logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Michigan Regional Results
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:17 am 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

urbanjedi wrote:
Also because of the near auto-losses to either Vader or to GMLS I just don't know. Looking on the squad forum it does seem interesting to think of a build without GGDAC, but I don't know.

I'm not sure if you can get away with the mouse Lance trick. Move the mouse out 12 and then the Lancer gets twin for some of the strafe.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:28 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Engineer wrote:
urbanjedi wrote:
Also because of the near auto-losses to either Vader or to GMLS I just don't know. Looking on the squad forum it does seem interesting to think of a build without GGDAC, but I don't know.

I'm not sure if you can get away with the mouse Lance trick. Move the mouse out 12 and then the Lancer gets twin for some of the strafe.

Actually, you can.

You use the lancer as defense, and for situational single attack long range strafes (mainly to take out activations and so on). Of course you lose to other lancer squads, but you are better off overall in terms of general competitiveness in dealing with the "counters" out there. Here some examples of a Whorm Lancer squad I've run.

--X1 and the Lancer--
45 X-1 Viper Droid
30 IG Lancer Droid
20 General Whorm Loathsom
32 IG-86 Assassin Droid x2
15 Battle Droid Sergeant
12 Gha Nachkt
10 San Hill
8 Battle Droid Officer
7 R7 Astromech Droid
6 Battle Droid x2
6 Mouse Droid x3
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

(200pts. 18 activations)

--Whorm's Droids 200--
30 IG Lancer Droid
80 IG-86 Assassin Droid x5
15 Battle Droid Sergeant
12 Gha Nachkt
10 San Hill
8 Battle Droid Officer
7 R7 Astromech Droid
8 Mouse Droid x4

(199pts. 19 activations)

Now, neither of those is particularly tweaked for the current competitive meta, and tournament play, but the idea is quite sound. And just for fun, I made a Nute Gunray update :)

--Whorm's Droids 200--
30 IG Lancer Droid
30 Nute Gunray
64 IG-86 Assassin Droid x4
12 Gha Nachkt
8 Battle Droid Officer
14 R7 Astromech Droid x2
3 Battle Droid
10 Mouse Droid x5

Preferred Reinforcements:
(Nute Gunray) 15 Battle Droid Sergeant
(Nute Gunray) 5 Rocket Battle Droid

(200pts. 22 activations)

And personally, I played the second one against a pawned lancer squad once (not my idea mind you - but the Vassal opponent thought it would be a good match...) and as you would rightly expect, the pawned lancer smoked it quite quickly. Using lancer's with whorm will lose to Sid/GGDAC almost every time. The increased range, and the extra attacks per round are just too much to overcome. Best bet is to win map, and abuse override and activation control until you can close the gap on it. But against other non-lancer squads, these are pretty darn good. Think of the lancer as air support circling around the troops on the ground tactically - with only the occasional targeted deep strikes. (With these builds, I also use the strafe 12 and base move much more often, for 4 attacks on a critical piece at the right time. Also, you wouldn't believe how great Lancer's work as bait :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:03 am 
General
General

I not only finally found this page but actually have time to say a thing or two

I had an even better time this year with the Michigan guys then last year maybe it was the added Canadians :D

My first game was against Scott Sykes and I'm pretty sure about 90% that that was my first game last year too.

I manage to get buy his Sith Sorcery stuff and have a decent first round win

My second round Game was Against Eric Larson everyone should know his squad by now. :lol:
I am a 100% sure he was my second round game last year lol
I took a beating I was so out activated it wasn't funny but Nute made me laugh most of the game. If I had to do this game over I would have played on Erics map instead of mine. i think i could have gotten a little closer before being shot up by the IGs

My third game was against Trevor Yes finally a change up from last year
Also the first game I have gotten to play against Trevor face to face. It was awesome it came down to the third round at the end he made a huge save for Mara Jade Jedi which kept her alive then won init for the 4th round and it was all over for me at that point.

My fourth round was against Troy another new face for me
I manage to finally get him about round 5 and take over the game. I got my lightning boy in place at end of round and then at beginning of round which killed his r2-c3po piece and twi'lek black sun vigo and take shakti to half hit points. All in all another good game

2-2 at this point and feeling pretty good

My fifth game was against Scott Ferguson He had the snowspeeder squad. Well I manage to kill the snow speeder but for the life of me I could not do anything to stop the one 2 punch of Han opportunist boy and the princess attack again bunny.

At this point I was 3-2 and fell to 11 th overall and thought I had a hell of a good time. I also hope to do this again sometime.

Khanbob42You, sir, are amazing :D

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:57 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I guess I am going to a small write up, since I seem to be the first Sith player at Regionals so far.
Anyway, going into the tournament, I was not prepared at all. I had skipped the Chicago Regional, due to my interest in the being at it's lowest ever (thank MDB). I forced myself to go to the MI, just to support the group. I literally made my squad on the hour ride up to Lansing. I wanted to play something a bit different, and more fun, and here is what I came up with:
Freedon Nadd
Naga Sadow
Twi'lek Vigo x3
Czerka Scientist
Ugg x3
Mouse Droid
Map: Ravaged Base
After I borrowed the pieces I needed (the Czerka and 2 Vigos were not where they were supposed to be) I was set to go. And what is apparently a trend when I go up to Lansing, I get promos for unique squad design, last time was being the only of 28 people to have a RS piece (Twi'lek Bodyguard), and this time for being the only Sith player, all others were NR, Imp, Rebel, Rep, and Sep.

Game 1
vs: Scourge swap with Cultists and Emperor's Hand
My initial game with this squad. It was a pretty good game, despite my loss. I wasn't as aggressive with Freedon as I should have. There was a point where I could've gotten this amazing Sorcery off on the vast majority his figs. I was too concerned with it not sticking, because most of them had FPs, and I would likely would've lost Nadd. Looking back, I should've taken it, since losing Nadd would criple his Cultist's, and drain Vader and the Hand of their FPs. Live and learn. The second big mistake was I misremembered the Hand's HPs. I essentially wasted an attack, since Naga would've been likely to kill him by himself. Oh well. It was still a fun game, and I did hold my own with the shear amount of damage Freedon could absorb, and I would say my Sorcery's were about average. Definately showed me the potential of the squad.
0-1

Game 2
vs: Republic swap with Gen Skywalker, Fett BH, and Dark Woman with Healing
This game went a lot better. The key part of the game came when he swapped Fett in close at the end of a phase. I then walked Naga up and Sorceryed him, activating him, followed by an attack which crit, for 60 dam. Followed by a won init, where Naga finished Fett off without him ever doing any damage. And even with General Skywalker being healed nearly to full after taking half his HPs, he was unable to do enough damage to both Freedon and Naga to win.
1-1
Game 3
vs: another Republic swap squad
This game went close the same way as the other. My Sith pinned down the main guys with Sorcery, and the Vigos cleaned up.
2-1

Game 4
vs: Double Lancer
Yeah, this was going to be a quick game. After a few minutes of debate about whether Sorcery affects Droids, and if "stun" applies to Droids. Would've been quicker if my opponent and the judge just trusted me... ;) Anyway, yeah, it was a quick game. Lancer came and killed off all my support, though I did keep a Vigo due to one miss. Naga was able to engage and kill that one, while Freedon Nadd went to engage his grouped up support. His second Lancer moved to engage Naga, who was able to pin it down with Sorcery so he could kill it, though he was low on HP at that time. The key came when my Freedon was based with his 86. I had no other real option, I had to kill that 86, so I raged. And missed the second attack to kill it. And that was game, since he went on to take two turns with that 86. I still think it would've been closer if I had killed that 86. Freedon would've died from Sidious's Lightning and Greivious, but his main attackers would've been dead. Would've been close, but hey, it happens.
2-2

Game 5
vs: Ganner, Mara, Kyle BM, and Dash
A real fun game. His Ganner didn't do too much, since he kept failing his Sorcery saves. I did Sorcery a lot of his hitters, especially Ganner. It was an interesting game, I think I didn't focus killing things as much as I should have. Definately showed me that I need Override in the squad, as Override was giving me fits. Sorcery definately kept things close. I did it 3 times on round, and nearly took out all of his hitters. Still, he killed my big Sith, and my Vigos could'nt keep up that well.
2-3

In the end, I was very happy with how the squad did. Sith Sorcery is a beast, and I am convinced it can be playable. Dark Force Spirit can also wreck havoc on a lot of figs, so I need to be a bit more aggressive. Anyway, it was good times, and really invigorated my love for the game, which had been at a low point after the issues on bloomilk.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:39 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

notice!

I am missing my General Grevious, Droid Army Commander card. I know I packed it for the trip, though I didn't use him.

Did anyone borrow the card from me? I may have gotten left in my room, but isn't where it wuld likely be.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:47 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

never mind! found him in my room... i need to clean it.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:54 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Seesh, this year seems to be the year of car troubles at Regionals!

Aaron busted up his car.. Mine broke down 2 and a half hours from trevor's home.. spent about 4 hours total waiting on various tow trucks that didn't manage to get us home until 6 am (broke down at 11 pm!) and now Brad hit a deer! crazy. Hope everyone else remains safe.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:28 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Yes, the Michigan Regional was already a week ago, but I left with my family for a week of vacation almost right away after getting back from the Regional, so I haven't had time to post yet. We just got home this evening.

Before I go any further, I've gotta send out some big thanks to Eric for PMing me only 3 days before the event, and persuading me to come (it wasn't hard to persuade me at all!) and then driving with me to Lansing (and getting lost on the way). As always, it was a blast to hang out with you! And yeah, that car trouble...that was a story we'll tell our grandchildren some day, about when we used to drive cars using an antiquated fuel called "gasoline" to power the car engines so that they could move on hard surfaces called "roads," and when cars required the “key” to turn the ignition before they would start, and when a CAA-Plus Membership paid for itself in spades...yep, that story will be a classic! :D Oh, right, back on topic....

Big thanks also to James Wys, who (along with Lou) hosted us at his house, and who also did a masterful job judging the whole tournament and keeping things moving seamlessly and at a quick pace.

After reading Deri’s report of the Chicago regional, I became more interested in using Han GH as a competitive option again. I’ve always loved Kyle (especially since Wedge came in), so it was hard to part with him, but in the end I’m glad I made the choice I did. Here was my squad:

Legacy of the Ganner (because so many figs were from the LotF set)
50 Han GH
45 Mara Jedi
29 Ganner
28 Dash RS
27 Lobot
10 Jagged Fel
09 Dodonna
198 pts, 7 activations (+20 pts of reinforcements)
Map: Commander’s Office (aka Ravaged Base)

I was hesitant about only using 198 pts, but I found that Lobot’s customizability was so much more of an asset than those extra 2 pts in the build total.

Round 1: vs Jason (urbanjedi), who ran GGDAC/Sid/IG-86/Lancerx2/Gha/Fodder.
When I saw what Jason was running, I thought to myself, “Well, maybe I can at least go 4-1.” I brought in a Kel Dor with Lobot and won the map, so we played on Ravag...Commander’s Office. Jason chose the inside, so I set up in the usual location outside. Before the end of the first round, Jason had already strafed my Lobot and Dash, killing Lobot and leaving Dash at 30hp. I killed that Lancer to end the round, and didn’t concern myself with gambit (neither did he); I knew I’d just have to kill his lancers if I was going to even have a hope of surviving. In the second round, I had all my pieces protected by Han’s Disruptive (including my KelDor, d’oh!) and so his strafe wasn’t quite so devastating. The two key things here were that 1) the Lancer rolled a 2 against Dash (leaving him at 10hp), and 2) my Keldor survived because, while it was outside the Disruptive zone, it was in such a place that the Lancer would still be inside the zone when it strafed the Keldor. Jason was able to retreat his Lancer back to the bottom of the map near his starting area, where he thought it was safe. However, I was able to pull off the 18-square Mara move, levitating her to within 6 of the Lancer, and then moving in for an assault, which killed it off to end the round. Now it was my low-health Mara, 10hp Dash, 20hp Jagged, 50hp Ganner, and 70hp Han vs Jason’s full Sidious, GGDAC, and IG-86. I won the next init, and so I made the move that Jason later said won me the game: I levitated Han in beside Mara, where his IG-86 was disrupted, and had to target Han (without Opportunist), whom he could not base. When it was my turn, Han killed the IG-86 and from that point on it was mostly just cleanup, with my 4 pieces able to overwhelm his Sid and GGDAC. Our first 2 rounds took 30 minutes, but once both lancers were dead, neither of us was needing to count squares along multiple routes anymore, and we ended up completing 10 rounds or so, with a full victory for me.
1-0 (50 minutes)

Round 2: vs Ray (don’t know his screenname), who ran Rebels with Shaak Ti JM/LukeCommando/AnakinFS/Han Smuggler/ERCx3/Crix/Rieekan/Dodonna/fodder. His map was the Throne Room; he won the roll, so I started on the left side.
This game was one that I would like to have back, since I now see a number of tactical errors that I made, which lost me the game. It started well, with my levitated Han putting 60dmg on his unactivated Han, who failed both his evade saves, and with me having gambit but him not. I made a mistake in levitating Dash to kill Han the next round, rather than saving him to deal with Shaak Ti; my Dash died to 2 crits from ERCs, who then died, along with Luke, to a Mara assault next round. Han died to Shaak Ti, which hurt. Then Ganner died to her 50dmg crit (Ray must’ve rolled 4-5 crits that game, seriously!) Eventually it came down to my 80hp Mara vs his 120hp Shaak Ti, with both of us having fodder and minor attackers; whoever killed the other’s main piece would have the game won. I won the init, but elected to shoot and kill Rieekan, rather than taking the bold move and assaulting Shaak (with combined fire from Dodonna and Jagged) for the win. He then moved in with Shaak to put 20dmg on Mara (failed block), then won init and attacked Mara for the last 60dmg (again a failed block). If any of those last 3 dice results were different, I could’ve still pulled it out, but I had already made a number of mistakes to let it even get that far, so I deserved my loss.
1-1 (45 minutes) Now I have to win my next 3, if I still want to make the Top 4 and win one of those awesome trophies made by Jake!

Round 3: vs Eric (Ruhk), who ran Kyle/Mara/Ganner/Dash/Jagged/Dodonna/R7/filler. As an aside, WHY did it have to work this way? Why do I always end up playing my best friends long before the playoffs? Neither of us were excited about playing each other at this point, because we both knew that one of us was going to hereby prevent the other from making the playoffs.
My reinforcements were max activations, so that I out-activated Eric by 1. We played on Commander’s Office, with me on the outside again. Eric made an excellent move with a Levitated Dash to snipe my ug and then put 10dmg on my Han (failed evade). Now I had to be very careful with Han, since he was at 80hp and a ripe target for his flying Dash to finish off. But as most NR mirror-matches seem to go, this one came down to whoever won init on the engagement round, since the middle door was locked. I won init and let Eric go first. Then on my turn, rather than sending Mara in to kill Eric’s Mara (and subsequently die to Kyle/Dash), I opened the smaller door below the main door, and put 60dmg on his Mara with my Han. Because of how I placed my figs, Eric couldn’t get his Mara far enough into my area, and so when he did attack, she wasn’t nearly as effective. After that point, the game ended pretty quickly. I should note that my attack dice were disgusting in this match; Eric recounted that I only missed 1 attack roll the whole game, including Han hitting all of his attacks against both Kyle and Mara. That’s the thing with Han: when he can roll those 10s (vs 24 Def, which seems to be required vs most main pieces), he’s outstanding, but when he can’t roll, then he’s a frustrating waste of 50 points. This was a tough tactical match, and even though I managed to pull out a win, it was disappointing because it meant that I kept Eric out of the playoffs.
2-1 (40 minutes)

Round 4: vs Matt Gurney (Gurneywars), who ran VaderScourge/Thrawn/Ragnosx2/Mas/Ozzel/fodder. I won the map roll, and again I ended up on the outside.
As Matt described in his report, there came a crucial point when my 80hp Mara (due to a Ragnos Zap in the prior round) assaulted his 120hp unactivated Vader, missing 1 attack, leaving him at 30 hp. He responded by double-attacking, which I survived with a successful block. In hindsight, LS Throw would’ve been the better choice here, since it would’ve negated Mara’s chance to block and therefore would’ve been an auto-kill on anything but 1s. Even so, it would've still been his 30hp Vader and Ragnos vs the rest of my squad, who were all at full hp. I won the next init and killed Vader, after which I only had to worry about his Ragnos and fodder.
3-1 (40 minutes)

Round 5: vs Lou (Lou), who ran GMY/JWM/3/Dash/R2/R7/mice/ugs. I brought Wicket and fodder for reinforcements. We both had the same map, and I started on the outside of the Commander’s Office map for the fourth time that day.
The first round and a half were all positioning, as normal. But then near the end of the 2nd round, Lou ran a JWM 8 squares to put 20dmg on Han. At that point, Dash, Jagged, Wicket and Han were unable to finish him off, either due to poor attack rolls (Dash missed needing a 5 for the kill), or successful deflect rolls (2x). So I had to use Ganner to push the JWM to death, rather than go after Yoda with Mara. The next round I made a boneheaded move with Ganner/Mara, hoping to kill Dash but failing, which only ended up getting her swarmed and killed; his Dash lasted until nearly the end of the match with those last 10hp. We kept trading pieces until it came down to my Ganner and Dash vs his 10hp Dash, 30hp JWM, and full-hp JWM...and fodder for both of us. I levitated Dash out to kill his Dash, then he killed my Ganner. Now it was JWM x2 vs Dash and Lobot. I won init and decided that it’s all-or-nothing, so I went first with Dash and attacked the 30 hp JWM, needing 9s...I hit 3 of them, but Lou made the crucial deflect, which meant that he could do 80dmg to Dash that round, which finished the game.
In hindsight, while Lou’s save dice were insanely good (5x I had his pieces killed, and 5x he made his Deflect/Block saves!), and while my dice weren’t good at all, I lost this game for myself. As I look back at the game, there are a bunch of moves that I either didn’t see at the time, or chose not to take, and they could’ve made a huge difference in the game. As it was, had Lou’s save dice gone the other way a couple of times, or had my attacks hit, I could’ve possibly pulled out a win. But lots of credit to Lou: he played his Jedi-beef squad very well and deserved the win (and eventual 3rd place) in the Regional!
3-2 (50 minutes)

The entire tournament was a wonderful experience, and my only regret was that we didn't have enough time to finish watching the Star Wars Holiday Special on Friday night...oh wait, I don't regret that at all! :D In that case, I guess my only regret was the bone-headed moves I made at various points, which cost me those games; but hey, I learned a lot from those losses (more than from the victories), and so I’m even grateful for them. I also ended up being the only person who beat the eventual Regional Champion, and that’s gotta count for something.

All in all, it was a blast. Each of my opponents was great to play against, the competition was intense, the group spirit throughout the event was superb, and I learned a lot. This was also my first non-Gencon and non-Vassal tournament, and I came to it with only 72 hours notice! Definitely a memorable and enjoyable experience, that’s for sure. Once again, I offer much thanks to everyone involved. I can’t wait for the Toronto Regional, coming up in June!

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:03 am 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

Yeah Trevor it was either finish off Mara and hope Han missed or go after Han and let Mara go crazy. Neither of which are great options.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:27 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

For some reason, I just woke up this morning with a cool name for Eric's Nute Gunray squad:

"She Turned Me Into a Nute...I Got Better!" :D [From Monty Python's "Search for the Holy Grail"]

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:05 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

TINT you just made my day. Ty sir.