Post subject: A Droid Army Lead by Jedi
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:10 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

R2-D2, Astromech Droid (Cost 9)
Kazdan Paratus (Cost 55)
Quinlan Vos, Infiltrator (Cost 34)
=98 points

How do you like the squad? Each person brings something interesting to squad. I KNOW the squad only has 3 activations, but reinforcements should be on the way. Kazdan Paratus has Immediate Droid Reserves 30 (If you roll exactly 5, 10, 15, or 20 for initiative, you can add up to 30 points of non-Unique Droid characters from any faction to your squad, adjacent to this character, immediately before your first activation of the round). When you combine this with Recon (which Quinlan Vos has), you can roll imitative twice per round when Vos has a line of sight on an enemy. That equals a 40% chance of have some Immediate Reserves enter the field. R2-D2 serves many purposes; he is unique so he can give Vos his famous momentum if he is defeated and he has Override and Tow Cable. Grant it, the squad will have to have some luck to pull it off- but with some luck this squad is really difficult to defeat.

Immediate Droid Reserves Ideas
Gonk Power Droid
BodyGuard Droid (60 Hp and Bodyguard could help keep Kazdan Paratus alive)
Super Battle Droid/Battle Droids
Destroyer Droid
A Dark Phrase Trooper
Dwarf Spider Droid
So what do you think?

http://swminisdatabase.proboards58.com/index.cgi

Last edited by Yoda of the Database on Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:21 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I'm not sure if I could answer one way or the other about whether the squad is good. For the most part, it's going to very dependent on what you bring in for reserves. I would seriously sit down, and play the squad against either Bane and 6 Ugos, or Boba BH, JWM, R2-Astromech. How it shapes up to those two is a good indication of whether it's good or not.

On paper, it looks like it could be quite good. The problem is, you probably need to get the reserves at least two times to bring in enough pieces to do the amount of damage that you'll need. Either Crab Droids or Destroyer Droids would probably be a decent choice, depending on the opponent's squad. The biggest issue I'm seeing right away though is just pure damage output. If you're facing Bane, he only needs 3 attacks to kill either Kazdan or Vos. So Bane will move up, and Lightsaber Throw one of them. Then, next round, one of them will likely be dead from a Lightsaber Assault (and remember, Bane can move 8 squares and still LS, because he doesn't really need to use Rage against these guys).

So, like I said....gonna be pretty dependent on your reserves. If you can manage to roll 5/10/15/20 on the first 3 rounds, you might be in good shape. Then, overall, if you're playing kill-em-all format, you'd have a decent chance.

If you're playing DCI format, I think it's a very slim chance of this being a good squad. Bane or Boba just have to go after your two Jedi, and then a couple of scrub Droids and easily reach the 100 point mark.

Unfortunately for Kazdan, I just don't think he's enough damage potential to be good in the 100 pt game. He's probably best left to the 150 and 200 pt games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:30 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

The squad is really gonna be dependent on luck. A 40% chance of getting reserves is pretty cool :)

Bane could eat Kazdan Paratus up alive, so you would have to play it safe. The good thing about the bane squad is that I believe none of the characters don't have melee attack, so you could stall for a couple turns giving the reserves a chance.

Would R2-D2 Astromech Droid be better than BoShek? He has Override and Tow Cable which could help to keep Kazdan Paratus. Kazdan does have two defensive Force Powers and Surpise Move which could help..

I'm trying to go against normal squads and come up with a new idea for a sqaud.. something different than Boba/Jango Fett, Grand Adrimal Thrawn, Mas, JWM, and Bane and Exar Kun..

Hey wait..so DC tournaments plays were you just have to kill a hundred 100 points.. Hmm not good for this squad :D... Do they ever play the kill-em-all format format? This squad won't have much of a chance if they just have to take down a hundred points...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:36 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Standard Scenario
Victory: At the end of a round, if at least one player has scored points equal to or in excess of the format point limit (100 or 200 points), the player with the most victory points wins. If both players meet this condition and have the same number of victory points, players play an additional round. The player with the most victory points at the end of the extra round wins. If the players are still have the same number of victory points, additional rounds are played until the tie is broken, or match time runs out (see Section 616).
There are two ways to score victory points:
1) Eliminate enemy models: points scored are equal to model cost
2) Occupy the map center: five points are scored each round that a player ends a round with a model within four squares of the center of the map; ignore low objects and walls when determining this area.

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!

Post subject: Re: A Droid Army Lead by Jedi
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:34 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Yoda of the Database wrote:
Gonk Power Droid (this character can just enter the field at the begining of the round and give Kazdan Paratus Triple)

Kazdan can't be gonked as he has Melee Atack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:20 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Yoda of the Database wrote:

Would R2-D2 Astromech Droid be better than BoShek? He has Override and Tow Cable which could help to keep Kazdan Paratus. Kazdan does have two defensive Force Powers and Surpise Move which could help..

R2 Astromech or "Doombot" should me included in pretty much every Republic squad. He's one of the best pieces in the game :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:03 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Ok, I'm replace him with R2-D2.

I forgot about the Gonk (and how he can't affect melee).. Thanks

I just read the rule book on Reserves, it says that they don't count towards your cost and the opponent doesn't have to defeat them to win the match.. This squad should still be able to hold up..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:56 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

No, Reinforcements do not count toward Victory points. Reserves DO. Big difference. Reinforcements are those brought in at the beginning of the game, like with Lobot or Wat Tambor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:08 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I just looked it up in the Rots rulebook and it says-

These characters don't count toward the cost of your squad and your opponent doesn't have to defeat them to win the skirmish.

So does this mean these characters count towards the victory points of the your enemies squad?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:19 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

That is correct.

your opponent gets points for defeating them. It is just that he doesn't have to if he doesn't want to.

She giveth, and she taketh away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:20 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

BTW, I think this looks like a fun and good squad. Is it a top squad? Only time will tell, but definitely worth running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:44 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I like this squad.. So in a DC tournaments they would just have to defeat a hundred points. Hmm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:46 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yup, DCI tournament rules state that you only have to gain as many Victory Points in order to equal the total number of points as the opponents team. So, if your squad only starts out as 98 points, then the opponent only has to gain 98 victory points, not 100.

Reinforcements brought in before the game actually starts (via Lobot, Wat Tambor, etc.) do NOT count toward victory points when they are defeated. Reserves DO, although I can understand why the glossary definition is a little bit confusing.

So, under DCI rules, your opponent could go after Kazdan, or he could go after an equivalent number of points in Droids. Or....if your opponent kills Kazdan and Vos, but leaves R2 alive, he would only need to kill 9 points worth of Droids to win the game. The worst possibity....if you only bring in one set of Reserves, and your opponent manages to kill them all, and manages to kill Kazdan and R2, then he only needs one round of Gambit (for 5 points) and he'll win the game...without even touching Vos!

So, you have to be really careful when playing with Reserves.

Now....in "Kill 'em all", which is typically what is played outside of DCI rules, Kazdan squads are going to be much tougher to beat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:36 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I made a squad people like :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:35 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I like the squad. Kazdan is one of my favorite rares in the set, and I really want to use him with junk golems. Good job.

http://www.swshoebox.com/userSquad.cfm?user=sirstevee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:23 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

the biggest problem with Kazdan is a little figure called, the Muun Tactics Broker!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:01 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I like the squad. If played right you can get a lot out of his droid reserves. It has a lot of potential.