logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Something with Shado...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:07 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Copied from the 150 points, cos I'm a fool and put it there by mistake...

So, trying new ways of using Shado...

--ShadoAdvantageous--
48 Shado Vao
35 Han Solo, Rebel Hero
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
25 Jaina Solo
25 Leia Skywalker, Jedi Knight
10 Jagged Fel
9 General Dodonna
8 R7 Astromech Droid
6 Mouse Droid x2
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

(200pts. 12 activations)

Han gives Shado extra punch, as well as beefing up Jaina's swing. Dash is now firing for 80 a turn regardless, with Jagged giving him that little boost. Leia allows Shado and Jaina to get closer faster with Deflect rerolls, and keeps Dash about longer. Han can snipe any other pieces that he needs to.

Any comments?

Post subject: Re: Something with Shado...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:21 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Suggest using Ganner instead of Leia, to give Shado even greater deep strike range. You'd need to find 4 more points... if you're mostly focused on cunning + advantageous attackers, maybe you can drop Dodonna? Add a Caamasi (it gets Advantageous too) with the remaining 5 points.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:03 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I see you got two ways you can go

Leia or Ganner

If you go leia you can do Han GH,Shado,Dash that could be really annoying or
Ganner then do han RH but use mara,Shado filler.
Right now I just think your trying to do too much. I think the ganner idea would be trying to do too much but thats another story. I think Han RH has to be used with Mara if you bring him in.

Edit I wasnt trying to change your squad I was just giving you other ideas to think about.

Last edited by jonnyb815 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:45 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

jonnyb815 wrote:
I see you got two ways you can go

Leia or Ganner

If you go leia you can do Han GH,Shado,Dash that could be really annoying or
Ganner then do han RH but use mara,Shado filler.
Right now I just think your trying to do too much. I think the ganner idea would be trying to do too much but thats another story. I think Han RH has to be used with Mara if you bring him in.

Yeah, Han works incredibly well with Mara (and Jaina). And when Dash has Gregarious from Jagged, he can still be decently effective as well.

45 Mara (40dmg hits on an assault)
35 Han
29 Ganner (30dmg hits on a sweep)
28 Dash RS (can shoot with decent effect on an unactivated piece)
25 Jaina (40dmg double cunning)
10 Jagged
09 Dodonna
08 R7
06 Ug x2
03 Mouse (helps to spread Han's CE)

198pts, 11 activations

This squad would be fun to play. You don't have the customization of Lobot, nor the Disruptive of Old Man Han, but you do have more damage punch when you win init, and you also have more attackers. And the squad has 600hp, which is a whole lot for your opponent to burn through.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:40 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

With TINT's squad, I'd actually remove Dodonna for another R7 and Mouse Droid. When the majority of your squad is focused on Cunning you really don't need that much tempo control. While it is nice to have it, I think you'd benefit more from Double Override and another Mouse for Han's CE.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:18 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Yes, good point. The only problem is that playing without Tempo Control, and also without a method of easily reducing the opponent's activations (Yobuck, Lancer, Barrage), it becomes very, very difficult to compete. I think the Regional results bear that out: unless I've missed one, every Regional winner had either Yobuck, Lancer, Barrage (ie, activation killers), and/or Tempo control. That's just the state of the meta right now. If I'm wrong, please somebody show me, because it would be very welcome news. I'm not saying it's impossible to win without Dodonna, but I just have yet to see it done without the aforementioned fodder killers. Dodonna's not a crutch; he's just a necessity in top-tier NR squads. :P

So against some squads (ie, non top-tier), I have no doubt that you're right about the suggestion; but against others (ie, top tier), losing Dodonna would be painful.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:00 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Thanks for the comments guys.

I'm trying to avoid Ganner as the two guys I play most have both been dropping him about, so three of him is a bit ridonkulous. That said, the Mara idea is neat, but I was trying to build around Shado...

I have never played in, and doubt I will ever, a competitive tourney, largely due to the fact that I live in the backend of nowhere in the UK and it's hard enough to find gamers, let alone a tourney. If I were to do so, I think that I'd leave Shado, as he's just not top tier enough, but against other competitive but fun squads he works as an annoyance...

Jaina and Han have always done me proud, the extra cunning blow/advantageous has helped me on mulitple occasions...Shado and Leia are, in my head, stuck together, as he becomes the most annoying fig ever with rerolls...Dash is there only because he's a borderline power shooter and you always need something like that...

Saying that all, I think I will try this...even if it leaves my Shado at home :(

45 Mara (40dmg hits on an assault)
35 Han
29 Ganner (30dmg hits on a sweep)
28 Dash RS (can shoot with decent effect on an unactivated piece)
25 Jaina (40dmg double cunning)
10 Jagged
09 Dodonna
08 R7
06 Ug x2
03 Mouse (helps to spread Han's CE)

198pts, 11 activations

Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:17 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I'm glad you like my squad. :)

But if, as you said, you're not going to be playing in a competitive tournament, then I would suggest going with Jedispyder's suggestion of dropping Dodonna for an R7 and a Mouse. That version really is the better squad, if you don't have to worry about keeping up with the top-tier squads which almost inevitably seem to somehow use high activations or activation-killing as a key component of their strategy. A second mouse will really be helpful, and everyone knows the power of double-override. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:54 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I will disagree that shado is not top teir. I played Mara and shado with ganner at Chicago regional and finished all of my games. I took a fourth. All day people were telling me I should have taken Han gh or Kyle bm instead of shado and all day I was beating them all for 3 point victories. I chose shado because he has just as much damage potential if not more than Han because he doesn't care if someone activated or not to use presicion Han does for cunning and shado has more hit points and much better survivability than Han and because of his cheaper cost I was able to fit in an extra activation. I don't think I lost shado all day. True that han and Kyle are awsome and can be brutal. But Shado was my choice and I did really well with him. So I guess it's a personal choice but I don't think it's right to say he isn't meta.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:27 am 
Mandalore
Mandalore

sthlrd2 wrote:
So I guess it's a personal choice but I don't think it's right to say he isn't meta.

My name is Seth Gipson, and I approve this message.

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:29 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully

sthlrd2 wrote:
I don't think I lost shado all day. True that han and Kyle are awsome and can be brutal. But Shado was my choice and I did really well with him. So I guess it's a personal choice but I don't think it's right to say he isn't meta.

I killed him. But that's what you expect. I was running Imps where your lack of disruptive puts you at a disadvantage compared to the other NR builds. But in terms of mirrors and against other matchups (Rebels), your's is better suited for it. So it's a toss up. You made the top 4 by loosing once to me (expected in terms of matchup) and beating everyone else.

I agree, Shado is a very good piece and often overlooked. You finishing 4th in Chicago with that field is the same as about 1/2 the regional winners in my opinion.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:34 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanx bill. That means alot coming from player such as yourself. I've felt a difference in the way I play and have seen the results improve dramaticly. It all started over at marmalade dog in Kalamazoo. I told my wife and Tim that it's a real drag that I won't be able to attend gen con this year when I'm finally starting to come into my own in this game and feel as if I can do well there but alas work has been way to slow so 1 either I have no money, or 2 if work does pick back up then I have to choose work over gen con because I havnt been working. Either way gen con will have to wait and that sux. Anyways thanx again for the compliment.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:14 pm 

Well if it's money (and not that you need to work), I'm pretty sure I can get you in our hotel for nothing. Let me know how it goes with work and we might even be able to swing a badge for you.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:42 pm 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wow, thanx again bill, I'll see what goes on and I'll get back to you for sure.