logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Ben Skywalker
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:00 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

After researching a little on Ben Skywalker, I have come up with what seems to me to be the perfect use for him as a mini. Ben Skywalker can be an Commander Assasinating mini.

In wookieepedia, it says Ben was not the most impresive combatant, but it says he made up for it with his cunning, and often performed well due to him being sly and catching others off guard. One time he even nearly injured Luke in a match by pretending to be hurt. He was also given an assassination mission which he successfully accomplished.

He learned to disappear in the force which was a rare force power, and a force power that we could make very effactive in terms of helping him get to commanders. It also says he was skilled at stealth and infiltration.

This is what I have come up with:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Ben Skywalker
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:15 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

I'm not sure I like Dissappear for how it's named and what it does, doesn't really seem to jive to me.

At this cost, he should at least have double, especially since you limited him to melee (not sure the GAG version of Ben should be).

Cunning Blow seems a lot like Final Shot, except no movement restriction and a bonus to attack. How about something directly related to characters with Commander Effects, since that is what you are going for...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:30 pm 
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle
One of the Sith on Malgus' Shuttle

I agree that he doesn't seem worth his points for what he does. I can understand his cost with a single attack (look at new Dengar and Zuckuss) but they all have much more HP than him. Give him 90 or so HP and he'll be much more playable. You can also give him Protective for any character named Mara which would be nifty.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:38 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

at a cost of 32 or in the 30ish range I'd like to see 80+ hps, or else he's just too fragil to keep in the game.

Disappear is an interesting ability, but when can you use it? On his turn? when hit by an attack?

However, canonically, being able to disappear in the force is not the same as disappear in person.

What if he had,
Small in the Force (1 Force point, usuable on character's turn. This character is not considered to have a force rating until the end of his next turn.)

I like Cunning Blow.. but it could also be called Final Blow to make it 'jive' more with dengar's version.. but that's not important. I'm fine with him only having one attack if that attack will more often be doing 50 damage than just 20.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:05 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I never really saw Ben as much of an Assassin though in the books. He killed one person in an 'assassination' style, and that was mostly because Jacen tricked him into it. And that was done with a blaster too, not a lightsaber, IIRC. If anything, your commander-assassinating idea would be better suited to Tahiri, IMO.

Overall though, ignoring who the piece is, I like the general idea. Instead of Disappear though, you might as well just go with Force Phase, and then add Wall Climber to his piece or something. That would effectively give you the same thing, without having to come up with a new ability. Plus, as Ruhk pointed out, Ben was decent at sneaking around, but hiding in the Force does not make you invisible to everyone, so I don't think it necessarily works from a theme standpoint either.

I definitely like the idea of Phase and Cunning (Final) Blow though. That could be handy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:33 am 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Here's one that I came up with a month or two ago for this three way Emperor-Apprentice-Jedi Battle we play in my group. I needed something to make using Darth Caedus as your Emperor appealing.

Ben Skywalker 25pts
HP: 60
Def: 19
Atk: 9
Damage: 20

Unique, Melee Attack, Double Attack
Force Ascetic
Blaster 30 (+11 for 30 Damage)

Force 1, FR 1
Dark Temptation
Force Cloak

CE: Characters whose name contains Galactic Alliance gain Bravado.

Obviously, for the grander scheme of incorporating all the minis, his name would more likely be "Lt. Ben Skywalker". I tried to capture him about midway through his GAG commission. Still not reliant on the Force, but willing to use Force Powers when necessary...mostly just to hide himself. I think it will provide a good jumping point for where you want to go with him...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:53 am 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

I like that custom of Ben Skywalker, and it resembles Ben Skywalker better. I really like my idea of having a highly mobile mini who is expert in taking out commanders or tempo controllers or other key pieces (which often have 50 HP or less). This would bring some more unique attributes to the New Republic, and is an overall fun concept to play around with.

Lobostele, the reason I did not want to just use Force Phase and wall climber is because this was supposed to be movement that did not use up this character's movement ability (ie: Disappear to 6 squares away, and either move 12 more or 6 more and attack). Hence, that is another reason I priced him the way I did. I think the force power is too powerful to only cost one force point, so if this ever became a real force power it would have to cost probably 3 force points.

With intuition, Disappear, and his movement, he could move 18 spaces getting past walls, locked doors, pits, etc and still attack. If he didn't attack, he could get 24 spaces.

I fixed a few things on the card:

I added force ascetic.
I recosted and reworded Disappear to make it more clear on the way it works.
I increased his Hit Points to 80.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:11 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Neat, so, he could intuition 6, then on his turn, Phase+Flight 6, move another 6 normally and then attack something at +14 for 50.. fun.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:30 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Ruhk wrote:
Neat, so, he could intuition 6, then on his turn, Phase+Flight 6, move another 6 normally and then attack something at +14 for 50.. fun.

That's what I was thinking. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:12 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Ruhk wrote:

could also technically levitate too

<(^^)> (>^^)> <(^^<) ^(^^)^
dance, kirby, dance.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:18 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

While you could loose 32 points just to kill General Dodonna or Rieeken, that might be enough to make your opponent loose enough of their squads gimmick to where you have the advantage. It also would prevent your opponent from saving their nearly dead beat to use one more time by swapping. Sinse you can get to most places they would likely swap to without too much problem. It would just be a good way to have a new furn twist for the game.

Now whether the New Republic, or another faction needs this more is another debate, but right now setting aside that I have these stats posted for Ben Skywalker (NR), I think it would just be lots of fun to get this type of a mini in the game for any mini or any faction. I'm not saying every faction should have one, only one faction, but I just simply don't care which faction or which mini.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:33 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Overkill for me.

Intuition + Dissapear= 6+6 beasty combo.
Not saying that it is bad- if we are to use Ben then increase his cost- so that Dengar HK wouldn't be useless.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:43 am 
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree his cost needs to be raised. Denger wouldn't be played and team him with ganner and you can just about get anywhere you need. Jacen/Caedus is the one who taught him dissapear in the force and I don't think this represents that ability. I personaly thought TCW had the best representation of him on your same post as the GAG leutenant.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:11 pm 
Sith Apprentice
Sith Apprentice

Dengar does not loose his playability because of this mini. Dengar is fringe, and Ben is NR. I am not arguing that Ben is priced right, but typically, the fringe version of any mini (in terms of stats) has a higher cost than the similar mini that is restricted to faction. Even with this mini priced where he is, Dengar would only loose usefulness in NR, but he would be just as useful in any other faction as he is now. He is also not usually in teir 1 sqauds as of this moment anyway.