logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: SWM Halloween Scenario - Zombies!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:02 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Lobo and I came up with this special Halloween themed scenario for our local game store. We are playing this at 200pts. The rest of the rules are below:

LoboStele wrote:
Halloween is upon us! What better way to celebrate than with some Star Wars Miniatures: Zombie Infestation!

We've come up with a rule set for our local group that we're planning to try out, and I figured I would toss the rules up here on the forums for everyone else to enjoy as well.

Basically, it works like this. Your entire squad must be living characters. No non-living pieces at all. Whenever a piece dies of 'natural causes' (shot by somebody, flamethrower, lightsaber hit, etc.), you roll a save of 11. If you fail that save, the piece comes back as a Zombie (see below for Zombie stats)! Basically, a Zombie virus has infected everyone. There's no way to know who might become a Zombie until they are dead and it's already too late!

Now, you still control Zombies that spawn from your own pieces. Whether they are activated or not depends on what the status was of the piece that was defeated (kind of like Princess Leia, Hoth Commander's CE).

Now, where it starts to get really interesting is when your Zombies start attacking your opponent. Zombies work basically like Rakghouls. If one of your Zombies kills a living enemy, then YOU get a free Zombie, just like Rakghoul disease. No save of 11 for that either, again, just like the Rakghoul. Whenever a Zombie gets defeated, it is dead...again...lol.

You play the game as normal, first person to defeat the other person's squad wins, or if playing with a time limit, use the normal DCI rules for tiebreakers if time runs out before someone wins.

Here are the stats to use for the Zombies. Non-Uniuqe Zombies come from defeated non-Uniques, and Unique Zombies come from defeated Uniques. Anything killed by a Zombie that spawns a new Zombie, it is spawned according to what the defeated character was, either Unique or non-Unique.

Post subject: Re: SWM Halloween Scenario - Zombies!!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:39 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Quick bump! Yes, we're a couple days past halloween, but that doesn't mean we can't still play this! We'll be running this scenario at the LGS on Thursday. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:34 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Here's a report from my perspective of how this scenario went at the LGS last night.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7900

It was a ton of fun, and DEFINITELY something we'll do again in the future. Let us know if you try it out, and how it goes with your group.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We tried this out with our play group last night. It was awesome! I was only able to get in a couple of games, but everyone was having fun. We didn't play DCI, so no gambit and no activate 1 first, which I thought was fitting since we were playing Zombies so why not play to the last man er dead man. With this in mind, we limited the squads, so we did 150 points with 6 figures max, so a game wouldn't last forever. I was so happy with my groups choices in squads. All the squads were either Seps, Old Republic, Sith, or Mandos. Gimme a sec, I'm tearin up.... OK. Here is what I went with-

Boba Merc
Whorm
Tyranus LOTDS
Bib Fortuna
Wicket
Aqualish Assasin

First match was against Brian playing Sith with Darth Bane, New Malak, Gran, 3 Caamassi Nobles. I played all my games on Exodus Starship. First 2 rounds we both went top side playing who was really going to open the door first, lol. He used Malak to open the door and spent a force to base Dooku with Bane and another for a sweep taking out Bib, Aqualish, and putting damage on Dooku, but both Bib and Aqualish come back as zombies :D . Boba puts 40 on Bane. Rd 3 big init as I am going to lightning and activate Bane or Dooku is done. I lose init and fail all my block attempts and take 100 from Bane in a flash, but now I have Zombie Dooku :P . Then Malak lightnings and lose Bib and Aqualish before they get to do anything. Between Zombie Dooku and Boba I put 100 more on Bane and am thinking it's over. lol Next round I lose init again! Bane swings at Dooku to put him out of his misery needing not a 1 and misses! Leaving Dooku alive. Now Malak as to waste his turn finishing him off and misses as well. OMG. Now, boba puts another 80 on Bane and Zombie Dooku finishes him, so I get Zombie Bane and he gets a Zombie Bane. lol Next round I finally win init and Boba does 120 and destroys Malak and he gets Zombie Malak. So, now it is 3 unique zombies and Boba. Wow, crazy. He wins the next init and has to spend his 2 acts destroying my Zombie Bane, letting me Zombie Dooku go to town and Boba. When the dust settles it is 3 cammassi against Boba and Zombie Dooku and Whorm and Wicket.

A couple of things here. First, I know my opponent was thinking hey when these cammassis die they will become sweet zombies, but he failed to realize how hard it is to kill them. :P He also never used them to base my shooters.

Next game I play against a Mando squad with Boba MC, Canderous, Mando Captain, Mando Gunslinger, Jawa Scout. I use intuition to put some damage on his Boba and Canderous and take about 40 damage in return fire. He stays on his end of the map trying to setup the Canderous machine gun, so I have to trek across the whole map. When I finally get down there Tyranus has about 6 FPs. I win init and use my aqualish to open the middle door allowing me to lighting Boba and he misses the activation save. I take some fire with Canderous, but he misses alot. Then my Boba finishes off his Boba and he doesn't get a Zombie Boba. He kills my Bib, but I get a zombie Bib to tie him up with. I win init next round and drop 120 on Canderous with my Boba and doesn't get a zombie again. He concedes. Zombies really were no factor in this game.

All in all the Zombie effect was really fun. My group was having trouble with the part of Zombie infestation where you get a zombie added to your squad. I tried to explain it like another zombie was coming out of the ground, but I think they would have preferred it to work that if a zombie kills a living creature and they failed the save then you got there piece as a zombie for your squad. If that makes sense? lol Have you guys made any changes since you played this?

Thanks again for coming up with this. Your hard work is appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:22 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Haha, sweet! Glad to see someone else is enjoying this.

Boba52 wrote:
All in all the Zombie effect was really fun. My group was having trouble with the part of Zombie infestation where you get a zombie added to your squad. I tried to explain it like another zombie was coming out of the ground, but I think they would have preferred it to work that if a zombie kills a living creature and they failed the save then you got there piece as a zombie for your squad. If that makes sense? lol Have you guys made any changes since you played this?

Yeah, the way your other players were suggesting is how it's supposed to work. The Infestation thing was supposed to basically be just like Rakghoul disease. In your case, you should have only ever had 1 Zombie Bane on the board at any time. Basically, the difference is, if a piece is killed by another 'normal' piece, then the original player who controls that piece might get the zombie. If an opponent's zombie kills the piece, then the opponent might get the zombie piece.

Sounded like it still worked for you guys though, and having fun is the important part. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah that was my fault then. I read this part on the card - Whenever this character defeats a living enemy, you can immediately add a character named Zombie to your squad. and interpreted it as being a new character. Well, I can tell you that was one of many mistakes that happened lol. It was fun though. I am sure we'll try it again.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:51 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I'm just a tad confused, so if you could check my logic... :P

A living character kills opponent's living character - attacker rolls save 11 or opponent gets a zombie

A living character kills a zombie - that zombie is gone

A zombie kills a living character - zombie controller gets a zombie of the (formerly) living character automatically

Zombie kills other zombie - that zombie is gone

:?:

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here is the way I see it-

Living unit defeats Living unit. Fail save 11 your unit becomes a Zombie. Make save 11 your piece is defeated and removed from play

Living unit defeats Zombie unit. Zombie unit is removed form play.

Zombie Unit hits a Living Unit. Living unit fails save 11 and takes +10 damage. Fails save 11 takes base 20 damage

Zombie unit defeats a living unit. Zombie controller gains Zombie unit that was whatever living unit was. No save opportunity for living unit player.

Zombie unit defeats zombie unit. Defeated Zombie unit is removed from play.

I guess it confused me because I never played Rakghouls. :P

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:00 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Haha, yeah, if you never played Raks then it could be a tad confusing.

I think you've got it now though. We had some confusion the night we tried it too though, so don't feel bad. The point of it was to have fun, not to rules lawyer. ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:41 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I get it now - if my living character gets killed by an enemy living character, I want to fail the save.

No rules lawyering here...
Fun = maximum zombies :D

Actually, sounds like just the right format to play Rakghouls in. :P

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:52 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Just a timely bump 8-)