21 Yuuzhan Vong Shaper
60 Yuuzhan Vong Jedi Hunter x3
19 Yomin Carr
13 Gamorrean Bodyguard
8 R7 Astromech Droid
6 Mouse Droid x2
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

(199pts. 13 activations)

This one seems fun with all of the bonuses to attack and damage, but it lacks range support. Since I am a novice at Vong squads, I'm not even sure I need a ranged threat in a squad of this type. I'd have to sacrifice a Vong JH and some filler to fit one in, but would the Warmaster and two JHs be enough? I had a version where I tried to fit in Nom Anor to Ooglith the Shaper but it seemed a waste to spend that many points on a one shot 20 damage shooter. Then I thought of using a Czerka with Nom, but there is just not a whole lot of room with the Warmaster in there.

Should I just stand put without a ranged threat?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by wampafang on Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 2 Vong Squads for Critique
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:05 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

To my mind, your "Vong war Party" has not enough threats (3 YVJH).

I suggest you this version who won several tourneys (in Paris - France) :
- Warmaster Tsavong Lah 63pts
- Yuuzhan Vong Jedi Hunter 20pts x6 = 120pts = 183pts
- Yuuzhan Vong Officier 11pts = 194pts
- UD 3 pts x2 = 6 pts

During your run, you will lose 1 or 2 YVJH max, but after you have at least 4 threats who have twin + cunning + momemtum !!
Moreover this team set up a lot of difficulties against jedi's team (New rep).

The choice of the map is important.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:46 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Well I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't have that many Vong JHs so going with six would be problematic. Also, I would be uncomfortable in my meta with only two uggies for door control. Anyone with override, and these days people are brining multiple figs with override, could take out my uggs with Accurate shot and then lock me down in a room and/or separate my forces. Lastly, I don't figure the Advance Agent would last too long in my meta either and would get picked off. I'm not saying your squad isn't good, but it just wouldn't work where I play without more door control and activations.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:36 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Based on your original, id say drop your yomin in favor of another yvjh.

The rest of it works well enough, and having played squads like that several times, I don't know that you can change much else for significant gain other than severly altering the squad.

Only other suggestion is to drop r7 and an ugo for another bodyguard for the shaper, though its a personal choice.

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:07 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I like the priest better than the shaper and that way you can fit in another ugh or mouse for more activations. IMO I think yomin is fine in there. Another good idea for vong is leaving the warmaster out and using nom anor with cad bane and some Jedi hunters. You have awsome ranged support and some melée back up with the jh. I would use the priest as well in this squad but not totally necessary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:31 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Quote:
The rest of it works well enough, and having played squads like that several times, I don't know that you can change much else for significant gain other than severly altering the squad.

When you have played Warmaster squads similar to this, is the lack of ranged support a big handicap?

Quote:
I like the priest better than the shaper and that way you can fit in another ugh or mouse for more activations. IMO I think yomin is fine in there. Another good idea for vong is leaving the warmaster out and using nom anor with cad bane and some Jedi hunters. You have awsome ranged support and some melée back up with the jh. I would use the priest as well in this squad but not totally necessary

I thought about the priest/uggy/mouse thing, but thought the shaper gives me more survivability with the BG and a 20 damage base regardless of situation. With the Priest, I'd have to be injured first...IDK, I'll have to ponder this more.

The second squad is more in line to what you are suggesting without the Warmaster only Dash RS is my best Fringe shooter and he is a far cry from Bane, especially in a relatively low activation squad such as this as he'd be attacking with a +6 most of the time and a max of +10 which still could not hit anything. Zuckuss and NOm are my best ranged support for the Vong I have unfortunately.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:59 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well then the non warmaster squad won't work for ya. I said cad cause he has stealth and thus would get super stealth from nom making him that much better but that's a moot point if you don't have him. When considering shaper or priest, you must consider that although it is situational it will also help you hit more consistently espicially against non force users. But you are also running vong jh who are melée, they are almost guaranted to take damage on the pursuit in so that would solve that dillema. True the dsmsge is not doubled on crits like the shaper but in my experiance you can't depend on a crit. Knowing that your going to take damage and knowing that you are getting stronger instead of weaker is comforting and that mixed with an extra activation and a plus to hit is my opinion on why I like the priest better than the shaper.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:22 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Quote:
Well then the non warmaster squad won't work for ya. I said cad cause he has stealth and thus would get super stealth from nom making him that much better but that's a moot point if you don't have him. When considering shaper or priest, you must consider that although it is situational it will also help you hit more consistently espicially against non force users. But you are also running vong jh who are melée, they are almost guaranted to take damage on the pursuit in so that would solve that dillema. True the dsmsge is not doubled on crits like the shaper but in my experiance you can't depend on a crit. Knowing that your going to take damage and knowing that you are getting stronger instead of weaker is comforting and that mixed with an extra activation and a plus to hit is my opinion on why I like the priest better than the shaper.

Valid points on the Priest, I think I will give it a whirl. I did a rework of the Warmaster Squad with a priest, but I put in Lobot CL when the Warmaster is based at the start of the round. The only thing is I lose an activation rather than gaining one based on your suggestion above.

--Vong War Party--
63 Warmaster Tsavong Lah
60 Yuuzhan Vong Jedi Hunter x3
19 Yomin Carr
18 Praetorite Vong Priest
15 Lobot, Computer Liaison Officer
13 Gamorrean Bodyguard
6 Mouse Droid x2
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

(200pts. 12 activations)

Is it worth putting Lobot in so the Warmaster can triple, or am I better off doing what you suggested above?

Post subject: Re: Vong Squad for Critique
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:42 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

I had forgotten about the Priest, and considering mroe squads are non-melee-centric than melee-centric, yes, your probably better off going with the Priest, as you could get a good number of your guys injured before basing.

To answer your question about the no-ranged support being an issue, yes, it is always an issue. It gives characters with Double time to just sit back and take pot shots. However, as is the case, at least at our venue, more people play the GMA type shooters (Cad, Dash, Rex), opposed to shooters who shoot one time for lots of dmg(which can be an issue). Cad is obviously the most propular of the three, who gets hosed by anyone with Crab Armor 6. How you advance just depends on what you are facing. No Cad Bane? Warmaster out front. 24 Def in cover with 200hp worth of crab armor 6 is a heck of a meat shield. Besides, once your in their face, the jedi hunters are going to do the majority of the work.

Facing Cad Bane? Stick the Jedi hunters out front. He needs, I think, a 12 to hit them, which means on average, he will do about 30 points of dmg/turn after the armor. Since you have multiples, you just make sure the one that is injured isnt the front runner the next round.

Once your in their face, you can take stuff down pretty quickly.

Keep the Warmaster from getting slaughtered (even non-Djem So jedi will take a while to down him one on one), advance quickly, but stay in cover, and dont forget about Thud Bug. Nothing sweeter than activating Cad Bane before he can shoot you, etc.

Go out and conqer! :p

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

Post subject: Re: Vong Squad for Critique
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:44 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

That is some great advice/strategy, thanks!