13 Kel Dor Bounty Hunter
12 Gha Nachkt
10 Massiff
10 San Hill
7 R7 Astromech Droid
4 Mouse Droid x2
6 Rodian Brute x2
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

We played on Rancor Pen. I was on the left. Obviously my strategy was to give everyone twin so I can at least get 40dam on the move with my jedi, with the prospect of 80 if I position right. Opponent planned on using Maul with 8 attacks by basing me, winning init with Lobot and then owning me. But he didn't press his attack. He got to the gambit area and waited 2 rounds there, then actually retreated them (after I took out his IG 100 droid) before the internet cut out and we had to stop. By this time I was ahead by 2 points (I had to sacrifice a Kel Dor to get his more expensive IG).

Now, I was just prepared to wait it out and snipe and force him to come to me, while sitting in Gambit. My question, and the whole point of this thread is to find out, should I feel bad? Is that bad sportsmanship? Or is it a solid, game winning strategy?

Post subject: Re: Should I feel bad?
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:51 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, a lot of it really depends on the game. Is it a tournament? Then you do whatever you need to to win. Does the difference between winning quickly or slowly change anything? I.e. does it become a 2 point vs. 3 point win? If the way you win doesn't change anything, and the other guy wants to retreat, then it's his loss. The only thing you could do at that point would be to call the judge over to possibly look at the opponent's tactics as slow play.

It's always hard to determine what is considered 'good sportsmanship'. However, being a good sport doesn't mean you should rush your pieces into a situation which could cause you to lose, just because the opponent thinks you should. If you are ahead on points, and both of you are getting gambit, then it is your opponent's responsibility to bring the attack to you. It's not bad sportsmanship to play smart and take advantage of any situation that gives you an edge. That's called smart playing. ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:15 pm 
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire
Junk Dealer Extrodinaire

You shouldn't feel bad in the slightest. First of all, you were engaged. You were sitting in the middle of the board and shooting at him--that's pretty much the definition of engaged. Second of all, I don't buy the idea that playing poorly (i.e., charging his 8-attack Maul when you have the lead on points and tactical control of the board) is "fun." For me, fun is trying out various squads and playing them to the best of my ability, which does mean trying to win, even if the tactics involved aren't always totally heart-pounding exciting. Third, the idea that this is "bad sportsmanship" is ludicrous. Bad sportsmanship would be trash-talking or failing to remind your opponent that he forgot about to add four points to his attack roll for an active commander effect or something like that. And, frankly, if someone was beating me and started to make overtly stupid moves because they felt bad for me, I would feel like that was sort of bad sportsmanship--if you're whipping me, you don't need to rub it in by making me a charity case.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:18 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Thanks, that is what I wanted to hear. It is a friendly game against my brother, but we were an hour and a half in and only on the 4th round. Had it been a tournament I would definitely have called a judge over for slow play.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:33 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Nope. If you had a lead and you were in gambit that's all the approaching you need to do. It's the person's job who is behind and/or not in gambit to do something to attempt to gain the lead again. (ie, not maintain the status quo which would result in a loss.)

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:57 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

wannabemexican wrote:
Thanks, that is what I wanted to hear. It is a friendly game against my brother, but we were an hour and a half in and only on the 4th round. Had it been a tournament I would definitely have called a judge over for slow play.

Hour and a half in and only on the 4th round? Seriously? I'm guessing you were playing Vassal (you talk about internet cutting out) but that's still excessive, even with a San 16-activation squad. And if you were in Gambit waiting for him to come get you, there is absolutely nothing wrong with what you did. Sometimes it's at your disadvantage to chase after your retreating opponent, it puts them at an advantage cause while you're double moving they don't have to. I got caught at GenCon with someone doing that to me and it gave me a loss.