logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Lord Hoth's CE
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:51 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Can you spend a Force Point while using Lord Hoth's CE to move 4 squares instead of 2?

This question came up last night at the LGS where I had Atton and Hoth, and after Hoth activated, I wanted to use his CE to move Atton. Moving Atton only 2 squares meant I could only Triple/Twin (Exile/Czerka help) on some troopers. With 4 squares of movement from Hoth, I could've Triple/Twinned my opponent's Darth Vader, Sith Apprentice and probably killed him. :)

We ruled that I couldn't spend the FP to do that, just because it would've completely hosed the game at that point, but I was thinking that I probably should've been allowed to do it.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Lord Hoth's CE
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here is all I can find from the glossary-

Force points

Certain characters can manipulate the Force to create special effects. These characters have a Force rating, a number of points that they can spend to use Force powers, to reroll any die roll (even a natural 1 on an attack), or to move 2 extra squares as part of a move. Once a Force point is spent, the character can’t spend it again during the skirmish.

I would say yes, according to this. It says a move which to me implies any move you make. I'll ask on Wizos and see if we can get a NickName answer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:11 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Clone Wars Rulebook wrote:
Move Faster: A character can spend 1 Force point to move 2 extra squares on its turn. This extra distance
is added onto the character’s regular move. Count Dooku, for example, can use this option to move 8
squares and attack or move 14 squares without attacking. He can’t, however, move 6 squares, attack, and
then spend 1 Force point to move another 2 squares.

FAQ wrote:
Move Faster
Q: When exactly does a character spend Force points to move an extra 2 squares? The timing could
be important if an enemy with Force Absorb or Force Defense wants to cancel this extra movement.
A: A character spends Force points to move faster immediately before the start of its movement. In
other words, it do?s not move 6 squares and then spend a Force point to move 2 more; before moving,
it spends a Force point to gain the ability to move 8 squares.

The rulebook explicitly states "on it's turn", but the FAQ is not clear. Good question... :?:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:17 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Until this question I have lately been using fp's on Kit Fisto's intuition. After looking up the answer to this question, I realized that I am wrong. According to the rulebook, as stated above, using a FP to move faster (or any Speed power) occurs on the characters turn.

As far as the faq and the glossary contradiction, I'm not really sure there is one, but still the precedent would be to go by the more restrictive of the two IOW, the glossary.

Now, it is possible that the intent would be to allow the use of move faster on Intuition and the like, and we have a simple copy and paste from earlier additions where movement outside your turn wasn't possible.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:51 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

force points can only be used on your turn for movement. end of turn is not during your turn so I would say No.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:42 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I thought you could use fps on intuition as well. Interesting. Will have to see wha nickname has to say.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:25 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/ ... #411146677

Nickname wrote:
Move Faster works on a character normal movement during its own turn. It's never been usable during the end of the character's turn (Leia Senator CE), pre-activations (Anticipation) nor during other character's turns (Tow Cable on a Jedi).

Off the top of my head, I think Lord Hoth's CE is end of turn, so it would be a no unless my memory is incorrect and it modifies the normal move the way say, General Kenobi or Master Speed does.