logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Author Message
Offline
 Post subject: Regional Challenge-May 22
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:00 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:14 am
Posts: 5344
In honor of the 30th Anniversary of Empire Strikes Back, my Regional (Racine, WI) squad will consist only of pieces seen in Empire Strikes Back. I challenge all of you to do the same!! ;) And not just those of you in Racine....

_________________
"200 or 2"
"Consistency is the key, not crying"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Regional Challenge-May 22
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:20 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith
Dark Lord of the Sith
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:38 am
Posts: 1959
I challenge you to play a Fringe Bounty Hunter squad with Han stick and a lot of uggies.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Regional Challenge-May 22
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:22 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:14 am
Posts: 5344
Han Stick? Hansickle?

You'd rather see that, than Vader IC with 20 Snowtroopers?

_________________
"200 or 2"
"Consistency is the key, not crying"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Regional Challenge-May 22
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:30 pm 
Dark Lord of the Sith
Dark Lord of the Sith
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:38 am
Posts: 1959
well Holo veers old trooper opp squad or any rebel non dod squad should do ok. I think the challenge isnt that hard if you play rebels. Maybe I will take you up on the challege. O no a rebel squad without dod or a imp one without thrawn what will you do.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Regional Challenge-May 22
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:32 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:14 am
Posts: 5344
Well, don't forget you lose Mas, Mice, Bothan Nobles and the like. I can't tell if the Princess Leia that grants the additional attack is one from ESB, I'm pretty sure that's her running through the halls of Cloud City, but they also have a Leia of Cloud City too...

_________________
"200 or 2"
"Consistency is the key, not crying"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Regional Challenge-May 22
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:30 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 8:17 pm
Posts: 186
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you still get the Snowspeeder, A&E Leia, and Han Smuggler. You also totally get Rieeken. No Dodonna, though, and no Madine, so the whole "slow" part of it is DOA. I do think that the Hansickle and Chewie&C3P0 would almost have to be in a Rebel squad, just because they are so totally representative of the movie. Maybe use the snowspeeder to rescue Han? Just like in the movies!

_________________
Image
GMB from ATL


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Regional Challenge-May 22
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:12 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:14 am
Posts: 5344
Well, the point isn't to completely nerf yourself..just do without many key ingredients

_________________
"200 or 2"
"Consistency is the key, not crying"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Regional Challenge-May 22
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:10 am 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:06 pm
Posts: 1359
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
Well, the point isn't to completely nerf yourself..just do without many key ingredients

Okay, I'll play Nute Gunray.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Regional Challenge-May 22
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:38 am 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:01 pm
Posts: 6662
Location: Chicago, IL
Engineer wrote:
The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
Well, the point isn't to completely nerf yourself..just do without many key ingredients

Okay, I'll play Nute Gunray.


Eric - I think you missed the point. Nute Gunray was NOT in The Empire Strikes Back.


. . . Talk about Nute Gunray tunnel vision. ;)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Regional Challenge-May 22
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:20 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:03 pm
Posts: 2525
Location: Anderson, SC
I guess veers, piett, and some storm/snow troopers would be good, could even get lando HOT to give them mobile. The funny par about IMPs is they can get Ozzel :)

Its an interesing idea the old school han scoundrel/A&E Leia/Lukes SS would be prob the best squad in that IMO since you cant get dodonna anyway.

_________________
Bald is beautiful.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Regional Challenge-May 22
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:43 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:14 am
Posts: 5344
Weeks wrote:
I guess veers, piett, and some storm/snow troopers would be good, could even get lando HOT to give them mobile. The funny par about IMPs is they can get Ozzel :)

Its an interesing idea the old school han scoundrel/A&E Leia/Lukes SS would be prob the best squad in that IMO since you cant get dodonna anyway.



The Battle of Tanaab took place before ESB, so no Lando, unless it's the original or Dashing Scoundrel. Also the piece represents Lando during the mission brief in RotJ.

Not to mention, Han Scoundrel is from the Escape the Death Star scenes in A New Hope.

_________________
"200 or 2"
"Consistency is the key, not crying"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Regional Challenge-May 22
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:56 pm 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:46 pm
Posts: 7960
Location: West Chester, OH (near Cincinnati)
Well, the specific pose for Han Scoundrel is probably from the Death Star scene in ANH, but he's still wearing the same clothes in ESB. I'd let that one slide.

If you restrict the idea too much, then everybody ends up playing the exact same thing: Luke HPU/SS, Han Smugg, P Leia, Rieekan.

_________________
-Aaron
Mand'alor
"You either die a hero, or you live to see yourself become the villain."
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Regional Challenge-May 22
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:13 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:22 pm
Posts: 4982
LoboStele wrote:
Well, the specific pose for Han Scoundrel is probably from the Death Star scene in ANH, but he's still wearing the same clothes in ESB. I'd let that one slide.


nope, he quite clearly has the stormtrooper utility belt that he kept after getting out of the trash compactor. Scoundrel is obviously the crazy Han that runs down a squad of stormies before he runs into a legion of them.

Quote:
If you restrict the idea too much, then everybody ends up playing the exact same thing: Luke HPU/SS, Han Smugg, P Leia, Rieekan.


people will play the same thing anyway. Most of the strongest rebel pieces are ESB pieces with the exception of about 5.

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Regional Challenge-May 22
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:19 pm 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:46 pm
Posts: 7960
Location: West Chester, OH (near Cincinnati)
fingersandteeth wrote:
LoboStele wrote:
Well, the specific pose for Han Scoundrel is probably from the Death Star scene in ANH, but he's still wearing the same clothes in ESB. I'd let that one slide.


nope, he quite clearly has the stormtrooper utility belt that he kept after getting out of the trash compactor. Scoundrel is obviously the crazy Han that runs down a squad of stormies before he runs into a legion of them.

Quote:
If you restrict the idea too much, then everybody ends up playing the exact same thing: Luke HPU/SS, Han Smugg, P Leia, Rieekan.


people will play the same thing anyway. Most of the strongest rebel pieces are ESB pieces with the exception of about 5.


Eh, I suppose. The Rebel build I've been running lately has the following ESB characters: Han Smug, P. Leia, Gen Rieekan, R2 w/ ES (Dagobah scene, right?), and 2 Ugos. That's only 6 out of 16 activations. Most of the other pieces are ROTJ-based (Luke RC, ERCs, Crix, Ani FS).

And Obi-FS is most certainly ROTJ as well, as when Obi appears in ESB, he has a bluish glow. He's a more orange glow in ROTJ. :P

_________________
-Aaron
Mand'alor
"You either die a hero, or you live to see yourself become the villain."
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Regional Challenge-May 22
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:48 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:22 pm
Posts: 4982
obi FS is easily a ESB fig.

You're not running Lobot these days? Luke SS?

both ESB

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Regional Challenge-May 22
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:55 pm 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:46 pm
Posts: 7960
Location: West Chester, OH (near Cincinnati)
fingersandteeth wrote:
obi FS is easily a ESB fig.


Hehe, arguable. As I said. Obi appears blue in ESB but orange at the end of ROTJ. I'm just being difficult for the fun of it. :P

fingersandteeth wrote:
You're not running Lobot these days? Luke SS?

both ESB


Nope, my favorite Rebel squad right now is still based off yours from GenCon last year. Having way more fun with Luke RC. And don't really need Lobot in the squad, though I could work him in I guess.

_________________
-Aaron
Mand'alor
"You either die a hero, or you live to see yourself become the villain."
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Regional Challenge-May 22
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:19 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:22 pm
Posts: 4982
LoboStele wrote:
Nope, my favorite Rebel squad right now is still based off yours from GenCon last year. Having way more fun with Luke RC. And don't really need Lobot in the squad, though I could work him in I guess.


Levitation sure is an awesome movement breaker but no chance of him being there for the regional challenge.

it seems the best rebel build with ESB in mind is a smuggler/speeder cannon although without dodonna it will be a hard build.
Han rogue is another ESB piece but pretty crap. However, Yoda of Degobah is a pretty good one that can make rogue a cunning mini cannon like th builds i used to run.
Is R2PO a EBS piece? Seems like the only option left to get disruptive seeing as Criz, juno and Shan are all out.

so you could do

Lukes SS
YoD
Rogue
PL
R2PO
Chewie of Hoth
Reiken
filler

or
YoD
Luke HPU
Han Taun
PL
lobot
r2 extenze
Reiken
Bossk (BH or new one)
filler

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Regional Challenge-May 22
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:47 pm 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:46 pm
Posts: 7960
Location: West Chester, OH (near Cincinnati)
fingersandteeth wrote:
Lukes SS
YoD
Rogue
PL
R2PO
Chewie of Hoth
Reiken
filler


I like this one, with either Han Rogue or Smuggler, and this is what I was thinking about if I were to take this challenge (undecided, lol). My problem would be that you'd have to be playing for fun that day, as other more well-built squads will end up winning overall. I like the use of Han Rogue though along with Rieekan, and then Chewie of Hoth with Luke's SS. Looks like it could be fun, and this build wouldn't be hurt by missing Dodonna anyways.

Remember, you could use Luke and Yoda as well. Something like the squad Lou ran 2 years ago at GenCon, expanded to 200 points might run nicely still.

_________________
-Aaron
Mand'alor
"You either die a hero, or you live to see yourself become the villain."
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Regional Challenge-May 22
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:02 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:22 pm
Posts: 4982
LoboStele wrote:
Remember, you could use Luke and Yoda as well. Something like the squad Lou ran 2 years ago at GenCon, expanded to 200 points might run nicely still.


Luke and Yoda
Han Smug
Princess Leia
Lando DS
Lobot
r2 extenze
reiken
filler (15 points)

This has the potential to give ganner/mara squads troubles (actually any squad with force defence does such is the power of Mara's assault)

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

Offline
 Post subject: Re: Regional Challenge-May 22
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:35 pm 
Master of the Order
Master of the Order
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:46 pm
Posts: 7960
Location: West Chester, OH (near Cincinnati)
fingersandteeth wrote:
LoboStele wrote:
Remember, you could use Luke and Yoda as well. Something like the squad Lou ran 2 years ago at GenCon, expanded to 200 points might run nicely still.


Luke and Yoda
Han Smug
Princess Leia
Lando DS
Lobot
r2 extenze
reiken
filler (15 points)

This has the potential to give ganner/mara squads troubles (actually any squad with force defence does such is the power of Mara's assault)


Thanks actually not too dis-similar from what Matt Belmont ran undefeated in the Swiss portion of the Cincy regional, and barely lost to Brian Re's other Rebel build (Luke RC instead of Loda).

_________________
-Aaron
Mand'alor
"You either die a hero, or you live to see yourself become the villain."
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Jedi Knights style by Scott Stubblefield