logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:03 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Great catch on the Hoth Chewie + Rebel Leader combo. Unfortunately, using gunner requires (1) standing still in plain sight of a big enemy at the end of a round then hoping you win initiative, (2) standing adjacent to a juicy mounted weapon - not a good idea unless the mounted weapon can move away after it shoots, and (3) giving up your activation. I suppose the theory is that with 100 HP, and fairly pathetic offensive potential even with a Rebel Leader nearby, nobody's going to shoot at him.

He's interesting, and he's different, but I can think of better uses for 22 points. The list of "Chewies I will never play" just grew again. Oh well, that's one less VR for me to buy in this set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:00 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Yes Chewie is going to take damage but you have the new Mon Cal medic and 2-1B to heal him + medical droid and Han on taun-taun.
I do not think he is a good choice in 100 points but if like me you often play 300 points he has he's uses.
+ it's nice to have a Chewie that's different from the others, i am all for having the choice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:07 am 
General
General

billiv15 wrote:
emr131 wrote:
Jedi1972 wrote:
Chewie's one to show all those "Power Creep" doomsayers. lol

You deny that this chewie is better then the RS one? Closest in cost and yet this one has the exact same statline, deadeye instead of momentum, and industrial repair/gunner 10 instead of cleave.

Yes, I think that this chewie is better then the RS one, shows creep over it, and it underlies my general statement: RS-RotS statlines/cost suck compared to the the current ones. The 'price adjustment' that melee has undertaken should not have made this chewie better then the RS one.

How about Chewie of K? Do you think deadeye and a +1 to attack, 20 extra HP, and industrial repair/gunner 10 is worth the 3 less points compared to momentum and double? I think so.

RH is still superior but this chewie is 25% cheaper a figure. Comparing the two are like comparing the new Iggy to the Old... their prices are just too different to directly compare.

Thanks for proving you arent interested in a real discussion, just arguing a point and trying to be "right". You aren't. I highly doubt you even believe a word of what you just wrote. Stop trying to prove a point and just admit in this case, your point is dead wrong.

Ah, so you do not directly attack the argument but dismiss it? At least dismiss it by saying Chewbacca and Chewie of K were already worthless (which is my current stance on these issues by the way). This Chewbacca is just a further (unneeded) nail in RS's coffin. The pickin's are getting kind of slim in competitive pieces from RS especially those that are not commanders.

How about asking the question this way: Given the choice, would you rather have this Chewbacca, the RS one, or the RotS one? There are times when the RS Chewie is more useful (basically using him as another lightsaber), but I think there are more times that this one is useful.

And to use an argument against you guys: We have not seen a certain golan arms turret, and a tank droid yet, so really guys, claiming he is not as useful... you should wait and see!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:23 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
Gunner and Spotter don't work very well together. With Gunner you must be adjacent to the Mounted Weapon piece and Spotter requires you be within 6 squares of the target. Therefore the two can only be used if the target is adjacent to Chewie or the Mounted Weapon, in which case a Chewie with Momentum (RH again) would be much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:25 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

This Chewbacca is a "meh" to me.

It's not that he won't have his uses, but I'm more interested in ones that are not 'gimmicks', as in they are best used within a certain build or strategy. I like well-rounded figures I can use in any squad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:34 am 
General
General

R5Don4 wrote:
Gunner and Spotter don't work very well together. With Gunner you must be adjacent to the Mounted Weapon piece and Spotter requires you be within 6 squares of the target. Therefore the two can only be used if the target is adjacent to Chewie or the Mounted Weapon, in which case a Chewie with Momentum (RH again) would be much better.

I find myself in positions all the time where I can not benefit from *everything* a character has, but I can benefit from something it has. This to me is that kind of figure, it is similar to tossing missiles on Jango, who has sniper and double. Well, you will never be in a position to use everything he has, but sometimes the options are nice!

Note, I did not just compare Chewie with Jango, but I am comparing the ideas of separate abilities and synergy-like abilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:47 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Sithborg wrote:
Atgar doesn't have Mounted Weapon, so Gunner is worthless.

I don't think Gunner will be worthless. If you're talking specifically about the Atgar, then yes, but there are plenty of other Mounted Weapons available out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:56 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Location: Yes, I am yet another Canadian. Keeping the game alive on life support in the GTA.
emr131 wrote:
R5Don4 wrote:

I find myself in positions all the time where I can not benefit from *everything* a character has, but I can benefit from something it has. This to me is that kind of figure, it is similar to tossing missiles on Jango, who has sniper and double. Well, you will never be in a position to use everything he has, but sometimes the options are nice!

Note, I did not just compare Chewie with Jango, but I am comparing the ideas of separate abilities and synergy-like abilities.

Right. I was just pointing out the lack of synergy between the two abilities where people were wrongly under the impression that Spotter 20 could be translated as Gunner 20.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:50 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

No, but Gunner 10 and Spotter 20 will stack if the situation arises. Picture it this way. A few rounds into the game, the forces have closed in on each other. In one round, you run up some other piece. Then next round, you use K-3PO to swap Chewie for the other piece up front, which puts him within 6 of the target. Then you activate the Snowspeeder, move it up to be adjacent to Chewie, and fire at the target, combining with Chewie. Now, on the Speeder's first attack it would get a +12 attack for 50 damage! If the Rebel Leader happens to be within 6 squares of Chewie as well, then the Snowspeeder would get a +14 attack. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:13 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

This Chewie is horrible, no reason to play it over RH

Also, anyone else hoping we'd get the sculpt from when he and Han took out the probe droid?

With Ice on the fur.

This chewie looks like he was using Pantene, his coat is massive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:07 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
How about asking the question this way: Given the choice, would you rather have this Chewbacca, the RS one, or the RotS one? There are times when the RS Chewie is more useful (basically using him as another lightsaber), but I think there are more times that this one is useful.

If Chewie RH had never been made, I take Chewie (RS) over Chewie oH. He's more generally useful. Momentum/Cleave is just a great combo. The reason Chewie oH will see more play is because Chewie RH is also generally useful (supplanting RS's value) while Chewie oH has gimmicks that make him useful in situations where RH isn't and specialty squads can be built around him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:37 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Good observation Jason. Chewie RH, while not really power-creeping the RS Chewie, RH has the same abilities plus more, for only 6 points more. It's not too hard to work 6 extra points into your squad. I too think we'll see more of Hoth Chewie specifically for his unique set of SAs.

And Uliq....if you're running a squad of Mounted Weapon characters, of course you'd want Hoth Chewie rather than RH. Better repair and the option for combined fire with additional damage, for 8 points less. Sounds like a better deal to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:29 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

emr131 wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
emr131 wrote:
Jedi1972 wrote:
Chewie's one to show all those "Power Creep" doomsayers. lol

You deny that this chewie is better then the RS one? Closest in cost and yet this one has the exact same statline, deadeye instead of momentum, and industrial repair/gunner 10 instead of cleave.

Yes, I think that this chewie is better then the RS one, shows creep over it, and it underlies my general statement: RS-RotS statlines/cost suck compared to the the current ones. The 'price adjustment' that melee has undertaken should not have made this chewie better then the RS one.

How about Chewie of K? Do you think deadeye and a +1 to attack, 20 extra HP, and industrial repair/gunner 10 is worth the 3 less points compared to momentum and double? I think so.

RH is still superior but this chewie is 25% cheaper a figure. Comparing the two are like comparing the new Iggy to the Old... their prices are just too different to directly compare.

Thanks for proving you arent interested in a real discussion, just arguing a point and trying to be "right". You aren't. I highly doubt you even believe a word of what you just wrote. Stop trying to prove a point and just admit in this case, your point is dead wrong.

Ah, so you do not directly attack the argument but dismiss it? At least dismiss it by saying Chewbacca and Chewie of K were already worthless (which is my current stance on these issues by the way). This Chewbacca is just a further (unneeded) nail in RS's coffin. The pickin's are getting kind of slim in competitive pieces from RS especially those that are not commanders.

And to use an argument against you guys: We have not seen a certain golan arms turret, and a tank droid yet, so really guys, claiming he is not as useful... you should wait and see!

I was not taking sides in this argument. I have made my thoughts on power creep before and do not feel the need to argue over it again. I have always said power creep was happening but do not feel the need to bring it up every time a new set of stats are given out.

I said i was not saying you are right or wrong. That's not dismissing your statement. It's more how you put your statement across that was wrong. Not your point of view. As every ones point of view is valid. :)
No hard feeling i hope.

Last edited by dreadtech on Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:14 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Solodan wrote:
I think we are missing a key point:

If this chewie is betrays on an attack against palps, he can then repair and gunner the AT-ST wookie hunter!

That alone makes him amazing :)

Don't forget, with RotS emperor, you could pull in clone commander gree and thus pull in a horde of wookiee traitors (including WFFs) along with your wookiee hunter AT-ST.

Hurray for themed squads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:26 pm 
General
General

dreadtech wrote:
I was not taking side in this argument. I have made my thoughts on power creep before and do not feel the need to argue over it again. I have always said power creep was happening but do not feel the need to bring it up every time a new set of stats are given out.

I said i was not saying you are right or wrong. That's not dismissing your statement. It's more how you put your statement across that was wrong. Not your point of view. As every ones point of view is valid. :)
No hard feeling i hope.

Psst, I was specifically quoting and replying to Billiv :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:59 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

SonOfThrawn wrote:
Solodan wrote:
I think we are missing a key point:

If this chewie is betrays on an attack against palps, he can then repair and gunner the AT-ST wookie hunter!

That alone makes him amazing :)

Don't forget, with RotS emperor, you could pull in clone commander gree and thus pull in a horde of wookiee traitors (including WFFs) along with your wookiee hunter AT-ST.

Hurray for themed squads.

IT'S A TRAP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:35 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

emr131 wrote:

Psst, I was specifically quoting and replying to Billiv :).

And as far as I know, we were just having fun with one another. Thats a consistent problem on the internet. You cant even joke around with someone without a third party misinterpreting it as some kind of malice. I actually laughed when you made the comment about not comparing Chewy to Jango :) Thought that was a nice touch.

I tell you right now, I am not in the mood for any more people telling me how to post or some such. I see the same with Drew on WotC. Apparently sarcasm is no longer allowed or you deserve to be in jail...

Ill just say this once. Relax guys, this forum isnt WotC. For the most part we are a much smaller community of people many of which know one another. Please dont take any jabs thrown round as serious personal attacks or some kind of malice. Its all in fun. We are all really nice people in real life and like joking around.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:27 am 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

I think that the new Chewie was designed either with the Snowspeeder or Kazdan in mind. With Kazdan you're likely to take some droids such as the Viper (and hope to bring in the BDO). With Chewie you have someone to combine fire as well as repair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:10 am 
General
General

LoboStele wrote:
No, but Gunner 10 and Spotter 20 will stack if the situation arises. Picture it this way. A few rounds into the game, the forces have closed in on each other. In one round, you run up some other piece. Then next round, you use K-3PO to swap Chewie for the other piece up front, which puts him within 6 of the target. Then you activate the Snowspeeder, move it up to be adjacent to Chewie, and fire at the target, combining with Chewie. Now, on the Speeder's first attack it would get a +12 attack for 50 damage! If the Rebel Leader happens to be within 6 squares of Chewie as well, then the Snowspeeder would get a +14 attack. :D

I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, but what combo allows for stacking of Gunner 10 and Spotter 20? There are no Spotter pieces with Gunner to combine with a Mounted Weapon figure. Rebel Leader can grant Spotter 20 to Rebels, but the only figure with Gunner to benefit is... Chewie RH.

It is something worth thinking about in future though should we get more Rebel Gunners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:29 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Wedge772 wrote:
I'm not sure if I'm missing something here, but what combo allows for stacking of Gunner 10 and Spotter 20? There are no Spotter pieces with Gunner to combine with a Mounted Weapon figure. Rebel Leader can grant Spotter 20 to Rebels, but the only figure with Gunner to benefit is... Chewie RH.

It is something worth thinking about in future though should we get more Rebel Gunners.

Think he's talking about Chewie of Hoth. Move some other character within 6 of the target, then swap for Chewie, then move the snowspeeder adjacent to Chewie and combine fire.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next