logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Calling all Sith experts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:03 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I usually don't play Sith, but I have developed a squad that I like, which is probably not very competitive but might be fun to play. I need some input on whether I have maximized it to the fullest, or whether I am overlooking something:

--Sith Pawn Swap--
57 Darth Sidious, Sith Master
43 Darth Maul, Sith Apprentice
35 Zuckuss, Bounty Hunter
27 Lobot
23 Jarael
6 Mouse Droid x2
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

Preferred Reinforcements:
(Lobot) 13 Chagrian Mercenary Commander
(Lobot) 4 Gran Raider
(Lobot) 3 Rodian Brute

(200pts. 13 activations)

I think the goal will be to use Jarael followed by a mouse to run up and attack, get pawned to make sure of a stun if necessary, hold her ground for a phase and then swap in Maul to finish. Another option is to swap Maul after Zuckuss has glued a fig down. The Chagrian's CE will help both Jarael and especially Maul get off some nasty damage on a critical. Aside from door control, Lobot allows some flexibility to add in more activationsn(Brutes/Grans etc.) or bring in things to help with Lancer/Yobuck (BGs/Keldor/R7 etc.)

Obviously, pawning Maul to get off six swings would be awesome, but I haven't quite figured out a way to make that happen without risking him. If you have an idea let me know.

So...what say you? Is this constructed well, given what it does, or is there room for improvement?

Thanks in advance for comments.

Post subject: Re: Calling all Sith experts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:36 am 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Pawn = only non-uniques

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:46 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Ruhk is right, its non-unique only.

Id suggest dropping the Chagrin. While it will be useful, if you manage to get off a crit, each attack is still unlikely to get one, so its probably not worth the points to use on it. Youd probably be better off with more Ugos/ Mice/ Grans/ Brutes/ Nobles.

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:52 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I think you could do better than maul. Without a plus to hit or a force battery like sidogram he isn't going to do much. Although swapping is nice I'd suggest malak dlots instead of sidious also which would free up some points and helps everyone out with the +4 atk. Jareal is going to hit more and zuckess is going to stick more dash rs also is good with malak. It completly changes your squad which I don't know if you want to do but I only suggest cause I tried smthn like your squad before and it had a lot of trouble hitting anything. Zuckess, jareal, and maul didn't do much for me cause they couldn't hit anything and they all ran out of force points fast.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:08 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I agree with Sthlrd. Sidious Sith Master is a really cool piece, but right now he just doesn't have enough good low-cost pieces to work with. Perhaps something will change with the V-set, but who knows? The thing that really makes him useful (moreso in the future than now) is that he can Pawn a non-unique piece which moves into your desired swap position, and then he swaps that piece out for your beatstick...that's 1 activation, and then the other activation is your beatstick's attack. That's just 2 activations for the move-swap-attack combo, which is quite a significant advantage, considering that every other swapper in the game (Thrawn, Panaka, K3P0) requires 3 activations to make it work. Moving, swapping and hitting, all in just 2 activations, is very, very powerful. It's just a matter of time (I hope) before this Sidious is a highly competitive piece.

But until then, Malak DLotS really is the best option that the Sith have.

I also agree with the above comments, that your main 3 attackers will have trouble hitting...+9/+10/+11 is usually just not going to be effective unless you're battling vs a swarm squad. But if you still want to run those pieces, then I can understand, since they're all fun to use.

For reinforcements, you might consider using a KelDor BH in place of the Chag Merc Comm. You can Pawn the Keldor to run it up, then swap it for Maul/Jarael. Now the Keldor is at 30hp, which means that if it's adjacent to an enemy piece or two when Sidious Zaps next round, those enemies will take 70dmg from the 40dmg SD and the 30dmg zap. Not bad at all for 13 pts! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:05 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

The "V-Set" ? Whats ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:33 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Something i was toying around with was Sideous, Malak, and either maul or Marris Brood. Malak is good enough to be a swap piece and his ce is needed for maul or maris to hit. Fill out the rest of the squad with lobot and swappers and your good. Another good piece to consider is the Ithorian scout 6 point piece with 20 hp good for pawning and swappping :).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:44 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Ruhk wrote:
Pawn = only non-uniques

Well, I feel embarassed. Should read my cards more carefully lol. That changes my initial strategy, but I have learned a great deal from what you guys have said about running up a swapper with pawn, then swapping in the beat.

As I said, I don't play Sith, but traded for these two (Sidious and Maul) because I thought they'd be fun and Sith are something new and I'd like to stick with them. I don't have access to many other Sith pieces (other than a Sith Lord), but I can see the potential there.

Since I don't have Malak, which would make including Dash a non-starter, and my attacks are low, would including Wicket, R-4, or treadwell help?

Are there better options other than Zuckuss and Jarael given I don't have Malak? I like Jarael's survivability as a swap option and Zuckuss' glue ability and for anticipation.

Thanks in advance, you have been helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:14 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I think that either Targetting, or Traps, or even both would serve your squad well. You have 2 pieces which can immobilize enemies (Jarael and Zuckuss), so it probably wouldn't be too difficult for your tech to do their job. Give it a shot and see which you prefer (Wicket or R4).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:24 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Given my limitations (No Malak) and the suggestions above, I have come up with the following:

--Sith Pawn Swap--
57 Darth Sidious, Sith Master
43 Darth Maul, Sith Apprentice
35 Zuckuss, Bounty Hunter
27 Lobot
23 Jarael
6 Mouse Droid x2
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

Preferred Reinforcements:
(Lobot) 11 Trandoshan Scavenger
(Lobot) 8 R4 Astromech Droid

(200pts. 12 activations)

I bring in an R4 for targetting to essentially improve my attack scores by 4. I am going to try him over Wicket, because even if he dies whoever I targetted still is defense -4 whereas I lose that if Wicket goes down. As has been mentioned above, if Zuck or Jarael can immobilize some folks, then I can use targetting to help Maul hit.

I also bring in a Trandoshan Scavenger. He has 40 HPs, is non-unique, has decent damage, and had regeneration. If I am understanding correctly, I can pawn this guy (not his turn) run up, do the swap, and then use regenerate on his own turn later. Essentially I mitigate the 10 damage I take from Pawn.

Is this an improvement?

Instead of the Trando, I could also bring in a Tusken Scout, Jawa Scout, or more Brutes/Grans, but thought the Trando would be fun if I am interpreting the rules correctly.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:32 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As long as you don't move on the trandos turn you will regenerate thus nigating the pawn damage. Between r4 and wicket valad point. But also consider that wicket could bring down the def of multiple opponents as r4 can only do 1 at a time. Have to play around with that see what you like more. Even try both with another brute/ugh/mouse or consider the amanin scout with his wall climber and moving 18 and pawning him who also has 40 hit points you should be able to get just about anywhere you want for a swap. However that would mean losing r4 or wicket unless you found a way to squeeze one of them into the base squad. Just another option to try out.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:09 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Yes, good suggestion with the Amanin. However, one thing that really hinders swap squads that don't have Mas Amedda is the fact that you need to place your Mice well or keep your swaps within short range. Therefore, unless you can set up your Mice just right, the Amanin might not be as helpful as you might think. With rangeless swapping, the Amanin is always a good piece, perhaps only outdone by Yobuck. :) But with range-6 swapping, the Amanin's usefulness usually drops quite a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:41 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

thereisnotry wrote:
Yes, good suggestion with the Amanin. However, one thing that really hinders swap squads that don't have Mas Amedda is the fact that you need to place your Mice well or keep your swaps within short range. Therefore, unless you can set up your Mice just right, the Amanin might not be as helpful as you might think. With rangeless swapping, the Amanin is always a good piece, perhaps only outdone by Yobuck. :) But with range-6 swapping, the Amanin's usefulness usually drops quite a bit.

That's the thing. I have countless experience with limitless range swap, this is going to stretch me a bit in terms of learning how to play it. I think this is why I like it, something new.

Now as I see it, here is how I would approach a game, and please tell me if my thinking is off: Sidious, Maul, and Trando will be very close most of the time, moving together to set up the short range swap. One mouse will follow Jarael and another will follow a Brute that I will replace an uggy in the main squad for longer range swaps. So three swap options with Maul as the closer at various ranges to keep the opponent off balance. Zuckuss and Jarael are key in terms of setting things up by immobilizing targets so that they can be targetted and attacked.

The thing that will be challenging is keeping the swapper (Trando) and Swappee (Maul) within range of Sidious, which obviously puts him in harms way. Also, the oppenent will make it a priority to take out the mice as soon as possible to force me to go small and predictable. Not that I didn't know this before, but Its obvious why we are not seeing this type of squad at the upper levels...too many holes. There is just enough there however, just to keep you excited but you soon run into barrier and bring down some of the excitment.