logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post subject: Re: Looking for non-unique ideas for Vset figs
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:17 pm 
General
General

dalsiandon wrote:
NickName wrote:
darthbabylon wrote:
I think the game always lacked faction specific ce's for troopers, soldiers, scouts, operatives, ect. I always see people building with fringe, troop types. especially, sith, old rep, new rep, 90% of their troops,soldiers, scouts are worthless.

fringe support, I think should always come with a cost. it will make using certain factions more unique.

Jingoist Rallier
Fringe
Cost (low)
Stats (crap)

Affinity: Any non-Fringe faction.

Jingoist Reinforcements: If the squad contains no characters of a different faction, you may add reinforcements equivalent to 10% of the build total.

Jingoist Reserves: If the squad contains no characters of a different faction, you may add reserves equivalent to 10% of the build total on an init roll of 1.

:D Effectively a faction-pure bonus one you iron out the wording and cost.

This is a nice thought, but I can see part of the resoloution to the problem in adjusting some of hte troop-types in the factions DB is discussing, becasue the Empire and the Sep's are the only group where their basic fodder troops are common in the game. However the SIth have nice troops and have a couple of decent enough troop CE's, but they are not a troop faction, sorry, and the NR is harldy disimilliar than the Rebels, it's a Unqiue powered faction, it was the unique heros that won the war not the front line grunts.

Tell that to those poor troopers that died in the trenches of hoth oh you mean the game. :lol:

Khanbob42You, sir, are amazing :D

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:11 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
Gurneywars wrote:
dalsiandon wrote:
NickName wrote:
darthbabylon wrote:
I think the game always lacked faction specific ce's for troopers, soldiers, scouts, operatives, ect. I always see people building with fringe, troop types. especially, sith, old rep, new rep, 90% of their troops,soldiers, scouts are worthless.

fringe support, I think should always come with a cost. it will make using certain factions more unique.

Jingoist Rallier
Fringe
Cost (low)
Stats (crap)

Jingoist Reinforcements: If the squad contains no characters of a different faction, you may add reinforcements equivalent to 10% of the build total.

Jingoist Reserves: If the squad contains no characters of a different faction, you may add reserves equivalent to 10% of the build total on an init roll of 1.

This is a nice thought, but I can see part of the resoloution to the problem in adjusting some of hte troop-types in the factions DB is discussing, becasue the Empire and the Sep's are the only group where their basic fodder troops are common in the game. However the SIth have nice troops and have a couple of decent enough troop CE's, but they are not a troop faction, sorry, and the NR is harldy disimilliar than the Rebels, it's a Unqiue powered faction, it was the unique heros that won the war not the front line grunts.

Tell that to those poor troopers that died in the trenches of hoth oh you mean the game. :lol:

Those poor troopers on hoth, uh, I hate to brake it to you but they lost.

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:43 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Some ideas of mine from my custom set, full stats can be found here: http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9017

Old Republic
Jedi Philosopher
Jedi Seer
Old Republic Commando

Sith
Sith Scientist
Technobeast

Mandalorians
Mandalorian Combat Instructor
Mandalorian Infiltrator

Separatists
Annihilator Droid
Geonosian Elite Warrior
Geonosian Engineer
Grapple Droid

Rebels
Rebel Sympathizer (C)

Imperials
Imperial Cryptographer
Procurator Of Justice

Yuuzhan Vong
Voxyn
Yuuzhan Vong Firebreather
Yuuzhan Vong Infiltrator

Fringe
Arms Dealer
Bith Musician
Black Sun Informant
Gand Findsman
Givin Mathematician
Hutt Information Broker
Race Fixer
Starweird

Hope some of these are useful :)

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:51 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
I'm just curious we have lots of cool ideas but if hte idea is to use existing mini's with a minimum of customization needs how are we going ot do some of these interesting species that people are tossing around?

I have an idea for how a few would work, but a number of them are head scratchers

Member of the SWMRAC

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:16 pm 

dalsiandon wrote:
I'm just curious we have lots of cool ideas but if hte idea is to use existing mini's with a minimum of customization needs how are we going ot do some of these interesting species that people are tossing around?

I have an idea for how a few would work, but a number of them are head scratchers

I'm guessing Greenstuff - lots of it XD

Putty, epoxy, or some other carving material might also work...

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:24 pm 
General
General

dalsiandon wrote:

Because alot of those ideas are things that can't be done in Vsets, unless we start going the route of printed cardboard models.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:17 am 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

Wedge772 wrote:
Because alot of those ideas are things that can't be done in Vsets, unless we start going the route of printed cardboard models.

There are so many characters that can be done with the existing figures, I'm not concerned anymore about running out of ideas.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:19 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Here are my ideas
Old Republic:
Please don't give them too many non-unique jedi, they have plenty
Jedi Master (strong force user, Jedi Knight)
Jedi Lord (higher-costing commander, Jedi Guardian CS)
Onderon Soldier (someone mentioned Kota's Militia work well earlier)
OR Recruiting Sargent (helps the OR Recuit and other soldiers)
Elite OR Soldier (OR soldier)
OR Trooper (from TOR, use a clone or stormtrooper)

Sith:
Again, don't give them too many non-unique jedi, they have plenty as well
Sith Lightsaber Instructor (great duelist w/ a commander effec, use the Dark Side Marauder)
Sith Acolyte (low cost force user, use the Dark Side adept)
Sith Minion (low cost melee character, could use many melee characters)
Umbaran Shadow Assassin (Royal Guard or Shadow Guard)
Imperial Agent (from TOR, not totally sure what to use)

more later

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:33 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

dalsiandon wrote:

Well if all the V-Sets have to be made with existing mini then the Vong as a Faction are screwed. as really very few can be made into others without a lot of customizing.

I personally do not think that this should be the main consideration for the V-Sets.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:27 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

dreadtech wrote:
Well if all the V-Sets have to be made with existing mini then the Vong as a Faction are screwed. as really very few can be made into others without a lot of customizing.

Don't be concerned about that for the time being. Patience and trust are the ways of the Force. Fear only leads to the Dark Side.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:26 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

dreadtech wrote:
dalsiandon wrote:

I personally do not think that this should be the main consideration for the V-Sets.

There are quite a few, actually, that you can do, if you are open to it. I assure you, I am NOT going to be customizing minis.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:41 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Engineer wrote:
dreadtech wrote:

Don't be concerned about that for the time being. Patience and trust are the ways of the Force. Fear only leads to the Dark Side.

This was not a complaint my friend i was just giving my thoughts to the others person post, and not aimed at you or the others doing the V-Sets . To be fair i did have some initial doubts but i think Bill answered most of the questions i had doubts about. As such i am now just looking forward to the first V-Set to come out.

Your answer was nicely put though.

@sithborg
Well you could change a few square based Vong and put on a round bases, and there are a few none faction Vong that could be moved to that faction such as the Vornskr, but other than that not sure which one you are talking about. I would be interested in hearing more about your ideas providing you do not have inside info about the V-sets and discussing your ideas would give hints about the sets. I can see how some could be changed but not without a lot of customizing. I shall have to look over the Vong again I guess. As you can see by my Avatar I do not mind doing a few customizing of minis but do understand that this will be an issue for others.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:04 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Easiest of course is the Peace Brigade. For the actual Vong, the Taung is the one that is the easiest to squeeze in. But there are other figs out there that you can make fit, as long as you are not obsessed with accuracy. And if needed, all Humans and Duros, if not other species, could be essentially Infiltrators.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:26 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Sithborg wrote:
Easiest of course is the Peace Brigade. For the actual Vong, the Taung is the one that is the easiest to squeeze in. But there are other figs out there that you can make fit, as long as you are not obsessed with accuracy. And if needed, all Humans and Duros, if not other species, could be essentially Infiltrators.

I see, I did think about Peace Brigade but as WOTC decided to put the only one we have as fringe i assumed any other V-Set peace Brigade would also be fringe. Of cause that is an assumption on my part and could be wrong. However if this is the case then even though these would help Vong more than other factions i still see them as fringe and not as Yuuzhan Vong. Hence me saying that most Vong are more difficult to customizes. I would Like to see Infiltrators though as these would be Vong and can look like anything, good call on that sithborg.

For me though you do mention the point i was trying to make however poorly i wrote it down, that Figs do not need to be accurate to the V-Set cards. As i said it should not be the main consideration when doing the V-Sets, that card and mini should match.

Anyway i think Engineer has already made the postion clear on this matter, and am happy with the comment he made regarding this.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:45 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

dreadtech wrote:
Anyway i think Engineer has already made the position clear on this matter, and am happy with the comment he made regarding this.

I should also add that Nute Gunray will be the custom fig to represent all the Vong in V sets.

Okay, fine, I have Nute on the brain. ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:47 pm 
General
General

Sithborg wrote:
I assure you, I am NOT going to be customizing minis.

Same here, and I really don't see why we would need to. More than enough content to last ages.

The problem only starts when people start requesting for new alien species, or highly distinctive uniques. We're not going to get a Boss Nass, unless it's "Boss Nass, Lose Weight Now Ask Me How". We're not going to get a Morseerian, or a Baragwin, or a Kowakian Lizard Monkey. We're not going to get that funky Separatist spider general.

Vong would probably be one of the easier factions to pull off IMO. We have no visual guidelines for many of their uniques, which gives us greater freedom to be creative. Let's say we have a Shimrra, using the figure from Praetorite Vong Priest. Obviously not the greatest choice, but it'd be workable and better than nothing. Peace Brigade can really be just about anything.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:40 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Wedge772 wrote:
We're not going to get a Boss Nass..

I wouldn't say "won't." What is more likely in such instances (Boss Nass was actually one of the pieces initially discussed as an add-in for the first V-set) is that a piece will be recommended for use with the stat card, even if it doesn't look exactly like the actual character.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:54 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Sithborg wrote:
dreadtech wrote:
dalsiandon wrote:

There are quite a few, actually, that you can do, if you are open to it. I assure you, I am NOT going to be customizing minis.

Like I said I know of a few and I can see some of them working easily, and I'm also okay with using my imagination for some of these, I think that would be perfectly legit in several instances.

Member of the SWMRAC

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:35 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Spy Satellite
Fringe
Cost: 12
Hp: 70
Def: 16
Att: --
Def: --

Special Abilities
Emplacement
Recon
Disruptive
Feedback Loop (at the start of each round, choose one character, that character takes 10 damage, and any Commander Effect that your opponent has that modifies the number of activations is nullified)

An interesting piece idea that provides a counter to Dodonna/San/etc, while also having an added benefit. The piece is not a total direct counter as it has multiple aspects to it. It does come at a cost, the damage each round would be non-avoidable. Thats the cost of all the goods in a low cost.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:45 am 
General
General

dalsiandon wrote:
Gurneywars wrote:
dalsiandon wrote:
NickName wrote:
darthbabylon wrote:

Jingoist Rallier
Fringe
Cost (low)
Stats (crap)

Those poor troopers on hoth, uh, I hate to brake it to you but they lost.

They lost the battle but they died to win the war. So many troopers, pilots and heros got away to continue to fight and eventually win the war.

Khanbob42You, sir, are amazing :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next