logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 200 Point Vong
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:38 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

OK, just looking at some thoughts on possible Vong builds for 200 Points now. I know it might not be the most competitive, but I think it's at least got a chance. Anything you can think of to improve on this one?

54 Cad Bane
34 Nom Anor
27 Lobot
20 Yuuzhan Vong Jedi Hunter
19 Yomin Carr
18 Praetorite Vong Priest
13 Czerka Scientist
12 Advance Scout x2
03 Mouse Droid

10 activations, 200 points

Probably Ooglith the Priest, just to protect it from Accurate shooters and allow it to easily advance along with the JH. I chose the Priest over the Shaper because it lets me get 1 more activation, plus, the Priest still allows Nom to use Twin from the Czerka, if Nom happens to get shot at all. Plus, I think the +4 attack could be key for the JH to really tie-down other big pieces like Yobuck or Kyle JBM. The Jedi Hunter can do possible 60 damage to Yobuck on an AoO, 80 if Yobuck attacked him first. Once the JH goes down though, really lose a lot against the Republic builds I think. Would have to depend on Bodyguards or Self-Destruct damage after that.

With the somewhat prevalence of Melee, I'm almost tempted to run without the priest and take 3 more Advance Scouts instead. Lots of Thud Bug/Spit Poison might be more advantageous than the occasional +4/+10. If the JH really needs help hitting big targets, then I can always bring in Wicket via Lobot.

Post subject: Re: 200 Point Vong
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:46 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

i dunno Aaron, i think it looks pretty weak.

I'd say you have to try and fit in at least 2 purple people eaters just to make the Priest worth it. One and Yomin really doesn't give you enough reason to run Yomin or the priest.

The vong, like the sith, don't seem to be able to add a lot of variety in their builds. You pick a theme or 2 and stick with it, here you have 3 themes happening (spit, stealth and scarrification).

I would rather see a 2nd Vong JH over yomin. I'd also be tempted to leave teh Czerka for Lobots reinforcements and look to bring in more scouts for more bugs. I guess if you get more Scouts in you could get away with just one YVJH.

Either way the build is missing something. You have 2 strong shooters but not enough interference to protect them.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:05 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, I was thinking that after I posted it. Would be better off to just go with two Vong JHs instead of the Priest/Shaper. Nom won't be near enough or (hopefully) get hurt at all in order to use Scarification anyways.

I'm quite convinced that you almost have to have Yomin in the build no matter what you do though. Once an opponent has activated their pieces, that extra 10 damage from Spit Poison vs. Thud Bug is very brutal.

Just kicking around some thoughts, as I got massacred by a Vong build in Chicago last year, lol. Obviously, it didn't win, but it really caught me off guard. Just thought it might be fun to try.

How's this for a re-vamp:

54 Cad Bane
34 Nom Anor
27 Lobot
40 Yuuzhan Vong Jedi Hunter x2
19 Yomin Carr
18 Advance Scout x3
05 Caamasi Noble
03 Mouse Droid

As you said, Czerka can come in via Reinforcements if I want, along with 2 Ugos or maybe Ugo/Gran. Two JHs makes for potential 120 damage per round against Jedi vs. 80 with the JH/Priest. One more Scout for Bomb/Spit/Thud action. Could go with an R7 and more Scouts possibly instead of Lobot just to max out the Vong?

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:14 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

I like this a little better, Lobot can be more helpful with customization, than dropping him for activations.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:20 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

that looks much more what a optimized vong build looks like. The pill boxes (YVJH) need to be seen in at least pairs because they take so long to kill. You still have your guns an a variety of tech.

I would put an uggie over the mouse in the main build though. Mice are useful but uggies are required. Lockouts havn't gone anywhere.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:06 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

fingersandteeth wrote:
I would put an uggie over the mouse in the main build though. Mice are useful but uggies are required. Lockouts havn't gone anywhere.

Eh, I can, and usually will, bring in Uggies via Lobot. I usually figure that it's better to have the Mouse with the higher Def that actually counts for points, rather than the more easily killed Ugo. ;)