53 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Well done.

Sounds like you played your squad very well. The question is, though, did you have fun?

This is a game, after all. ;)

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:21 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Yeah, I did.

The look on the faces of the opponents when they were seeing the 15 mice was priceless. On the other hand I really enjoyed the fact that my squad was unique - nobody else used a Tactics Broker or a Mara. They were all going for Bane and Snowspeeder at this time. It was at least slightly daring to use something this unexpected.
And there was always a moment when the guy on the other side of the table - sometimes smiling cocky - realised what my squad was capable of, how it worked. I just wish I had take pictures: Pure panic in one case. :fight2:

My fun had something to do with fact this being a hate-squad. But the matches were still nice. I remember the first guy, an American living in Germany btw, rushing forward with all his might to kill Mara. He hit her a few times, but ultimately lost every piece. What a glorious and brave way to go. Way cooler than hiding the main shooter in the set-up area for five rounds, just to shoot at an innocent mouse 30 seconds before the time-out.