logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Post subject: Re: Looking for non-unique ideas for Vset figs
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:33 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

The different Trooper types are ripe for expansion. I think the Hoth and Snow troopers are a great way to make a playble trooper sub theme. You don't want the Rebel, Scout, and other trooper types to get a similar boost. Or even expand the existing ones? You can still expand the Rebel, Republic, and Imperial factions while still boosting the others. And considering, outside Fringe, they do have the largest amount of worthless pieces, one of the main goals of these sets.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:48 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

In the same vein of Elite and Veteran there can be Rookies that cost less. Such as a Rookie Stormtrooper that costs 4 points with less Atk/Def than the regular. Or even make it screwy and give it 0 Damage but Cunning or Opportunist only.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:06 pm 
Customizer Extrodinaire
Customizer Extrodinaire

dalsiandon wrote:

How do I scroll to 19 when there are only just now 20 posts? ANd I put my thought in there in agreement with some of the previosu ideas. As for Veteran Troopers, I see what you mean, but we need some kind of fodder upgrade or a different kind of fodder, and a few CE's are gonna be helpful too, it needs to be a mix.

You were supposed to click the link and scroll down to the 20th character. :P I'll just post the stats here:

20. Yammosk
Cost: 23
Faction: Yuuzhan Vong
Hit Points: 110
Defense: 15
Attack: 0
Damage: 0

Large
Booming Voice (Allies' commander effects normally limited to 6 squares have unlimited range)
Emplacement (Cannot move or be moved. Set up anywhere on your half of the battle map. )
Dependent Leadership (When this charater is defeated, allied Yuuzhan Vong gain Savage as long as no other allied Yammosk is in play)

Commander Effect:
Yuuzhan Vong allies gain Gregarious. Each Yuuzhan Vong ally can use 2 abilities that replace attacks instead of 1 on its turn.

---------------------------------
For trooper and fodder, it can be good, but I don't think we should exhaust all of them on the first VSet. Maybe 1 or 2, yes, but not too many. Also, they can't be too similar. If all the factions have a 4 pt. shooter with such and such abilities, and a 5 pt. shooter with such and such abilities, etc, the idea could get bland very fast.

"Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration."
-Thomas Edison

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:32 pm 
General
General

NickName wrote:
Really, the main need is more commander types that help existing followers in creative ways.

Jawa Leader
Ewok Leader
Tusken Raider Leader

Long overdue. Additional to those:

Rodian Senator (use the Rodian Diplomat figure for a Rodian booster)
Bespin Guard/Cloud City Trooper Officer (also be nice to have a Lando that worked with the theme)
Gamorrean Boss
Jabba's Thugs Boss (something to bring together the Niktos, Weequays and maybe Gamorreans)
Quarren Isolation League Leader (Separatist piece with a Quarren booster)
Trandoshan Slave Crew Boss
Felucian Shaman

It'd also be hilarious to have a "Cantina style" build, with a bonus for having as many different alien species as possible :) Probably not feasible since species are not properly defined on the majority of pieces in this game, but it'd be funny.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:29 am 
General
General

We do need non-unique characters that have Commander effects for soldiers.

many versions of trooper/soldier/commando types that we have

Khanbob42You, sir, are amazing :D

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:41 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

jedispyder wrote:
In the same vein of Elite and Veteran there can be Rookies that cost less. Such as a Rookie Stormtrooper that costs 4 points with less Atk/Def than the regular. Or even make it screwy and give it 0 Damage but Cunning or Opportunist only.

Great minds think alike.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:09 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
jedispyder wrote:

Great minds think alike.

My mediocre mind likes this idea! :P

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:49 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Old Republic
OR Sargent
OR Recruiting Sargent ( give the OR Recuit something to make her worth taking)
OR Wookie Officer
OR General
OR Medical Officer or Battle Medic
OR Fight Officer/Pilot
OR Elite Trooper

Sith
Sith Saboteur
Sith General

Mando
Mando Grenadier
Mando Medic
Mando Infiltrator

New Republic
Rogue Squadron Pilot
New Republic Commando Officer
NR Commando
NR Medic
NR Elite Trooper
NR Senator

Vong
Others have listed theses already, so many possibilities

Fringe
Chiss Officer
More Black Sun
Tusken Leader
Jawa Leader
More Peace Brigade (though personally i think they should be Vong faction)

Also i would like to see more done with the different alien races, I know WOTC started doing this so it should not be that hard to expand upon. I know others have mentioned this as well, just thought I would add my vote to this as well. Do not forget Humans count as a race as well.

@Engineer
Any Chance of doing a Q&A thread about your vision of the future of the V-sets? this gos for the others involved as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:59 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
jedispyder wrote:

I really like this idea as well. As for no attack but a SA bonus, you'll need to consider faction with that. No one will want to run a 4 point Stormtrooper rookie with opportunist and no base attack, considering he can get opportunist in the empire from 2 commanders but I could see a rookie Stormtrooper looking a lot like the rebel trooper does. I only use the stormtrooper as an example I am sure there are other examples beyond but this is the first one that struck me.

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:50 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Something totally insane at first, but you realize it may not be as useful as you think.

I.E. :
Mandalorian Recruiter
Cost: 24
HP: 40
Def: 14
Att: +6
Dam: 20

SA
Rapport (non-unique followers cost 1 less)
Mandalorian Conscription

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:49 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

I think the game always lacked faction specific ce's for troopers, soldiers, scouts, operatives, ect. I always see people building with fringe, troop types. especially, sith, old rep, new rep, 90% of their troops,soldiers, scouts are worthless.

fringe support, I think should always come with a cost. it will make using certain factions more unique.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:57 am 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

Joker sq stormtrooper :stormie:

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:01 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

darthbabylon wrote:
I think the game always lacked faction specific ce's for troopers, soldiers, scouts, operatives, ect. I always see people building with fringe, troop types. especially, sith, old rep, new rep, 90% of their troops,soldiers, scouts are worthless.

fringe support, I think should always come with a cost. it will make using certain factions more unique.

Jingoist Rallier
Fringe
Cost (low)
Stats (crap)

Affinity: Any non-Fringe faction.

Jingoist Reinforcements: If the squad contains no characters of a different faction, you may add reinforcements equivalent to 10% of the build total.

Jingoist Reserves: If the squad contains no characters of a different faction, you may add reserves equivalent to 10% of the build total on an init roll of 1.

:D Effectively a faction-pure bonus one you iron out the wording and cost.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:40 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

Location: Aboard the Exocarrier Resalute, waiting to free all SWMer's from Tyrnany
NickName wrote:
darthbabylon wrote:

Jingoist Rallier
Fringe
Cost (low)
Stats (crap)

Affinity: Any non-Fringe faction.

Jingoist Reinforcements: If the squad contains no characters of a different faction, you may add reinforcements equivalent to 10% of the build total.

Jingoist Reserves: If the squad contains no characters of a different faction, you may add reserves equivalent to 10% of the build total on an init roll of 1.

:D Effectively a faction-pure bonus one you iron out the wording and cost.

This is a nice thought, but I can see part of the resoloution to the problem in adjusting some of hte troop-types in the factions DB is discussing, becasue the Empire and the Sep's are the only group where their basic fodder troops are common in the game. However the SIth have nice troops and have a couple of decent enough troop CE's, but they are not a troop faction, sorry, and the NR is harldy disimilliar than the Rebels, it's a Unqiue powered faction, it was the unique heros that won the war not the front line grunts.

Member of the SWMRAC
Member of the Completed till the End and Beyond Club

Come rate my squads on Bloomilk...http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.a ... dalsiandon

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:42 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Arcona Arms Dealer
Cost: 19
Hit Points: 50
Defense: 13
Attack: 4
Damage: 30

SA: Heavy Weapon
CE: If this character has not activated this round, allies within 6 squares gain Flamethrower 20, Grenades 40, Missiles 30, and Net Gun. When an ally uses a special ability granted by this commander effect, this character is considered activated this round.

From BlooMilk custom set. Feel free to take/change for Vsets.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:22 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

See also the Low-Cost Figures thread.

Latest version of the Door Control Panel (my favorite from that thread):

Door Control Panel
Cost: 2, HP: 10, Def: 12, Atk: -, Dmg: -.
SA:
Emplacement
Very Small: Does not block movement or provide cover. Enemies may choose to not count this character as the nearest enemy.
Wall Panel: Not subject to Commander Effects and may not attack or use abilities that replace attacks. Any character may end its movement on this character to immediately defeat this character.
Door Controls: Character must be placed adjacent to a door at the start of the skirmish, and no more than one character with the same name as this character may be adjacent to the same door. If this character is not activated, an ally with line of sight to this character may, at the end of the ally's turn, designate a door adjacent to this character as open or closed; it remains open or closed until the end of this character's next turn, or until this special ability is used again; this character is considered activated, and does not count as one of your activations this turn. (Using this ability to open or close doors is equivalent to using the Override ability for the designated door.)

Glossary text: If this character is not able to be placed adjacent to a door at the beginning of the skirmish, then it is immediately defeated and your opponent scores the victory points.

The glossary text (courtesy Lobostele) is important so that the piece isn't abused. It makes it too big of a risk to take more than 2 or maybe at most 4 of these at once. If your opponent brings a low or no-door map you could lose the points before the game even starts.

Possible variants:
Automatically defeated either on any adjacent attack, on any attack, or when any character stops movement in its space.
Override ability can only be used by adjacent allies, or allies within 6, rather than line of sight.
Cost could be 1-3 depending on the variant.

Cost 1 version:
Automatically defeated by any attack or by any character landing on it. Override ability can only be used by adjacent allies. Cannot be activated (i.e. if adjacent doors are blown open the piece becomes useless).

Cost 2 version:
Automatically defeated by any character landing on it (or maybe just by an adjacent attack). Override ability can be used by ally with line of sight (or only by ally within 6). Doesn't provide an extra activation if the Override ability is used. Does provide an extra activation if the Override ability is not used.

Cost 3 version:
Not automatically defeated. Override ability can be used by door control panel character itself. (In other words, it counts as an activation rather than being activated on another character's turn.)

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:01 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Space Trooper
Custom Idea: Get your Phase 3 dark trooper and paint it white.
Stats: Like the b3 ultra battle droid. Maybe flight, triple and splash 20.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:19 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

The Tactical Droid would have been a nice addition to the Separatists. Won't happen I guess. But one could perhaps have stats representing the Battle Droids which fulfilled the role of a Commander in the movies. Before the cartoon introduced the Tactical Droid. Then one of the Battle Droid figures could also be used.

Battle Droid Commander

Cost: Not Very High

Hit Points: Low
Defense: Low
Attack: Low
Damage: Low

Special Abilities
Battle Preparations (Allies may set up within 6 squares from the edge on their side of the map)

Commander Effect
Droids are subject to this effect: At the end of this character's turn, 1 ally may relocate to a position within 6 squares away from its current position.(Within a number of squares equal to its speed). Enemies may not make attacks of opportunity against the character relocating. The relocating character may not make any attacks while relocating.

Notes: "Battle Plans" does not stack and was supposed to discourage the use of multiples. Tactical Droids and presumably Battle Droid Commanders would not seem to have been deployed in groups. The Commander Effect was capped at a set number of squares to prevent Lancer abuse (even though a relocation was not intended to allow for Strafe Attacks to be made).

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:58 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Most of the large base "cavalry" minis need a reboot:

Gungan on Kaadu
AT-RT
Clone Trooper on Gelagrub
Geonosian on Orray
Battle Droid on STAP
Scout on Speeder
Commando on Speeder
Stormtrooper on Repulsor Sled
Sandtrooper on Dewback
Dark Hellion Marauder on Swoop Bike

Today these are fun to collect but they are rarely played - too expensive, too fragile, and not enough offense. The IG Lancer Droid is the obvious exception. New versions of these minis that are more Lancer-like would be welcome. Good SA's for cavalry include Charging Assault, Furious Assault, Momentum, Strafe, Galloping Attack, higher Speed, etc.

Maybe you could come up with a well balanced Cavalry Charge SA: at the end of ths character's turn, you may immediately activate one ally whose name contains "on speeder" (or whatever) that was adjacent to this character when it started its turn. This does not count as one of your normal activations for this phase. The second character must end its move adjacent to this character.

Sort of a limited and situational tempo control. You could chain them out to activate a lot of characters, which would be powerful... but the combined charge would stall if a character died while charging... that's one way to balance it, there are other ways.

The Huge Cavalry need a lot of work too.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 2:45 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I'm sure several versions of this have been suggested but: Droideka = Destroyer Droid +20-40Hp, Speed 2, Swarm +4/Close Quarter Fighting and maybe Twin Attack...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next