logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: tossing the skywalker
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:51 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Gurneywars wrote:
More acts from reserves will help against other rebel squads, imp with ozzel squads, and other NR

Except as has been said, once the battle starts, activations are pretty pointless. I think the damage output would be better. Felucians could be fun. :)

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:27 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Against Rebels, you are going to charge, and base something, activations won't matter. What matters are the saves you make with Luke in the first two rounds of engagement. Odds are you are gonna have to base more than one thing, especially if they have lift. You will have to keep Ganner back out of los the first round of engagement, and hope Luke can handle the initial barrage with minimal damage. Disruptive on Talon actually would be useful, if for nothing else then to take a round of attacks from the Rebels not on Luke and Ganner.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:11 pm 
General
General

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and comments/discussion

Khanbob42You, sir, are amazing :D

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:29 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I played my build today against Revan/Bane squad. I about lost Luke, but he stayed alive with 10 HP and i killed the last of the opponents pieces. It really will come down to whether or not you can keep Luke alive. I missed a lot of saves and attacks, so it could have done any better. Basically, after playing it, I like the idea of throwing Luke even more than i did. I think he can counter a lot of squads. I think this is indeed a viable squad in any variation.

-Obi wan

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:29 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Gurneywars wrote:
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and comments/discussion

wellcome

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:31 am 
General
General

Sithdragon13 wrote:
I played my build today against Revan/Bane squad. I about lost Luke, but he stayed alive with 10 HP and i killed the last of the opponents pieces. It really will come down to whether or not you can keep Luke alive. I missed a lot of saves and attacks, so it could have done any better. Basically, after playing it, I like the idea of throwing Luke even more than i did. I think he can counter a lot of squads. I think this is indeed a viable squad in any variation.

What map were you using?

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:28 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Sithdragon13 wrote:

I agree. Luke will be a mini that can shut down enough squads, that he will be a favorite choice among a good chunk of players. Some of his weaknesses are what make him strong. For example, the need for disruptive in today's game tends to be a pretty big need. However, Luke relies little on CEs, so squads that are powerful disruptors are not getting much of an advantage over Luke unless he is paired with Leia. If he is defeated, his squad is often going to lose, but if he stays alive, he is usually going to win, and the mere fact that he is as powerful as he is without help from CEs makes him a very difficult piece to drop. The Opponent is going to usually have to sacrifice major pieces to beat him, which means the opponent better have at least 3 solid damage dealers if he plans on beating GMLS.

GMLS is also a fairly easy piece to learn to play effectively when comparing him with many squads. His most complex gimmick is levitate, so once you have that down, you will usually play pretty competitively. Spend the first Several rounds positioning well (building up force), then pounce on the powerful shooters/auto damage dealers first. Make as many AoOs against melee minis, and save melee enemies for last. Those are some usual basics to follow that I have learned as I've played GMLS. Of course, every match is going to be different, so map, and opponent's squad will also factor in important ways to play GMLS.

I don't think GMLS is going to win Gencon, but I also think people would be unwise to not expect him at Gencon this year. He is a NR version people are going to have to prepare for.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:46 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

lonescout wrote:
I don't think GMLS is going to win Gencon, but I also think people would be unwise to not expect him at Gencon this year. He is a NR version people are going to have to prepare for.

Precisely. I think GMLS has shown up at each Regional in at least one squad. The real key will be whether he'll show up in the hands of top-level players or not. That makes a big difference. But either way, it's certainly something you do have to put a little thought into.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:00 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Gurneywars wrote:
Sithdragon13 wrote:

What map were you using?

Rancor pit. I was on the non-cage side. I am thinking that the rancor pen is going to be a very nice map for levitation squads as they can turn the corner very quickly.

-Obi wan

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:57 pm 
Major Tierce
Major Tierce

The biggest problem with GMLS squads is that they don't really give you any opportunity to actually outPLAY your opponent and will rely quite a bit on Save rolls so while he will be played I would be suprised to see him at the top tables in the later rounds of GenCon because I think many of the top-end players will avoid him because the GMLS squads are all very predictable and most top level players hate having the games come down to whether or not you can roll enough 11s.

He can definately catch people off guard but you would have to get a great string of match-ups to make T8 at Gencon with him and I am just not sure that is possible.

I think that his best case performance will be if someone can guide him to a regional title but asking a Gencon T8 out of him might be a little much.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:59 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Kinda agree. Top players will almost always take the top 8, but if a semi competent player is using Luke i would not be surprised in the least to see him make a top 8. I think it simply comes down to the fact that GMLS is just such a big headache for a lot of the popular squads out there right now. That and if you make half or more of your saves you can upset a better player.

-Obi wan

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:22 am 
General
General

urbanjedi wrote:
The biggest problem with GMLS squads is that they don't really give you any opportunity to actually outPLAY your opponent and will rely quite a bit on Save rolls so while he will be played I would be suprised to see him at the top tables in the later rounds of GenCon because I think many of the top-end players will avoid him because the GMLS squads are all very predictable and most top level players hate having the games come down to whether or not you can roll enough 11s.

He can definately catch people off guard but you would have to get a great string of match-ups to make T8 at Gencon with him and I am just not sure that is possible.

I think that his best case performance will be if someone can guide him to a regional title but asking a Gencon T8 out of him might be a little much.

Although I agree that the squad would more then likely not make top 8 at gencon because there are several squads capable of bringing it down. I kinda wonder why its not really out playing your opponent if you do win?

Dice rolling or chance is always part of this game. Other wise why have attack rolls? Yes so you make a couple of saves. You have to decide when to use those force points to take no damage if that's a big if you make the save, or not to use them in case you fail the djem so saves. But the saves are no worst then an all mobile/evade squad. But your working at a huge handicap with activations and or phases available per round, squad hit points, and damage output available. Other then levitate, djem so and lightsaber defense in this squad there is really nothing to help it. Yes master luke may have master speed which basically gives him charge attack, but that isn't really all that good if you compare it to the lancer speed or the snowspeeder speeds or yobuck with the swap.

I also agree that GM Luke squads are predictable but hey you don't have much room when you use up 115 points on one piece :lol: to fit in much for the rest of the squad.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:46 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Gurneywars wrote:
I also agree that GM Luke squads are predictable but hey you don't have much room when you use up 115 points on one piece :lol: to fit in much for the rest of the squad.

Hey there is nothing wrong with predictable. In the 90s, the Husker football playbook was very straight forward. That didnt mean other people could stop it. In fact one game against K-State we ran 32 Iso something like 20 times because we were on our third string quarterback. They couldnt stop it and we won. That is kind of like GMLS, You know what's coming, but that doesnt mean you can stop him.

-Obi wan

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:12 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

This is an interesting discussion, and it kinda inspires me to consider taking GMLS to our Toronto Regional. I wouldn't have to worry about the Lancer droid, which has been devastating to so many other squads.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:20 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

thereisnotry wrote:
This is an interesting discussion, and it kinda inspires me to consider taking GMLS to our Toronto Regional. I wouldn't have to worry about the Lancer droid, which has been devastating to so many other squads.

What about Nute Gunray?

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:37 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Speaking of Nute - I just got mine in the mail today. Picked up the last one on CoolStuffInc. Thanks for the inspiration! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:47 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

Demosthenes wrote:
Speaking of Nute - I just got mine in the mail today. Picked up the last one on CoolStuffInc. Thanks for the inspiration! :mrgreen:

:D That is so wonderful to hear that Coolstuff is out of them. I bet they are wondering why?

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:07 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

The guy at CoolStuff probably had 20 Nutes last week, then today has none, and is sitting there scratching his head, lol.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:39 pm 
General
General

Engineer wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

What about Nute Gunray?

Well I don't think he would fit in a NR sqaud :lol: But it is an interesting idea. :lol: