logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Dean's Post Gencon Report
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:17 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Ok so this is going to be really long so I may not do it all in one post.

This year's Gencon we were literally as a community on our own. Unfortunately some dont know this Gencon LLC did not take us very seriously in some of our requests. Fortunately after the first tourney they saw the error of their ways and help was much more forthcoming.

I took a rather large chance by doing this. There were a ton of unknowns. I say this not to impress you but to help you understand that we were dealing with quite a few unknown variables that previously we had never dealt with. This was not because of the change of Jim to me but moreso the change of no wizards backing the game.

I tell you all of this so I can get to one of the biggest points I can make.

I want to thank this community. This is the most awesome community there is. You guys showed up and showed them that Star Wars Miniatures is alive and well. You guys turned a financial gamble into a win for me by the fact I am not broke and my wife is killing me. For that I owe all of you my gratitude.

I want to address some things as I heard things come up during the weekend.

1. The prize support was less.

- Well hell yes it was less. We are dealing with a game that has been ended by its parent company. I also unfortunately was made some promises by Miniature Market that were ignored. Yes there was less prize support we had less to give away. The dropoff was not huge and in an attempt to compensate for that. I opened 8 cases of minis and put them on a table for anyone and I mean anyone to get what they needed to complete their sets.

2. Seating was strange for the tournaments

- yes it was. It was an oversight on everyones part not just aarons. We just did not realize or think of making sure it gave out a table number. This is not an excuse just the truth.

I wanted all of you to come away with a postive experience from Gencon. I hope we accomplished that.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

Post subject: Re: Dean's Post Gencon Report
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:28 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Ok some more thoughts.

I wanted to thank my judging team this year and in particular some specific people who stepped up big time.

There were glitches the week, the day, and during Gencon. These people jumped right in and never said we cant.... they just did it. Unfortunately not everyone managed to do that but that is not what this is about.

Brad Phillips - Thanks is not word enough for the job you did. You rock and I cannot thank you enough.

Bill Russell - Great Job---- you guys gave your expectations for the championships and held folks to them. Cannot say enough. It has taken two years but I think people are finally catching up with what we are trying to do.

Ray Becker - Terrific job as always. --- You jumped in on the Hoth Fiasco... you judged and kept things light hearted. Your warmth and gentleness in the mass battles really helps when it comes to dealing with guys that just want to kill things. As always great job.

Aaron Brueckman - not on the judging team but jumped everytime there was a software issue. CAN I SAY THIS NOW!!!!! It works and it is FREAKIN AWESOME!!!! I know we need some tweaks like table assignments but hell it worked.!!!!!

The Michigan Boys - You guys I cannot say enough for. These guys were my backers... my supporters.... They knew how rough some things got and all they said was what can we do to help!!!! Holy CRAP you dont know how much mentally you guys helped me by just making me laugh!!!! No man can find a set of more loyal folks out there.

Jim Fraser - For letting me take the reigns and just having a good time. Thank you for the diplomacy on weds. nite when I was preparing to figure out if I could get to the van and out of town before the police got there. I was seriously going to kill someone. You then followed that up with making my weekend..... You are the classiest of the all.

This FREAKIN AWESOME COMMUNITY!!!!! You guys are the best..... I cannot thank you enough for the support. honestly without you I would have lost my ass. You guys kept coming up and thanking me.... GeeeeeZZZZZ!!! without you I am nothing really.

So what can I say I am thankful and most of all blessed to know all of you.

Next post my play for the weekend.

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:57 am 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Ok time for the play report. I will keep it short and touch more of the feelings and my respect for my opponents.

I played first in the Mystery Map tourney. I went 2-2 which was great because honestly I was just goofing off and I assumed everyone else playing in was too. I had a good time in the event even though I had to break off and deal with the GENCON LLC guys a couple of times. The maps were great and Matt I must say they were interesting which is what we asked for. I know some complained that one of the maps was too shooty. But lets be honest it wasnt too shooty it just was something folks weren't prepared for and that kind of upped the difficulty level which to me made it fun.

So 2-2 for the that tourney which was perfect since it was just for fun.

I then played in the Team Event which is always fun. Team Hooters did not have an awesome day but that is ok again this is a a fun tourney and being as I knew what the prize was I did not really want to win. Not that the prize wasnt good but because out team basically did not need it. I did honor the tradition I have started of ruining someone championship's hopes.

Last year facing Trevor Tint (he was a top 8 in 2008) I beat him in the team event. The following day no Top 8 for Trevor.

This year I faced Eric Ruhk (he was a top 8 in 2009). My understanding is I gave him his only loss during the tournament. The following day Eric missed the Top 8.

I think we can all see a trend here. I am the kiss of death to anyone who has previously made the Top 8. I expect that next year my matchups will have that being considered. Dont tempt fate is all I can say. Other traditions about the Championship held true. Like the Champion getting drunk the night before. The fact that going undefeated in regular swiss is also the kiss of death to winning. So seriously next year please dont tempt fate.

I will continue in another post

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:06 am 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Now my championship report.

I must say I came in 9th which considering I hav not played in it for 4 years is not bad when you add in I have not played for 4 months prior any serious minis. I would say the major kick in the crotch came when I was informed that if one of my opponents I have beat that ended up dropping (there were 2) had played one more game I would have made the Top8. Oh well I had no real intentions of winning the Champs I just wanted to play for fun and see if I still measured up. Considering that I finished 9th and had one of the more brutal schedules I guess I did ok.

I was impressed by Urbanjedis Lancer squad. He is a great opponent and fun guy. I was disappointed that I had a real shot to win and couple of things just bit my butt. one of them my doing and the other well it is just part of them game.

1. I sent yobuck on a long gallop thinking that Sidious had activated..... Whoops! He had not. That kind of hurt things.

2. Saves were not my friend.... either in this game or mine with Aaron/Lobostele... but hey that is just part of the game.

my other loss on the day was to Aaron. We played mirror squads and really we werent goig to fool anyone so we just came at each other. It was great fun. The tide was turned when Aaron was able to triple crit during a gallop. One of the crits was on a Brute so no big deal the other two were devastating as the hit Ani and I compoounded the pain by fainling all saves Djem-So and Lightsaber Defense. Oh well that is part of the game and I have benfitted from that as many times as I have been hurt by it.

So I finished 9 th for the day and would not play on Sunday. I can live with it and again considering I have not played in four months I was happy.

Next post my triumph!!!!

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:12 am 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

Ok so we also had the fist ever SSB Champs at Gencon.... I mean why not?

I am happy to say I identified the Meta well. I am also happy to say that both Darth Ted and I are the 2010 co-World Champs of SSB!!!!!!

Does that mean I get a white Grand Admiral uniform????

Anyways it was great fun and I had a blast. We just need to do it earlier in the evening.

Well since I am practically posting my experience there is one final person to say congrats too!!!!

Daniel aka Echo Stephens from Atlanta.

2010 Gencon / World Champ!!!! Great Job and Great Attitude!!! I cannot emphasize how glad I am to see someone with a good atittude win it all. What a deserving young man.

I would now like to thank the folks that were there and say that I enjoyed spending what little time I had availible talking to you or eating with you. All of you are great guys!!!!! You guys make this the best gaming community on earth!!!!!

I am done anyone can post that wants too!!!!

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:22 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Sounds great. My question/ concern is if the Gencon LLC people were giving you issues this year, when the game was just dropped, what are they going to be like next year (assuming the game isnt revived by then, of course)?

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:54 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

dnemiller wrote:

Well since I am practically posting my experience there is one final person to say congrats too!!!!

Daniel aka Echo Stephens from Atlanta.

2010 Gencon / World Champ!!!! Great Job and Great Attitude!!! I cannot emphasize how glad I am to see someone with a good atittude win it all. What a deserving young man.

Thanks, Dean. That means a lot coming from you.

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:33 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

What kinds of problems did GenCon LLC give you?

I love reading all the reports, still wish luck woulda favored me and allowed me to go but since I believe in Karma I'm expecting something HUGE to come my way soon, lol.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:36 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

Dean, even if you had a few more SOS points it wouldn't have mattered as I beat you Head to Head and that comes before SOS unless you would also have catapulted over whoever was 7th as well.

BTW our game was great even if you did forget that a particular someone hadn't activated.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:32 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

no it would not have effected you Jason it would have effected me. I think in other words I would been 8th and you maybe bumped 7th.

i dont know the math I just know the SOS was hurt by 2 opponents dropping.

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:59 am 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

pfffff, if I had gotten a full win in that one match, then I would have beaten both of you! Darn 3-2 system that discourages slow play! :)

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:07 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully

You would have been 7th Jason. As it was, you really were 7th. You and 7 were exactly tied. I don't remember what it was that broke the tie, but it was not SoS :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:13 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

billiv15 wrote:
You would have been 7th Jason. As it was, you really were 7th. You and 7 were exactly tied. I don't remember what it was that broke the tie, but it was not SoS :)

No, I don't think their SOS was tied. I think Wes had a couple % pts higher because he had an opponent or two drop. The totals for Opponent's Match Win percentage was something like 23-13 for Jason (had no opponents drop) and 23-10 for Wes (had 3 missed games due to drops).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:40 am 

LoboStele wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

No, I don't think their SOS was tied. I think Wes had a couple % pts higher because he had an opponent or two drop. The totals for Opponent's Match Win percentage was something like 23-13 for Jason (had no opponents drop) and 23-10 for Wes (had 3 missed games due to drops).

Oh, I thought they were tied. I guess I remembered it wrong. :) Maybe I was thinking had there been no "drops" that they would have been, who knows lol.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:50 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

billiv15 wrote:
LoboStele wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

Oh, I thought they were tied. I guess I remembered it wrong. :) Maybe I was thinking had there been no "drops" that they would have been, who knows lol.

Yeah, I think that's what it was. If Wes' opponents that dropped had stayed and played and kept losing, then they would've been tied.

EDIT: Or, if we counted Drops as losses for OWM%, then they would've been tied. That's what it was.