logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Any info on Gencon Top 8-16 squads?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:39 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Basically the title says it all. I'm curious about the top squadlists, and so far we've only gotten only a few of them on here or in Bloomilk squads' page. I think a lot of others would be interested to see them, too :) (not that it takes a rocket scientist to figure out what a Skybuck squad consists of, but still...)

So go on and post 'em!

Post subject: Re: Any info on Gencon Top 8-16 squads?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:59 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I have ALL of the squad sheets from the tournament. I'm waiting on Dean to send me the tournament file, and then I can match everything up. I'll be putting together a full article of sorts on it. Just be patient. Takes time to put all of that stuff together. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:31 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Thats great! Looking forward to it ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:24 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Just a real quick question, who won GenCon?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:27 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Daniel Stephens won. He was playing Rebels.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:37 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I'll just go ahead and post my Championship report right here:
I played Skybuck:

51 Yoda on Kybuck
47 General Skywalker
28 Dash Rendar, RS
27 Lobot
23 Captain Panaka
09 R2 Astromech
08 Mas Amedda
04 Gran Raider
03 Ugnaught Demolitionist

200pts, 9 activations. [Normal reinforcements: Ugnaught/Caamasi/Brute x4] Map: Jedi Temple/Hall of Judgment.

None of my games went to time (as expected when playing Yobuck).

Round 1 vs Gunther: ERC x4, Han Smuggler, Leia, Rieekan, Dodonna, fodder
We played on my map, and I set up on the left side. The early rounds basically consisted of Yobuck charging out to kill fodder and put damage on the ERCs (their AOOs were only +7s for 10dmg), and then being swapped away to safety. At the end of one round I charged Yobuck in for the kill on Han (after swapping), but then lost the next initiative, which meant that Yobuck took his last 60dmg from an ERC Cunning Twin. But by that point I was already ahead on activations and my Dash/Anakin were unharmed, and they cleaned up Yobuck’s mess.
58 minutes, 1-0.

Round 2 vs Grey Whitsett (AdmiralGreybar): Luke’s SS, Han Smuggler, Leia, Crix, ERC, Rieekan, Dodonna, fodder. I was scared because Grey had won several tournaments, including his Regional, with this squad; I afterward learned that he was 20-0 with this squad in competitive play before coming to the Championships.
We played on his Chancellor’s Starship and I chose the left side. During the first round I positioned my pieces north of the door, so that if Grey wanted to shoot anything he’d have to commit the SS into the gambit zone, where I’d be able to put 60dmg on the SS with Anakin if I won the next init (Anakin took some damage from the SS, but survived). I did win the next init, so Anakin put 60dmg on the SS and returned to Panaka’s side for bodyguarding. Grey responded by moving the SS in for a Twin on Anakin, but Panaka bodyguarded the damage, and now the SS was within Yobuck’s easy kill range; Grey moved Crix up to protect the SS, but I found a square adjacent to the SS that was 7 squares away from Crix, so the SS went down. After that, things moved quickly. The next round, Han died to a Yobuck crit (which might’ve made a significant difference in the game), and Yobuck took a pile of damage, but by this point I had more damage output than the Rebels could handle, so I won.
50 minutes, 2-0.

Round 3 vs Philip Carlisle (Joruus C’baoth): Luke’s LS, Ferus, Hantaun, Leia, Bothan, Juno, Rieekan, Dodonna, mice & ugs (and no door control)
We played on my map, with me on the left again. I did not set up well, so that Han had the possibility for a Round 1 cunning shot vs R2 if I didn’t move R2 right away. In hindsight, that ended up costing me a lot, if not actually the entire game. I managed to keep R2 safe that round and still get a Yobuck gallop off, but R2 died the next round. But then the Landspeeder-Tank (as I now refer to it) with LS/Ferus/Juno making it hard to kill slowly but steadily moved in on my pieces and cannon-ed my pieces to death. There really wasn’t anything I could do about Philip’s activations since he kept his fodder spread out all over the map to prevent me from galloping them all at once (thanks to the advice I gave him earlier that week!!!!). So with a crazy activation lead and a nigh-unkillable LS-Tank, it wasn’t pretty for my squad.
45 minutes, 2-1. I now knew I had to win at least 2 of my next 3, and likely all 3, if I was to make the Top 8.

Round 4 vs Greg Sutton: Mara, HanGH, Ganner, Anakin, fodder
This game was intense! Much respect to Greg. We played on my map, with me on the left again. I was SO very tempted to make a Round 1 gallop which would’ve hit many pieces, but it would’ve been very risky for init the next round, but I resisted the temptation. (After the game, Greg said he was really hoping I’d make that gallop, too.) Yobuck galloped Greg’s whole squad in the 2nd round, taking a few hits on AOOs but considering them well-worth the benefit. In the 3nd round Mara moved up too close, and so I swapped in Dash to Momentum-strike her, but I rolled poorly and only put 70 on her rather than 120, so Yobuck had to come in from 16 squares away for the last two hits (failed block). Dash was at 30hp at this point, so an Unleash by Anakin finished him off. We almost forgot to make Ganner roll the save, but then Greg remembered (sportsmanship award to him!) and took 30dmg after a fprr. At this point, I’ve put damage on all Greg’s pieces, and I’ve got Yobuck and Anakin left. I killed Han with Anakin, and then Anakin and Ganner fell relatively quickly after that (after another Unleash). In the last round, with only Dodonna and Gha left, Greg said to me, “Don’t move Anakin yet.” : ) So I spun a brute. Then Greg moved both Dodonna and Gha to within 10 squares of Anakin, so that I could kill them off for the full win. He said, “I wanted you to get the full win, since you deserved it.” Classy guy, eh?
54 minutes, 3-1.

Round 5 vs Austin Link: Mirror match!!! His map was Ravaged Base, and he won the map roll, I deferred side, then set up on the outside (right) after he set up. Our fodder were pretty much identical.
This game was massive carnage, right from the start, and very exciting. Near the end of the first round, Austin’s Yobuck galloped in to kill my Lobot and MAS AMEDDA (who I had moved but not kept adjacent to Panaka—d’oh!). Actually, Austin counted out the 26 squares, and then proceeded to move and attack…and then he realized that he had forgotten to declare Master Speed with Yoda. I knew that he would kill my Mas with the gallop, but I also saw that he had counted for the full 26 squares, to reach Mas on the 26th. This was a difficult decision, because losing Mas in this mirror matchup was almost instant death. But I didn’t want to win by being a jerk, so I said, “Go ahead with the full 26 anyway,” and he did. My Gran hit on an AOO (after Yoda rolled a 1), which turned out to be significant. Yobuck ended in the middle of my squad, with Anakin already activated, but Panaka/Dash/Yobuck left. Now I had to count my squares carefully, since Mas was gone, and I needed Dash to get some heavy Momentum damage on Yobuck. I moved, shot (hit), and swapped with Panaka, swapping Dash into a spot from which he could base Austin’s Yobuck and still be within 6 of my Anakin. Dash hit ¾, so Yobuck was at 40hp (10 from Gran, 20 from Panaka, 90 from Dash). Austin swapped his Yobuck out for Dash, who killed my Dash (d’oh again!...forgot to place Panaka in the right spot for bodyguarding Dash!). My Yobuck then proceeded to gallop 26 squares through most of his fodder, ending at Austin’s Yobuck. I said, “Now would be a great time for a crit!”…and then rolled a 20. Austin then failed the block, and that likely won me the game. Austin won the next init, but let me go first, so Anakin ran up to put 60dmg on Dash and ended adjacent to Panaka (I learned my lesson), who bodyguarded some return shots from Dash. By the end of the round, I had lots of fodder but no Mas or Dash, and Austin still had his Mas but had lost lots of fodder, along with Yobuck and Dash. The next round or 2 were cleanup, with my Yobuck eating through the rest of his fodder and my Anakin/Yobuck putting the finishing touches on his Anakin. This game was quick, exciting, memorable, and very enjoyable.
42 minutes, 4-1.

Round 6 vs Jason Kiernan: GGDAC, Sidious, Lancer x2, IG-86, Gha, fodder.
He won the map roll, so we played on his Muun Grand Plaza. After some frenetic humming and ha-ing, I set up on the left side (with the doors); he set up on the right, with both of his lancers able to reach my front doors at exactly 24 squares. I won init so I made him go first, and he spun a mouse. I then moved Dash to open the door, then towed Yobuck out with R2, and locked the door behind me. Yobuck was now exactly 16 squares away from Jason’s Lancers. Jason counted out his squares, and would’ve been able to kill R2, open the door, and then pawn for the 12-square strafe followed by a twin attack, against Panaka and Mas…and that in turn would’ve prevented Yobuck from being able to do the required 50dmg to the other Lancer. So he began his move; he strafed past Yobuck/R2, needing 3s to kill R2…but he rolled a 2. R2 lived, and the door stayed locked. Now Jason had to come up with a different plan, so he strafed back over R2 (hitting this time) and Yobuck, and landed his lancer near the startup area. It was now the moment of truth for me: I galloped 16 squares with Yobuck, and ended beside both Lancers and Sidious, and a Mouse. I managed to hit all my attacks, so the un-activated lancer died, the activated/pawned Lancer was sitting at 10hp, and Sidious was down to 100. Then I swapped Anakin in for Yobuck. By this point I out-activate him, so Jason knew he wouldn’t get the opportunist shots on Anakin, so he did the wise thing and based him (to prevent momentum moving), hitting once, but Anakin deflected it. It was now Anakin’s turn, and the Lancer had to die. +12 vs 21…not great odds, and the dice have failed me before…so I take a look at Anakin’s card, and voila: Force Push! I pushed the Lancer to death, and then it was a matter of Anakin and Yobuck charging in for 60dmg each vs the Droid, then GGDAC, then Sidious.
28 minutes, 5-1, and a place in the Top 8! It turns out I was in 2nd place, which isn’t bad at all.

The next morning I played my quarter-final match vs Wes Morgan: Kyle JBM, Mara, Ganner, Dash, Jag, Dodonna, fodder (the same squad that my good buddy Eric/Ruhk had played).
He won the map roll (HUGE), and so we played on Chancellor’s Starship. I set up on the left, but couldn’t get any safe gallops off because Wes positioned his pieces very well. In the 3rd round, Yobuck galloped past Ganner, Dash (crit!), Dodonna, and the R7, then swapped to safety. Wes then declared levitation and tried to move Mara in past a locked door; I asked a judge if he still had to do the levitation since he declared it, and the judge said, “At this level, yes he does.” So he levitated his Ugnaught instead. I then ran my R4 Targetting droid up and targeted Ganner with it. R2 towed Dash up to make the attacks. However, here is where I made my first mistake, which ended up costing me the game: rather than just taking 4 shots (needing 5s) vs Ganner, I forgot that Ganner was only at 70hp and moved Dash in for the momentum hits, which ended up costing me my Dash at the hand of his Dash. So now I’ve lost my only solid way of whittling Kyle down, and I’ve lost my best Mara-counter, when all I had to do was roll a 5 four times vs Ganner to kill him. Then at the end of the round, I made my other game-losing mistake: I wanted someone up beside R2 for towing capabilities (that 30hp Dash of Wes’ looked tasty), and so I ran Anakin up to R2. However, I didn’t stop to count the 12 squares that Mara could run, which brought her within 6 of Anakin. If I had won the init I would’ve been fine, since I could’ve towed Anakin away, and Mara would’ve lacked a movement breaker, but after Wes rolled a 5, I rolled a…you guessed it: 1. Mara assaulted, but missed with an attack, then crit, for a total of 100dmg vs Anakin. I’d still be fine if I could make the LS Defense save, but I failed it. Now I had only Yobuck left with 120hp vs a full Mara, full Kyle, and 30hp Dash. I made his last epic galloping charge, but died quickly afterward, and conceded the game. Full credit to Wes: he played his squad superbly, and he made it very difficult for me to get a good gallop off against his fodder.
48 minutes, 5-2, and out of the competition. I later received the 5th place trophy, made by my friends on the Michigan crew.

In the end, I was really happy with how I did. It was my 2nd Top 8 finish in 3 years, and I had to beat some very difficult opponents in order to make it that far. And who knows? If I had been able to squeak by Wes, maybe I could’ve made it past my next opponent and into the Finals again. I thoroughly enjoyed playing my squad because of its damage output capabilities, as well as its massive flexibility and movement breakers. I imagine that it will be less effective once the V-set is released, but it sure was fun for Championship play this year!

Big thanks and respect go out to each of my opponents throughout the tournament.

Big thanks also to Bill and Brad for doing an excellent job running and judging the Championships. It went smoothly and quickly, and it was lots of fun.

More big thanks to the numerous people who ran the computer and did other behind-the-scenes work throughout the weekend.

And biggest thanks to Eric for diving with me and to Phil for letting us stay at his house (less expensive than the Hyatt!).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:05 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

lonescout wrote:
Just a real quick question, who won GenCon?

That was me. I've got a full writeup about how the weekend went here: viewtopic.php?f=189&t=9568

"You can't per aspera ad astra unless there's some aspera in front of your astra. And that means sometimes the aspera gets you." - Donald X. Vaccarino

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:14 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Well done to Echo and TINT!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:24 pm 
Sithlord's Sportmanship Winner 2010
Sithlord's Sportmanship Winner 2010

thereisnotry wrote:

Round 1 vs Gunther: ERC x4, Han Smuggler, Leia, Rieekan, Dodonna, fodder
We played on my map, and I set up on the left side. The early rounds basically consisted of Yobuck charging out to kill fodder and put damage on the ERCs (their AOOs were only +7s for 10dmg), and then being swapped away to safety. At the end of one round I charged Yobuck in for the kill on Han (after swapping), but then lost the next initiative, which meant that Yobuck took his last 60dmg from an ERC Cunning Twin. But by that point I was already ahead on activations and my Dash/Anakin were unharmed, and they cleaned up Yobuck’s mess.
58 minutes, 1-0.

Great game. I had fun playing you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:00 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

I'm just wondering if we are still going to get a list of the Top 8 or 16? I'm dying to know how it all turned out, and although I have read quite a few posts on people's personal reports, I would like to find out who and what squads made the top 16.

I realize this might take some time and if it does take your time. More than anything, I would appreciate it if someone informed me that "yes there will be one, just be patient," or "it's already posted and you must be blind," or "no, there will not be a report." :D I prefer not to get the last messege. :D Thanks in advance to whoever posts it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:42 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/Details/91357

I came 10th. I lost to Jason with his double lancers and Dean (dnemiller) with a final record of 4-2. I played a more beefed up version of my Regional squad

Han GH
Mara
Ganner
Kyp
Lobot
Dodo
R7
uggie
Mouse

The idea was to forgo activations for extra beef against this squads greatest struggle, skybuck. It alters its strat by using Kyp as the 1st strike rather than Mara, so Mara plays mop up which is a much better role for a 45 point fig. Most of the time i brought in Garindan for spotter 30 on Han and Mara with an r7 or more activations.

1st round match escapes me. I just need to remeber the guys name an it will come back. I think it was a NR match v Kyle which i won due to a couple of fortunate inits.
1-0

2nd match was against jason (urban jedi) and his double lancers. On my map, (ruined base), him on the inside me on the outside.
1st 2 rounds were him strafing me down to 5 figs by sacrificing his Lancers. The rest of the game was a back and forth battle around the central rooms. Jason used his fodder screen well to get close enough to Zap while avoiding a suicidal FP5. I got his IG down to 20 with Kyp but missed the kill shot (needed 12s on 3 out of 4 rolls so it was a long shot and in hindsight the wrong option, should have FP5 an uggie adjacent to grievous so Han would have finished grievous sooner). Sid zapped Ganner then Han but Mara assaulted for the Kill but she got finished by a Grievous IG tag team. Grievous killed Ganner but was down to 10 hp. I had a shot for the game needing a 9 on grievous follwed by a 7 on the IG with Han but ended up needing both rolls to kill Grievous. In any case Han was killed by an Uggie.
close game.
1-1

3rd game was another NR match against Ruben with him using Kyle Mara, Ganner Dash and wedge. Cagey match for 2 rounds as we were maneuvering around the center fo the 1st attack. I outactivated him so It behooved me to wait for him to tap out before advancing. Ruben was hesitant to do anything because he saw no good options but once we got into it and started trading pieces things happened quickly. I took out his Ganner with mara after he went after Kyp and then won init and took out his Mara. Dash layed a beating on Mara but was quickly killed by Kyp. Han and Garindan went to work on Kyle. Kyle went down after killing Kyp and then Ruben conceded just before time and said I deserved the 3 point for his slow play earlier. A Classy move he didn’t need to do but which I really appreciated. Also a big thanks to Brad(celestial warrior) who was there as judge and made the call for a 3 point win which he also didn’t have to do so big thanks all round.
2-1

4th game pitted me against Matt Hanson with a Kyle Mara Ganner TBSV wedge squad. Took Garindan and R7 and an uggie meaning I outactivated him by a few. Set up happened faster this time and I risked init for a chance to assault his TBSV in the turbolifts. He won the init by had to take an AoO with from Kyp with Mara inorder to assault Kyp and so decided on a Jolt instead combining with wedge. The shot hit but the jolt was saved and that killed the TBSV from a kyp assault. Kyp ran and mara went for him only to be assaulted by a levi mara. The area became a choke point with fodder, I set up Garindan for spotter and finished Mara with a Han 1-2. Mara got beaten down to 10hp and she assaulted kyle before being levied out. The next round Han put 90 on and mara finished. Somewhere in the middle of that Kyp killed Ganner and Wedge.
3-1

5th game was against dean with a skybuck dash, lobot squad. He braough all swap fodder squad on the Ruined base (his map) I took the inside. This was fast and frustrating. 1st round was positioning and Dean was lamenting he was being too passive. He might have been right as I managed to get a shot with han on both R2 and lobot. Needed a 7 and a 1 to get 3-0 overrivde but only got the doombot. Dean moved up to come through bottom one square door in the central wall. I moved my squad up there so Yobuck would either take lots of AoOs getting throughto Han or Mara would get a chance on a garindan spot assault that would potentially leave Yobuck with 10 left needing 4s and above (anything but a 1 for the 1st 60dmg). I got the assault chance but rolled double 1’s on the 1st 2 so I only did 60 rather than 120-150. Dash assaulted Mara and killed her needing 6s on all 4 shots, kyp tried to return the favour needing 5’s on all 4 but failed 2 out of 4. That left dash alive and he swapped out, Yobuck enough HP to run through kyp taking 40 and hitting han for 40. Han put another 40 on Yobuck. Skywalker momentumed Kyp. As the start of the next round Skywlaker momentumed Han to death and I failed to put the last 40 on yobuck. Dash smoked Ganner and that was night,night. Its my toughest matchup and I felt I put myself in good positions it just didn’t swing my way.
3-2

Last was Aginst lou on the Jedi temple playing the same squad as Dean. I set up insideon the bottom just wanting to get into is as fast as possible. We moved to the center and I levied Kyp to try and finish r2 and his lobot added BGD but missed the 2nd swing on r2. That meant Anakin got towed over my diplomat and momentumed han after Dash had finished Kyp. I assaulted Skywalker and finished him with a push. But yobuck killed han. Yobuck galloped off after init so I pressed forward. I managed to get far enough forward that I got a levi assault on dash leaving Panaka, scrubs yobuck v ganner, mara, Garindan and some scrubs. The next round Mara finished Panaka so Yobuck had to run into the action. That enabled garindan to spot for dodonna putting 40 on yobuck. I won init and then assaulted yobuck with a garindan spot. Rolled 1 miss but the 60 dmg spot hit made the miss irrelevant.
4-2

I was frustrated with my performance. Both losses seemed very close at times but essentially there were things I could’ve done differently to possibly take the win in either case but it just wasn’t to be. I needed Dean and Jason to win their last matches but as soon as I heard they were both 4-2 I knew I was out of the top 8. My 10th place, behind both Jason (8) and Dean (9) showed that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:30 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

lonescout wrote:
I'm just wondering if we are still going to get a list of the Top 8 or 16? I'm dying to know how it all turned out, and although I have read quite a few posts on people's personal reports, I would like to find out who and what squads made the top 16.

I realize this might take some time and if it does take your time. More than anything, I would appreciate it if someone informed me that "yes there will be one, just be patient," or "it's already posted and you must be blind," or "no, there will not be a report." :D I prefer not to get the last messege. :D Thanks in advance to whoever posts it.

LoboStele wrote:
I have ALL of the squad sheets from the tournament. I'm waiting on Dean to send me the tournament file, and then I can match everything up. I'll be putting together a full article of sorts on it. Just be patient. Takes time to put all of that stuff together. :)

I do have the tournament files from Dean, but have been very busy and haven't had time to put everything together yet. Will maybe try to work on it some this weekend. Not easy putting together and typing up that info for 60 some people.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:40 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Thanks Lobostele,

I appreciate all you do for us. I look forward to seeing everything. Take your time. I was just seeing if someone was still planning on posting the info.