logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Post subject: Re: Fun Format: Royal Rumble.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:02 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

As for the healing in TINT's use of tht rules, I wouldnt see why it would count towards anything. If Durge regenerates 20hp before he is killed, than thats 20 more points for someone to score by doing dmg to him before he dies.

@TINT: If you were going by this, including my speculation for healing/regen/etc, how did you overages in the dmg dealt on the killing blow? If I deal 30, but hes only got 20hp left, how many points do I get?

As for the keeping track of points vs last man standing, I had intended on just saying 'last man standing' for when we run it locally, but I think your right. the best thing would be to hide and let your opponents just finish each other off.

Have you guys, sthlrd2 and co, ever had an instance where the last man standing points DIDNT make them the automatic winner? I like the idea and understand its usefulness, but if you are going by kill points, Id hate for last man standing to get the such a potentially huge bonus and make them the auto winner of the game every time, if they werent deserving of it.

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:35 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Disturbed1 wrote:
As for the healing in TINT's use of tht rules, I wouldnt see why it would count towards anything. If Durge regenerates 20hp before he is killed, than thats 20 more points for someone to score by doing dmg to him before he dies.

@TINT: If you were going by this, including my speculation for healing/regen/etc, how did you overages in the dmg dealt on the killing blow? If I deal 30, but hes only got 20hp left, how many points do I get?

Yep, according to our method, Regeneration would give your opponent more chances to score points...but it also gives Durge a chance for another triple attack, which is quite worth it.

And yes, a 30dmg hit to finish off the last 20hp of an enemy fig would only score 20pts.

I hear what Tim and others are saying about their dislike of our method of scoring, but I think we need to realize that it goes both ways, and really just comes down to preference.

Scoring by Damage:
Pros: You gain points according to what you do. If you do damage, you gain points; it's very accurate and fair.
Cons: It's more of a slug-fest and less of a chess match.

Scoring by Character Points:
Pros: It requires more strategy (or more luck?)
Cons: If you do 80% of the damage to a fig, it's very possible that you won't gain credit for what you've done.

With both methods, it is absolutely important to play wisely in order to preserve the life of your pieces as long as possible. The two methods encourage slightly different play styles, but I do think both can work just fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:08 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

is there a down side to doing 4 players instead of 3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:27 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We've had matches were the last man standing ends up winning because of the bonus points we have also had matches were last man standing was still down on points and thus the double winner. We have had matches where it is neck and neck in points and the one to get last man standing will win then. I've had a match end where I end up getting last man standing even though my army was defeated. Cay was my last guy left against his ig88 and half hit point grievous. Grievous roles a 1 and misses cay to finish him off cay atk back hits 1 time ig then finishes me off and fails his cay's legacy. I get ig and kill grievous gets the points and l
get the 43 for last man standing with ig88. I still ended up losing by 4 points but a fun exciting match either way.

I enjoy it with 4 players as well. There is no down side to either way. It's just that when we have 3 people and instead of figuring out what we can do. We have a format for it but no, no downside to playing with 4.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:18 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Jake, had a good time playing at the Regionals with you, Phillip, and Randy. I have told many people about the format and it is a lot of fun...especially for 3 people as that number of players has traditionally been hard to accomodate successfully. We played at Gamer DMZ the other night with 3 and I won a squeaker 303-301 (over DarthDracul) just as I won the close game with you at the regional. Didn't know I'd won until I killed Boba BH with the Exile and added her 49 points and the 41 points for my Aurra Sing, JH. The other player was a first timer and friend and he killed over 200 points as well and was not out until about 7 or 8 minutes were left in the game. Kudos on the interesting format

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:23 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thank you. I'm glad people like it. As much as I would like to take full credit for this format, I cannot. I ran it by Tim and deri. And the 3 of us worked out the kinks and got it to where it is today. Tim and deri helped a lot with the scoring issues and I am a loyal player and more or less the public relations of this format. I get it out there and see what people think and suggest tips. As I am one of the people who started this format I can not take full credit but am thrilled that people enjoy it and I hope you will continue playing it.

Oh what where some of the squads that people used. I love this format because there are so many interesting squad ideas for it.

Last edited by sthlrd2 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:57 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Some I can remember:

Exile and Aurra Sing JH (Double twin for Aurra)
GOWK and Mara Jade Jedi (Hard to hit and target)
Obi-Wan Jedi General and Captain Rex (GM Triple Twin)
Ganner and Lord Vader (levitate and assault)
Boba BH and Cay
New Saesee Tinn and Cad Bane
Naga Sadow and Han Solo RH (Advantageous for Naga)
and my first squad which was not good... Landspeeder and Yoda on Kybuck.

Was going to use but did not: Sion and Ghost Yoda and Darth Bane and Jar Jar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:27 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Interesting. I like the naga with Han rh and the Sion one might be fun to try. I to have wanted to play bane in this but I feel he's to situational. He might work better as a second or third squad. Yobuck with landspeeder is interesting as well. You said it didn't work well but I wonder how much of that has to do with you running it first. Now I havnt tried yobuck with the landspeeder but in my experiance with yobuck in this format, he seems to work better as a second or third option rather than a guy to start with. But still no one has run my ever favorite 3rd squad of caedus and palps on throne. I loved that one and it quite a few weird looks when I brought it out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:53 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Missed this the first time around, probably because it was when my kids where here.

Finally got to play this with the Kokomo crew this weekend, even though you showed it to me way back at the MOTF release I think.

Anyways, I found a couple of inconsistencies that needed to be addressed.

--Scoring points for your killing your own piece is counterintuitive to the standard multiplayer rule, which is generally a bad idea. Opponents should split it. There would also be ways to abuse the fact that I would get points for myself.

--Uniques vs Dark Force Spirit vs Impulsive: Basically if you want one to work it has an effect on the other two. My understanding is that the skirmish is all 3 duos. Thus, as you have mentioned during games, Dark Force Spirit would continue to affect figures not in play when it was activated. I actually like this, and it is consistent with the rules and the game you set. However, it needs to be noted that Impulsive abilites and Unleash the Force also would work if they were brought in on a later round. I also like this. However, the precedent we set with these two rules, then totally screws up the allowance of the same player using two different versions of the same character. Obviously this is something that can be ignored pretty easily, but it is something that needs to be stated so that every player in a given venue is on the same page. Actually regular Force Spirit fits in here too....

--Also, when determining mulitplayer initiative, it should be noted that ALL ties must be rerolled and that initiative is not determined until all ties are resolved. IOW, Player A rolls a 19 while B and C roll a 2. B and C reroll, B gets a 5 and C gets a 20. Player C has won initiative.

--IT also seems your first recommendation for initiative is the best...winner picks and play proceeds left of that point. We tried the other way and the dice continued to fall in favor of the player with the significant lead. He may not have always won, but was seated in an advantageous position he would not have had in the other option.

--Lastly, not that many pieces have it where it fits with another player, but how does Master Tactician affect initiative? Play it as is? Or there was a WOTC Scenario Card that mentioned adding 10 to the roll? Something to consider....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:41 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I must have missed this question before. Master tactictian works the same. I disagree with initiave being settled after ties are setteled. The 19 would win. I never considered the impulsive abilites but yes I agree with but for playability it must be changed as you later showed

Last edited by sthlrd2 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:24 am 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

cool format

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:14 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bump bump bump

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:10 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Thanks for bumping this. :)

I would love to see these rules (and alternates) compiled into one document.

My to-do list is rather long, but maybe I could get to it eventually.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:15 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The plan is to do a Royal Rumble tournament at GenCon next year.

Perhaps even part of the Sith Trials???

So - rule clarifications:

We have decided to simplify a few things:

1. Lasting effects. Any effect that lasts the rest of the skirmish (Dark Force Spirit, Impulsive (blank), etc.) only effects the characters currently on the board. Teams brought in later are not effected.

2. Tied init rolls. Only re-roll ties if the WINNING roll is tied. (Sorry Brad, it's just the way it's gonna be)

3. All Tactician abilities are played as normal.

4. Only count kills. Even if you do 90% of the damage on a character, and someone else comes in to finish them off, THEY get the points for the kill. I like Trevors suggestion, but the record keeping just gets too complicated. Poaching kills is just a part of this format. Deal with it and plan for it.

5. Killing your own character. Points are split evenly (rounded down) among all other players.

6. Initiative. Winner picks who goes first. If winning roll is odd, play proceeds counter-clockwise. If winning roll is even, play proceeds clockwise.

I think I hit everything. Jake - was there anything else?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:05 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Looks great Tim. Any idea of a time limit/game as standard and especially at GenCon. My only issue is I have found people lose focus and I must always remind them to go which gets annoying. It should not be hard to play at a steady pace with only 2 minis/person on the board at once and activating only one at a time, but it seems it is at least with our group (hope it is only our group). It would be great if we could call a judge for slow pace of play if it gets to be too much. The difference with slow play here I have found is people just not paying attention and not so much trying to stall since there is no time limit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:14 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

WacoBlaze wrote:
Looks great Tim. Any idea of a time limit/game as standard and especially at GenCon. My only issue is I have found people lose focus and I must always remind them to go which gets annoying. It should not be hard to play at a steady pace with only 2 minis/person on the board at once and activating only one at a time, but it seems it is at least with our group (hope it is only our group). It would be great if we could call a judge for slow pace of play if it gets to be too much. The difference with slow play here I have found is people just not paying attention and not so much trying to stall since there is no time limit.

We'll have to playtest to see, but it does take longer than other formats. I was thinking of having a 2 round tournament (Ascension style for those of you who play), with a 2 hour time limit each round. You have as many 3 and 4 player matches as you have players. Then after they all finish, you take the 4 best scores, regardless of what game they were in. Those 4 play off for 1st - 4th place.

So it would be a 4 hour tournament still, but slightly different in how it worked.

Playtest with 4 players and see how long it takes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:41 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Starting areas:

Are squads set up inside the doors, outside or either way?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:52 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

swinefeld wrote:
Starting areas:

Are squads set up inside the doors, outside or either way?

Inside the arena. All doors are treated as walls. All action takes place in the arena. You must start adjacent to your door each time

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:56 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Cage match :P thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:10 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

tim i think you hit on everything, the only thing is the odd, even initiative roll. most of the time we do play that way but for tourneys we might just want to stick with simple and just have it go one way. and of course most people don't have a cool clock/counterclockwise counter like you do.

and i suppose i should mention this just in case. you start your squad inside adjacent to your starting door, except when running potty palps. which as far as i know im the only one who has and i have only done that twice. in the case of running potty palps (if anyone wants to try my crazy stratagys) then you can place him anywhere on your quarter of the map. its not a big difference but still different none the less and so if it ever comes up. that is how i hve played it the 2x that i have played it before.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next