logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Racine,WI Regional
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:56 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

jonnyb815 wrote:
Side note that I didn't think about there is parking in the back of the store. The store is not a restaurant anymore either.

The store is not longer also a restaurant? So where is the nearest food location?

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:00 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

the owner said there is food down the road on that strip if need be you could order a pizza before your next round. I thought you werent coming eric?

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:05 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

jonnyb815 wrote:
the owner said there is food down the road on that strip if need be you could order a pizza before your next round. I thought you werent coming eric?

I'm driving over with Lou, James and Jason.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:43 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Really annoyed that I have to be a "team player" at work. Stupid boss and others taking the day off.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:09 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Sithborg wrote:
Really annoyed that I have to be a "team player" at work.

Amen brother! Ditto that.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:48 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I dont have a clue how I am getting there without it taking 2.5-3 hours So its looking like I wont be able to make it. Yes Bill I know I can drive up in the morning but thats not really easy or makes any sense. I might just get a hotel somewhere close so I dont have to drive back home since Ill be only an hour- hour and a half away from the event from were ill be at tonight.
So I am 50/50 if I can make it or not.
Jonny

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:30 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

yes ill be there.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:18 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well have fun guys, wish I could be there. I got my hopes up for a minute - one co-worker said her vacation started later than she thought and could pick up my Saturday shift, but then the boss said, "Nope, it's too busy - you're both working!" Bummer. I have a squad I am itching to play at a tournament. Gonna have to wait I guess.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:59 am 
Flim
Flim

Well there is always Kokomo for you Tim!

"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more"-- Albus Dumbledore

Proud member of the Triumvirate

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:28 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

jew3 wrote:
Well there is always Kokomo for you Tim!

Already have the request in, it just depends on how busy it's expected to be, if co-workers have requests, and my manager granting it. I have my fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:19 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

We had 38 people - all played through 6 rounds with no drops.

Top 5 at the end of the swiss

Bill - Skybuck
Jonny - Skybuck
Lobostele - Ganner Hammer (HanGH, Mara, Ganner, Anakin)
Tim E. - from Minnesota - Vader SA, Rex, Tarkin, B&B
Matt Peterson - Ganner's Heavy Lifting (Ganner, Mara, Wedge, Kyle)

Tim E couldn't play in the top 4 as he came with a group of 7 from Minnesota, so Matt Peterson took his place in the finals. Matt had 13pts, and Tim had 14, both were 5-1 and Matt was the only 5-1 not in the top 4, so it was a fair result.

Matt beat me, for the second time in the day (my only loss in swiss) and Jonny beat Aaron (Aaron beat Jonny in Swiss)

In the finals, I beat Aaron (for the second time, I was his only loss in swiss) and Jonny beat Matt for the Champs!

A larger report will come from Lou later, but congrats to Jonny for finally not finishing 2nd and taking home 1st place!

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:04 am 
Guardian of the Old Republic
Guardian of the Old Republic

Yay jonny! He called me friday and asked me what he should play, thank goodness he went with it!

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:54 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Thanks All for coming. Well I finally got first after four regional events(2,2,2,1). So I was due for a win. My squad was SkyBuck 2.1 with 12 acts. There were a lot of Imp squads and NR. I know we had Mand. os,OR I dont know about Vong. I really didnt get to go around and look at the other squads.I might of left the squad sheets at the store.I left some kind of paper but I dont know how big the pile or if it was just about the sportsmanship awards. There should be a full list of the squads sometime this week if I can figure out where they went and they didnt get thrown away. We have a list of all the players so maybe if they did get lost we can still figure out what everyone played.
Here is what I won with
--SkyBuck 2.1--
51 Yoda on Kybuck
47 General Skywalker
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
23 Captain Panaka
18 Jar Jar Binks
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
4 Gran Raider
9 Rodian Brute x3
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 12 activations)

Post subject: Re: Racine,WI Regional(with Results)
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:24 pm 

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/View.aspx?ID=59351

51 Yoda on Kybuck
47 General Skywalker
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
27 Lobot
23 Captain Panaka
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
4 Gran Raider
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

My two losses were to Matt playing NR with Ganner, Mara, TBSV, Wedge. The first game was a timed win where Matt had more points than I, but would have struggled to actually beat me to 200pts (Kyle vs Anakin remaining). But he won on time with a points lead, that nearly cost him his top 4 (he was actually 5 because of it, but 4th place had to leave at the end of swiss).

In the semifinal game, I played Matt again, and this time had him smoked, I just got a little ahead of myself. I spent the first three rounds using Yoda and Panaka to off his door control on his map (Ravaged Base), had a points lead, and all I had to do was kill the remaining ug to lock him out for the win (he was turtling everything around Kyle again). I towed Yoda after he used Ganner and the ug to open a door and had range to the ug, and room to get out of disruptive to immediately swap Yoda back into my safe room and lock the door. I meant to tow, then activate a scrub, then run yoda and swap the next phase (he couldn't stop me from getting the ug no matter what he did), but instead I moved yoda lol. Anyways, that let him chase down yoda, and I couldn't swap away. Matt then won the next init, and Mara hit all 4 attacks to kill yoda, needed them all too. I still killed enough to have the points lead all through the game going into the last 2 rounds before time was called. I killed his Wedge in the second to last round with about a minute left, and now he had to kill Anakin (who was unhit. He ran his Kyle and Mara as far as he could to be within range of Anakin and Matt won init again. Time was called, so all I had to do was either have Mara miss one attack, or make my save on the defense, neither happened, and I lost again something like 150-135.

It's hard to kill Mara, Ganner and Kyle with Yoda in 1 hour, but I had a good strategy against his lack of door control (2 ugs and an R7) that should have given me the game had I executed it correctly.

I will also say a word about my 2 games with Lobostele. He played Deri's Ganner Hammer squad with Han GH, Mara, Ganner, Anakin. I had a much easier time dealing with his squad than Kyle. The games played out slightly different, but for the most part were similar.

I would charge in with yoda, eliminate most of his fodder, take a lot of AoOs when needed, but make sure to kill his Boygaurd (brought a HBG both times against me) and damage Han, Mara, Ganner as I could. I tried to make sure that when Yoda was finally killed, I had Mara, Ganner and Han within Anakin's kill range. He had no choice but to use Han to keep Yoda within dsruptive, so that let me swap Anakin in outside of it and finish Han in both games. Once that was done, Mara finished Yoda, and Anakin/Dash would finish Mara. In the second game, I was able to finish Han, then the next turn hit Mara/Ganner and kill Anakin in the last move before Mara got Yoda. Easy clean up from there, even though I was so tired by that point that I must have activated/unactivated/activated pieces like a hundred times lol.

Anyways, point is, the build does really well against Han, but struggles slightly more against Kyle. It's certainly not a favorable match up for Kyle either, but it's just that it's hard to kill Kyle and Mara in 1 hour, which makes it a tough game if your opponent is willing to take it to time (which Matt did). But Han's 90hps make him an easier target. All you really need to do is get 40 off with Yoda and Anakin can finish him (BGs don't help much as you just use Yoda to make sure the BG bites it as well). You will usually need 2 gallops and regular attacks to do enough damage, not too hard to pull off. You can either move in after Mara has gone and hit a ton of figures, or simply move in, take the AoO's (Han at 10, Mara at 12, so they aren't that bad) and move out of disruptive's range to swap away immediately. It's also a great bait trick to not swap out, and force them to move Han to disruptive Yoda, with another figure within 10 of Han to swap for Anakin. I did that in the second game (too many pieces for him to kill to prevent my swapping).

Also, triple override was a tremendous assest, as I brought it almost every game, and especially against the two NR squads I faced twice each. It really helps make sure you can get where you need to go and deal with activation control figures. It was also the way I won a tough match up with a Superstealth Vader Unleased/Palps on Throne and Thrawn squad.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:20 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I did lose the sheets but I looked at all the pictures so with a little help from others I should be able to get close to a full list

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:45 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

As Bill mentioned, I did indeed do it. Here's the Squad I went with for my ESB Anniversary Challenge:

Luke's Snowspeeder
Rebel Snowspeeder
Princess Leia (I actually had one person complain about my use of her!!!)
General Riekaan
K-3P0
R2 wES
Ugo x4
Han Solo in Carbonite (I always used Smuggler, I didn't realize until it was over that he is not part of my squad and I could have used the extra point I had left over to use Rogue in a couple of games)
Lobot

My reinforcements were always 4 mouse droids and an R7 droid.

Map: Cloud City (Terrible choice, but the only allowable map per my theme)

I wrote down my final scores and opponents and hoped I could rely on my memory for what they played, bad choice.

My first round was against Aaron, I kind of felt bad for him cause I figured I was really going to hurt his SOS going 0-6 for the day. He won map roll and saw immediately how baneful my map was for me and chose it. I deferred to him, hoping he would take pity on me for his placement of Han...he did, but I was forced to set up on the pit side, which suuuuucked.
My most notable achievements were a round two rescue of Han and an unexpected Leia, LukeSS, RebelSS, swap that tok his Mara down to 10. He later sacrificed her to his MTB to get off Unleash. (I guess I kind of forced him to do this :D I had only killed Dodonna and his door control)

201-59

My second game was against Derek, whom I had met that morning as he had driven in from Wisconsin and I had breakfast with him as we waited for the store to open.

For the life of me, I can't even come close to what he played. I won map and chose his, obviously, as that had been my intention prior to Aaron's beatdown. I was surprised though, when time was called and I had actually pulled out a 2-pt win.

101-67

My third game was against Mark and his Separatist Squad of Whorm, 4-Lom, Darth Tyrans LOTDS, Zuckuss and IG-86's.
I won map and chose his, he picked the side with the room. I was worried that he would set my Han in the corner section right in the middle of the 9 square landing area I needed with closed doors. He didn't and ended up setting him inside the room. He then grossly overestimated Tyranus' 25 Defense and my speeders took him down to 10 hp's before he ran him away to hide. I swapped the speeders on the next round to free Han and kill Whorm, but Han later missed a shot on Tyranus that probably would have given me a 3 pt win.

97-68

My 4th game was against Paul and his Senate Commandos. I lost map and he saw the abuse as well, but didn't want to take advantage of it, calling it "cut throat". I encouraged him to make the competitive choice and then picked the left side leaving him with the pit side, so there would be no way my Speeders could get to Han. He wasn't prepared for the Speeder Swap (not many were...and who would be?) and lost R2AM, and two Senate Commandos in the first Round. In the end, I just could do enough damage fast enough to get to all of his pieces and he blocked Han against my mice droids, and the game was pretty lopsided at that point to try any harder to get to him.

104-30

My 5th game was against Fred and his Disruptive NR squad. He had the same map, I won the roll and surprisingly enough, he let me set up first. It didn't matter against all that disruptive. In about 3 rounds my Luke SS was down to 10 and all I wanted to do was free Han, but he kept shooting my mouse droids(which earned him no points!!). In round four I won init, and could either free Han with my mouse or try to kill His Han with my SS, whichever one didn't act was dead. I based Han and shot and missed one putting him down to 30, since the game was over I left the SS based so I could at least free Han. On his turn, he mobiled away!! to shoot the mouse droid, which I was both not happy about and perplexed, and I missed one of the AO's. Mara twinned my Speeder and missed, so I freed Han with the mouse. At the end of that round, the SS was still alive, but the game was over so I don't know why he was so worried about HAn's 40 damage. He finished the speeder off the next round and had enough Gambit to not worry about HAn's 14 points.

202-26

So I'm going into round 6 at 3-2 and feeling pretty good about the squads success as I really had expected an 0-6 day. Round 6 was against Nathan and his VAR, Palpy on Throne, force lightning swap squad. He was on Throne Room and I won, choosing it. He set up on the right side but did not put Han in the elevators as that's where he wanted to set up, putting him instead in the lower corner. Han was freed in the second round, and mopped up all the damage my twin speeders put on Kir Kanos and Var. We played something like 16 rounds and the last 11 were me reconning his Palps in gambit, making him go first then, shooting him with Han, Riekaan and mobile basing him from behind the wall to get past his 34 FP's and Evades.

223-108 (He killed the Rebel SS)

So I went 4-2 and was 5-1 for freeing Han, but most importanly I had a blast!

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:00 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I have most the factions of what people played but not squads yet. I should have a report mid week if I can get everything down.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:14 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Congrats Jonny!

What I great turn-out! I really wish I could have made it.

What happened with Tim E from MN? Was there an emergency that they had to leave? I hope it wasn't that the group was not wiling to wait for someone who made the finals, that would be very unfortunate.

Sounds like a fun time for everyone.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:25 am 

TimmerB123 wrote:
Congrats Jonny!

What happened with Tim E from MN? Was there an emergency that they had to leave? I hope it wasn't that the group was not wiling to wait for someone who made the finals, that would be very unfortunate.

It was nice to see Jonny finally win a big tournament. Now we just have to get Matt to win one lol :)

But as to Tim, he was a really nice guy, and played very well. I don't know if he has a screenname on here or not - maybe on Bloo - Jonny might know. Anyways, it was entirely his own decision. We finished swiss at around 7:30 or so, and he didn't want to hold up his group. It wasn't the other guys being unwilling or anything, he chose to leave on his own and wasn't upset about it or anything. I think he was happy with his finish, had a great time, but was ready to head back (5.5 hour drive I think).

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:28 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

TimmerB123 wrote:
Congrats Jonny!

Honestly, it was almost 8 or so when everything wrapped up to start the finals and they had a four+ hour drive ahead of them. If they had stayed for two + more hours that would have put them home at around 2 or 3 after having got up that morning at 430. I don't blame them.