logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Gungan Massed Battle Squads
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:45 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Hello there I'm only posting here just to get some advice and also how you would do this.

The Battle in question is Grassy Plains now in my Battle i had the Gungans set up in 10 main groups/squads of 30 figures,and then broken down further to 15 figure squads.

Each squad/sub squad had a Gungan Bounty Hunter acting as an officer and a Gungan Infantry figure acting as bodyguard.

Now my BattleDroids were set up in squads of 18 figures with 1 Officer and a Security Droid acting as a bodyguard.

So the Gungans had 10 groups/squads of 30 figures each and then broken down into sub squads of 15 figures each,which gives the Gungans 300 foot troops.

In addition the Gungans also had 4 groups/squads of Kaadu(6 figures each) which gives the Gungans an overall force of 324 figures(plus a small number of other troops).

The Battledroids has 20 squads of 18 figures each for a total of 360 figures set up with many more to come.

Now we used our own set of rules to play this out but with this number of figures could this Battle be used with the WOTC rules?

Gideon

Post subject: Re: Gungan Massed Battle Squads
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:19 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I think you could use the WOTC rules to play that game, but it would probably take days. With 600+ figures to activate, move & fire individually you're looking at HOURS per round, even with the individual moves being very simple.

Of course, the survivability of figures depends on how you're handling the terrain (playing on/off the grid) and stuff like missiles/grenades but I still think it wouldn't be fun.

If you want to play a game with the WOTC rules, I suggest tweaking the activation mechanics as follows: Organize your army into 60-80 point squads. Each squad becomes an activation, and players alternate activating one squad at a time. I am currently working on some mass battle rules to this effect.

Post subject: Re: Gungan Massed Battle Squads
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:31 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Thanks for the input i just wanted to see if it was feesable using the WOTC rules.

But for myself i've ran this game 5 times using homebrew rules and the game lasts around 6 hours.

In my game you roll dice for everyone in the group/squad so for example the Droids having an 18 figure group rolls 18 times,that helps alot.

My game is card driven and when a Joker is pulled i check the Special Events table i roll a 20 sided die to see what happens.

In my game if i roll a 1 or 20 then the Droid Control ship blows up and the game ends but it can't happen on the first turn.

Gideon