logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Cold Hearted Killers
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:42 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Here's my first thoughts on a Hoth squad. What do you all think?

--Cold Hearted Killers--
49 The Jedi Exile
44 Lord Hoth
27 Lobot
26 Atton Rand
36 Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo x2
13 Czerka Scientist
5 Caamasi Noble

(200pts. 8 activations)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/View.aspx?ID=82017

I started the squad initially with Wicket and an R7 in there plus more activations. Then it occurred to me, that I could use Lobot, and Hoth's CE would affect him, allowing me to pseudo-mobile doors. Then with Lobot, depending on my opponent, I could bring in Wicket if I wanted, more Override, perhaps an ASP-7 to Lift Atton in/out of firing position in conjunction with Hoth's CE. I suspect my reinforcements would most often by Human BG and 3 Ugos.

Atton and the Vigos make for nice counter-parts on both ends of the round. If your opponent has a low activation squad (like GMLS or something), could even bring in a 3rd TBSV with Lobot if you want. :)

Post subject: Re: Cold Hearted Killers
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:30 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Ive been trying to build around Hoth and Cay and have yet to come up with a build that i like. First impression on yours is that it is lacking, but i honestly cant say what. maybe its that it doesnt have anything uber like the other factions. I cant put my finger on what it is. I am not really sold on atton. His attack is so low. Granted he can get jedi hunter more times than not now, but its so easy to block since he doesnt have accurate. I would probably drop him for more activations or better beef. I know you have lobot, but using more activations instead of atton would free up what you could do with lobots reinforcements. Like i said i just cant get a good build out of OR excet for the Revan/Mira build i had.

Check us out over at Pojo.com

"It appears the Bothans have rooked us again."
-Obi wan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:32 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

I will show you mine when bloo is back up. But basically it is something like:
Cay
Hoth
Exile
Atton
Dash
Lobot

It works surprisingly well and it's tier 1 at 200.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:02 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

billiv15 wrote:
Cay
Hoth
Exile
Atton
Dash
Lobot

I'd be interested to see this squad Bill, as I was not able to fit Atton into mine and make it work.
Copied from Bloomilk:

49 The Jedi Exile
44 Lord Hoth
28 Cay Qel-Droma
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
16 Juggernaut War Droid
15 Lobot, Computer Liaison Officer
8 Wicket
12 Mouse Droid x4

(200pts. 11 activations)

Even taking out the JWD and wicket still leaves me two points shy, and weaker on door control.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:08 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

billiv15 wrote:
Cay - 28
Hoth - 44
Exile - 49
Atton - 26
Dash - 28
Lobot - 27

That adds up to 202 points, doesn't it? Unless you mean CLObot, in which case I can't see the squad working in a particularly high number of activations.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:50 am 

Sorry, was doing it from memory. Here's the two I mad a while ago.

--Atton of Hoth--
49 The Jedi Exile
44 Lord Hoth
28 Cay Qel-Droma
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
26 Atton Rand
8 R7 Astromech Droid
6 Mouse Droid x2
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

(198pts. 11 activations)

--Atton of Hoth 2--
49 The Jedi Exile
44 Lord Hoth
28 Cay Qel-Droma
27 Lobot
26 Atton Rand
18 Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo
3 Mouse Droid
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

Preferred Reinforcements:
(Lobot) 13 Czerka Scientist
(Lobot) 3 Mouse Droid
(Lobot) 3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(198pts. 11 activations)

I had the two semi confused :) But the idea is the same basically. Dash and Atton or TBSV and Atton balance each other, and Cay runs early interference, with Hoth and Exile cleaing up.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:39 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Only got to play 2 games at the LGS last night as we were sort of taking these easy and just hanging out. But I won both with this squad above.

First game was against an Imperial squad with new 501st Vader, Mith'rawn, two 501st Legion Clone Commanders, 2 501st Stormtroopers, a Felucian Officer, Tarkin, R7, and filler. I managed to win the game, but it was a close one. We weren't keeping a real close eye on the time, so I think I would have won due to time running out a round or two earlier. The game at the end came down to his Mas Amedda needing to roll a 17 or higher to kill the last 10 HP on my Exile. I made a sort of dumb move in the first round and Atton ended up taking 40 off the bat from a 501st Legion Clone. I got lucky enough for Hoth to stay alive 1 extra round as well when Vader failed both his Djem So rolls, leaving Hoth with 20 HP. I ran with Wicket and activations for this game, but I think I would've been better off with the Human BG. Hard to say for sure. I really had trouble with positioning Atton this game though, and I could've completely killed Vader in the 2nd round, but we weren't sure if I could spend a FP to move 2 extra squares during the movement from Hoth's CE. So, we played that I couldn't. I'll ask in the rules forum, but I still think I could've done that, which would've changed the entire game right off the bat. Either way, I ended up pulling it off.

The 2nd game was against a Rebel build with Loda, Han Smug, Rieekan, Crix, 2 ERCs, Princess Leia, CLobot, and filler. No Dodonna, which really helped me. He took a bit of a risk in the first round to have Luke go grab gambit. We were playing on Bespin and he started out on the platform, so Luke was right next to the door. Atton put 40 on him in that round. Then, he didn't bother to move Luke when he won init for the following round, so I got to open the door that had been Overridden closed, and Atton unloaded on Luke, putting another 80 on him, leaving him with only 30 left. So that pretty much took him out of the game. Then, he made a crucial error later and let me get easy, clean LOS on Rieekan, and a TBSV took him down. From there it wasn't too tough to clean up. I ended up using Hoth and the Exile to basically chase down Luke before he could gain too many more Force points, while Atton and the TBSV harassed pieces from the back. The Stealth vs. my non-Accurate was frustrating, and knowing that Luke could easily kill a TBSV from 12 away made me cautious. But I think using Hoth and the Exile as interference pieces, even though they ended up under Disruptive, it worked out quite well.

I like the ideas with Cay, but I'm just not sure he would do enough damage before dying. Compared to the 10-point cheaper TBSV especially. I may have to try that variant though. Bill, I like your 2nd suggestion there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:08 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

well with cay if he can get a 2 assaults in your good. You kind of want him to die with Cay's Legacy and with Hoth getting twin. Him Having Cay's Legacy means a lot of the time your opponent doesnt want to kill him so he stays around a round later than he should so they can kill him with a non-unique. I dont know why I am telling you all of this you know all of this. I think Cay is worth his points most of time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:12 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

jonnyb815 wrote:
I dont know why I am telling you all of this you know all of this.

Hahaha :lol:

Yeah, I can definitely see that. Will have to try Bill's variant there with Cay, Atton, and the TBSV I think.

Actually, that was one of the other things I was sort of complaining about last night after the 2 games that I didn't like about the squad the way I had built it. In my build in the OP, I really only was using Hoth's CE to help move Atton or Lobot. It would be nice to have another piece or two to benefit from the CE to keep opponent's on their toes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:37 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Does no one like the Jedi Instructor? I liked the Czerka+Atton+Instuctor. You get the big damage Twin and then Mobile back in times when 2 squares isn't enough.

Plus, Hoth can Twin (after a Unique dies) and then Mobile back and Cay can Assault-Mobile.

Maybe I'm trying to do too much with too little but I kinda liked those combos.