logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Clone Cadet 'Lucky', Separatist Infiltrator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:18 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Ok folks it just hit me... HERE is the TRUE Clone Cadet 'Lucky', Separatist Infiltrator

Separatist
Cost ??

60 HP
18 Def
12 Att
10 Dmg

Unique---(Counts as Boba Fett)
Double Attack
Accurate Shot
Bounty Hunter +4
Intuition
Stealth
Death Trap
(Replaces turn: 80 damage to 1 enemy within 12 squares regardless of line sight; save 11)
Clone Cadet Imposter
(Clone Cadet 'Lucky' is not considered a legal target for enemies in the Republic faction until he has made an attack or used abilities that replaces turn or attacks during a skirmish. This character does not provoke attacks of opportunity against enemies in the Republic faction; this is negated with a save of 11.)

'Clone Cadet Imposter' - Why a new SA that works solely against one faction? Well for starters it fits the character based off the CW season 2 finale episode. Second, its not the first SA to work against one particular faction; i.e. Sith Hunter, Mandalorian Hunter and perhaps some others that dont come to mind at the moment.

'Death Trap' - named after part 1 of the 3 part season 2 finale :lol: - Is basically Kouhoun infestation with 20 more damage. Why the 20 extra damage?
(A) 80 is the most damage any non-force using character in the 10 or 20 dmg base stat category can potentially deal; not counting CE's or crits or abilities that increase the chance of crits.
(B) Not as convincing an argument as (A) but none the less I feel the need to mention that it would cut all versions of Mace Windu's HP by nearly half; you shouldn't need to be told what the significance of Windu is here ;)

Soooo ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I believe this is a fair representation of this character within the SW minis parameters. The only question left is what he should cost... I figure something like 31. Thoughts? Another question; does the 'Clone Cadet Imposter' S.A. definition allow it to work against Fringe or Republic Affinity characters who are in a Republic squad as it's written right now? Appreciate the input :)

Last edited by HanSolo79 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:08 am, edited 20 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Clone Cadet 'Lucky', Separatist Assassin
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:01 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

I'm not sure it totally fits with what I saw in that episode. For one, he only has 10 damage, when the most basic clone trooper has 20 (he only ever used another clone's weapon).

Grenades I understand, as it's about the best you can do to approximate the trap in Windu's quarters without coming up with a new special ability.

Clone Cadet Imposter (as I am sure you did not intend for him to slouch ;) ) needs some cleaning up. Since he is a separatist piece he will never have a Republic character allied with him. Second, since he has stealth, he would rarely ever be a legal target for any republic shooter. Any melee piece would then likely not have another legal target.

One viable option would be to allow him to set up in the Republic Set up area, it seems really limiting as it only affects one faction either way. I suppose you could stretch it to include the Imperial Faction as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:26 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Hahaha yah the spell check would keep red-lining me for the spelling of Imposter (like it's doing at this very moment, stupid macbook) so I'll take your word for it... Thats what I get for erring on the side of a machine :D

As for cleaning up the ability, good catch on the 'allied' wording. Thats a change that needs to be made, and will. I was trying to cover any fringe, or otherwise, allied characters that might loop-hole the ability. In retrospect any fringe, or character with affinity to a Republic build, would still fall under the Republic faction.

Stealth can be over-come by characters (as Im sure you know) if they have Force Sense, get within 6, and/or have Accurate Shot (and there are enough Republic/Fringe/Affinity pieces that can do that Im sure). So I'm going to have to disagree with your bit on how seldom a ranged piece would deal with Lucky. If any ranged or melee piece should target him and then fail the save, well then thats the whole point of this SA. ;)

Now that all aside I believe that IF this character was a new piece for the Seps, one could still get good use out of it even when facing non-Republic squads. With a CE or two he becomes a heckuva shooter for the Seps even at 10 damage. If he were a 20 damage piece I think he would have to be costed higher and my intent was to keep him in a low'ish to medium cost range.

Anyway, thank you for the constructive critique. I'll be making those changes :)

Last edited by HanSolo79 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:46 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

If I'm reading your Imposter ability correctly, you're trying to make it so that Lucky could move past enemy Republic pieces and not provoke, AoOs, right? But you're also trying to include some protection for other normal attacks as well.

The only problem is your use of the word 'target'. An Attack of Opportunity does not 'target' anything, so, Lucky would always provoke AoOs while moving, and since those don't target, then your Imposter ability would never kick in. The way you have it worded right now would only work on the enemy's turn.

Post subject: Re: Clone Cadet 'Lucky', Separatist Infiltrator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:30 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Thank you for your input. It was my original intention that 'Lucky' would be trying to avoid Republic enemies until he should be targeted by such an enemy, wherein this Clone Imposter S.A. kicks in and would then allow him to potentially not provoke AoO and have the attack redirected. Simulating the season 2 finale CW episode in which young Boba was sneaking around until he was caught 2 or 3 times but passed through.

I changed the SA definition now and changed 'Lucky' altogether some if you'll notice. How's the new definition seem to you guys and how about what I took out and added to his base stats and S.A.'s? Cost about right? If the other SA definition seemed better then this version, then I'll change it back but I wanted to see what the feed back on this one was.

Thanks for the input :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:12 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

... and here's the original version of 'Lucky' and the Clone Imposter S.A. However, I did lower his cost to 20.

Separatist
Cost 20

50 HP
17 Def
10 Att
10 Dmg

Special Abilities:

Double Attack
Accurate Shot
Bounty Hunter +2
Jedi Hunter
Grenades 40
Stealth

Clone Cadet Imposter
(If an enemy under the Republic faction targets this character it must first roll a save of 16; a failed save results in Clone Cadet 'Lucky' not provoking attacks of opportunity from that character and any attacks from that character are redirected to the next legal target for the remainder of this round)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:54 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Quote:
Clone Cadet Imposter
(This character does not provoke attacks of opportunity against enemies under the Republic faction. Clone Cadet 'Lucky' is not considered a legal target for enemies under the Republic faction until he has made an attack or used abilities that replace attacks during a skirmish.)

tossing another idea at you,

Clone Impostor

This character may not be targeted until he has made an attack or used an ability that replaces attack. Characters with Order 66 may not make AoO against this character, save 16.

This is a little out of the flavor of the episode but does give him some options if you were playing against other factions.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:47 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

You could just say Republic enemies, instead of enemies under the Republic faction.

Also, were you intending that ability to work in his favor on Fringe characters in a Republic squad, cause with its current wording, if it was being played, Id say Fringe get to attack/ AoO it.

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:00 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Disturbed1 wrote:
You could just say Republic enemies, instead of enemies under the Republic faction.

Also, were you intending that ability to work in his favor on Fringe characters in a Republic squad, cause with its current wording, if it was being played, Id say Fringe get to attack/ AoO it.

Yes I was intending that the ability would work against Fringe characters who were aligned with Republic. It wouldn't make sense otherwise... at least to me. Why would a fringe character who's aligned with the Republic be exempt to this ability anymore than a Republic character would?

To put it this way, why would a Fringe character "working" for the Republic attack (without provocation) a presumed Republic clone cadet?

Thats why I'm attempting to word the ability in such a way that it would not provide any loop holes to this SA just because any characters are (A) Fringe, or (B) are of another faction but have Affinity to Republic.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:37 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Azavander wrote:
Quote:
Clone Cadet Imposter
(This character does not provoke attacks of opportunity against enemies under the Republic faction. Clone Cadet 'Lucky' is not considered a legal target for enemies under the Republic faction until he has made an attack or used abilities that replace attacks during a skirmish.)

tossing another idea at you,

Clone Impostor

This character may not be targeted until he has made an attack or used an ability that replaces attack. Characters with Order 66 may not make AoO against this character, save 16.

This is a little out of the flavor of the episode but does give him some options if you were playing against other factions.

Is that you Paul? :lol: The thing I had in mind about this ability is that it would work only when facing Republic enemies and those aligned with it. His other SA's would hopefully make him a legitimate opponent if he faced enemies of other factions... and I think the 27 point version would. The 20 point version isnt to bad either; the Bith BSV would give him evade and Whorm would give him twin attack to go with his double for starters.

Here's what I think I would like to see him look like after taking in all the good suggestions here..

Separatist
Cost 20

50 HP
17 Def
10 Att
10 Dmg

Special Abilities:

Double Attack
Accurate Shot
Bounty Hunter +4
Intuition
Grenades 40
Stealth
Clone Cadet Imposter
(This character does not provoke attacks of opportunity against enemies in the Republic faction; this is negated with a save of 16. Clone Cadet 'Lucky' is not considered a legal target for enemies in the Republic faction until he has made an attack or used abilities that replace attacks during a skirmish.)

Now I think the definition covers all enemies in or aligned with the Republic?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:07 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

The new and improved Clone Cadet 'Lucky', Separatist Infiltrator is now posted at the beginning of the thread. Appreciate any constructive criticism and or suggestions for the cost...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:02 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

I was going to say I thought that ability of his was a little too powerful for a piece that cheap, BUT considering it only works against one faction, that ought to cheapen it significantly.

Your Republic opponents are going to have to keep the commanders close by. :P

EDIT: WOOT! Lightsaber!

Wotc GTL: 52ish
Gamers GTL: 2 (dalsiandon, urbanjedi)

fingersandteeth wrote:
Also t4 for override and a cheeky flame.