logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: NJ Regional Results
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:32 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

NJ Regional

Preliminary Reports from the regional that I got from Darth Jim indicate that the regional was won by Leftieswillrule with 2nd place being Kris McNaney, Jim's son. It is also worth mentioning that Jim himself was in the top 4 also. I do not know who the other finalist was.

From what I have gathered

Lefties was playing Skybuck
Kris was playing Boba-Cannon
and Jim was playing Scourge/Arica swap.

I am sure that they will all add everything as it goes along, but I thought people might be interested in the results.

Worth noting Evman finished 5.

Post subject: Re: NJ Regional Results
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:42 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I also finished fifth, and unfortunately, saw no Lancers at the Regionals, and my GMLS was very sad! lol. I went 2-2, with one total victory, so I was very pleasantly surprised with my performance. Here's the squad I ran:

---Blunt Force Trauma---
115 Grand Master Luke Skywalker
29 Ganner Rhysode
26 Kyp Durron
9 General Dodonna
8 R7 Astromech Droid
12 Ugnaught Demolitionist x4
(9 activations, 199 points)

Never got to Djem So a single person, as I faced mainly shooty shooty squads, but oh well, lol.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:05 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

LeftiesWillRule's brother Aaron, finished 4rth. You might say it was a family fued for in the finals. Well, if you DID say that, then Steve and Aaron's family won the fued, going 3-0 against the McNaneys. For me though, that wasn't the story of the tournament. First, here's my squad:

JimHatesOzzel

Scourge 55
Arica 31
Potty Palps 33
Admiral Ozzel 11
Thrawn 32
Mas Amedda 8
Lobot 27
Ugnaught 3

Reinforcements were Amanin Scout, Gran, Rodian if I had an activation advantage, otherwise I at least matched activations.

The reason I played Potty Palps was because of the shortened timeframe...I wanted to be in gambit and force my opponents to have to come to me. Since I learned of this before the tournament, I did share that via email and pms to anyone I thought was coming or at least thinking about it so that we'd all have access to the same information. Using Potty Palps took away an attack piece, but really opened the possibilities for not only Arica and Scourge but also the rest of the squad. Reluctantly I used Ozzel...I hate trying to run a swap squad with him, but in playtesting I just could not get results, and I was committed to Potty Palps being in there.

In swiss I went 3-1 and scored 8 points with 2 3pt wins. That got me the second seed in the playoff. Unfortunately Kris got #3 and we had to play each other, while Steve played his brother Aaron. I scored gambit in every round of every game I played.

Kris and I both started fast, with him moving Juno into gambit round 1 and me moving Arica up to kill Juno at the beginning of round 2. He sniped at her with Boba and yes, round 2 scored a disintegration on her. Down 36-18 after 2 rounds, I really had to work hard with only 1 power piece to catch up, but by round 4 it was 39-39. I moved ahead by 13 at the end of 5, then in the final round he killed Ozzel with a bothan-assisted Boba attack to draw within 2. But because he was out of position, I was able to go after an ERC with Vader and stretched the lead to 18. He had 1 activation left...Boba. He could not reach Vader, Thrawn was safe...he could only get to a pristine Potty Palps. With a crowd now at the table, he announced "I need a 20 to win." He got it, and I lost a game that I thought I had in the bag.

In retrospect, I think I'd MUCH rather lose a game like that than do something stupid and make a mistake myself. We've had a lot of laughs talking about that game already...I was proud of the way I came back even with the 11 pt mini from hell. We all had a great time there and I want to congratulate LeftiesWillRule for winning the regional and going undefeated. And I'd like to congratulate Joe for running a great tournament despite the time constraints. Unfortunately we only had 11, and a badge was not given out. The guys from Philly wanted to come, but had transportation issues and we sorely missed them. It was a pleasure meeting all of you yesterday and I know the central Pa guys had a great time. Spryguy...thanks for taking the initiative and posting...I was too played out after I got home to do anything but watch in dismay as my Flyers got crushed by the Blackhawks in game 5 of the Stanley Cup. Kris, of course, was rooting for the Blackhawks. He is SO grounded. :fight2:

Being organized is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Lasers make everything better... except Alderaan.

Last edited by Darth_Jim on Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:29 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

How much time was there for the rounds if you were hurting for time?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:37 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

45-minute rounds.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:58 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

O thats not that bad. We did 50 mins in Michigan in March. I finished all my games. I was playing Arica Bane swap went 2-2 with it. But I could of gone 3-1 with it I was dead in that last game. I lost to Jason with my Jonny mistake.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:06 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

I had no idea how strict the store would be on Joe, and could see things easily slipping to 35, 30 minutes. The store turned out to be great about it, so it wasn't too bad. In retrospect Jonny, I could have gone with a more mainstream build, but I wasn't taking any chances beforehand. The squad worked pretty well despite the constrictions of Ozzel. Oh, one more thing. As if to drive the stake deeper into my heart on the way home, Kris said that he had 3 disintegrations all day...2 against me in our playoff game. Yay. Guess I won't be playing the lottery anytime soon with that luck...I'd just be wasting my money.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:09 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

with only 11 you might of been able to do 3 rounds then playoffs. Good job Lefties and Jim.
Jim so no vong at 100 this year ok????? what version was lefties playing bills with lobot?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:22 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I think that 4 rounds was better for those of us who had no aspirations of making the Playoffs - we ended up getting more bang for our buck, which I am especially thankful for because it's probably the last time I'll get to play minis for the next couple months. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:28 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Justin, I know the drive is grueling for you but if you get to jonesin', you are ALWAYS welcome up here, either at the store or my house. It was good to see you again, and I'm sorry for all of the ammo I gave your fiance against you lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:37 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Anyone know the rest of the squad builds? I'm very interested to see what all showed up at NJ. Congrats to Jim and his son for making the final four!!

Sincerely,
Jester007

Punting jawas may be bad, but its just so FUN!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:33 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Ok guys...sorry for the delay in getting the official results posted. I was slammed with work stuff and home repairs Sunday into Monday. I'll have the full breakdown in a separate thread shortly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:55 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

jonnyb815 wrote:
with only 11 you might of been able to do 3 rounds then playoffs. Good job Lefties and Jim.
Jim so no vong at 100 this year ok????? what version was lefties playing bills with lobot?

My squad was:
Yoda on Kybuck
General Skywalker
Captain Rex
Captain Panaka
R2-D2, AD
Mas Amedda
R7 Astromech
Rodian Brute x6
Ugnaught Demolitionist

Map choice was Rancor Pit. I have to credit Jonny for giving me the idea via a rather lopsided Vassal game.

My third game was against EVman's rebel squad:
Dengar, Hired Killer
Ferus Olin
Luke Skywalker, Rebel Commando
Han Solo, Smuggler
Princess Leia
General Rieekan x2
Anakin FS
General Dodonna
Juno Eclipse
R7 Astromech x2
Mouse Droid
Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

We played on Bespin, and both of us approached cautiously. I ended my round with Rex just out of sight inside the north door from the landing pad. My opponent levitated Ferus, then ran him next to Rex, and the round ended. He figured even if I went first, I would be unable to kill Ferus, then he could use Dark Temptation to kill Rex, then either levitate Ferus to safety or shoot him with Han depending on how his DT save went. I won initiative and Rex critted on his first attack, then succeeded on his other three attacks. That sealed the game, and we ran out of time shortly after. If not for that lucky crit, I probably would have lost that game.

My brother Aaron ran this squad:

Darth Vader, Sith Apprentice
Captain Rex, 501st Commander
Thrawn
Imperial Governor Tarkin
501st Legion Clone Trooper Commander
Mas Amedda
Stormtrooper x3
Rodian Brute x7

Incidently, the score of his first game was exactly 66 pts :) I was surprised at how well he did with no door control. We ended up going head to head twice in a row; we were matched up in the fourth swiss round, and then in the semifinals.