logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Match Play Championship brainstorm
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:16 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Okay, one of the biggest successes in SWCCG post Decipher is the Match Play Championships, or MPC. 2 years in a row, it has filled up to it's 64 player max registration. And keep in mind, this is during winter/spring, not at a major con. It has sort of been rattling off in my head for a while now, on how to incorporate such a tournament into SWM. Given the success of the Marmalade Dog Ironman, I have renewed interest.

Basically, the MPC is a ranked tournament, which is why pre registration is vital to such a tournament. It also uses single elimination method vs swiss. The biggest issue is trying to find a fair way to do the matches. In SWCCG, you play 2 decks, and in the MPC, a round is essentially 2 games, with each of the different decks. The idea is to play the 2 decks to get a more fair assessment of who won. With SWM, and the inherent issue with dice, is there a way to do it and not just be a repeat? Play 2 games with the same squads, but change map and side choice in the second game? Just play a longer game? Bring 2 different squads?

Just brainstorming, and essentially gauging interest. Like I said, it has been perhaps the biggest successes of the SWCCG PC, and it would be neat to translate it to SWM.

Post subject: Re: Match Play Championship brainstorm
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:21 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

If you only bring 2 decks, and you play 2 games, 1 game with each deck, how do you determine the winner if they split the wins on the 2 games?

I believe Magic is somewhat similar where a 'Match' consists of 3 games. I think something like this for SMWs would be fun, but it would take a TON of time. For a 64 player tournament, you'd be looking at a minimum of 13 hours for an event like that. 64 players would dictate 6 total rounds, and if you have 2 games per match, that's 12 games per player (well, for whoever ends up at the top). If it's single elim, then obviously not everyone will be involved for those 12 hours, but still, it makes for a long event.

Still, I'd like to know how a 2 game match works, rather than a best-out-of-3 scenario.

Could make for an interesting Vassal tournament perhaps, where playing 3 matches against the same player wouldn't be quite so difficult perhaps.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:25 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Well, I think the simplest way would be to have each player bring two squads, 1 Lightside (OR, Rebels, NR, Republic) and 1 Darkside (Sith, Seps, Imps). I imagine we would have to come up with another term so as to avoid mix faction confusion and likely need to pigeonhole Mandos and Vong in somewhere. As far as the setup, I suppose it could still be done with one dice roll: winner chooses squads, loser map, and winner sides with it reversing in the second game for map and sides.

Calculating the overall winner of both matches could be challenging. Obviously, if one player wins both matches then its a no brainer. Otherwise you would be stuck calculating the point differences from each game. So player A wins 200-100 in game 1 and Player B wins 204-99 in game 2, Player B would be the winner.

With the latter I think you may end up with a whole mess of problems ie. concessions, point padding etc and thus what would make the system so challenging.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:26 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Yeah, that's another thing SWCCG has that SWM doesn't: differential. A lot easier to keep track of than in SWM as well.

And the length is why it is a 2 day event in SWCCG. One game would have to do it for a single day event, I think. And obviously, there would be stuff for those first eliminated.

And hey, another fun thing that the SWCCG crowd loves is: brackets.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:39 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

well a round in SWCCG was one dark game and one light now you just play the same person from what I am seeing. I would love to get back into SWCCG but I just dont know whats good anymore and I think its gone past me. Scott we need to get together and play some games at Gencon. I still have my outdated dark deal and Hidden Base decks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:58 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

This reminds me of the Gamers' Vassal Tourneys that we used to have. The format:
-Each player builds 2 squads: 1 from a Darkside faction and 1 from a Lightside faction, with a map chosen for each squad, as usual.
-Players make an initial roll, with the higher roller choosing the matchup (my Rebs vs your Imps, or my Vong vs your NR?)
-Loser of the roll wins the map roll, and the other guy then wins the side roll

In the GVT, we only played 1 match per pairing, but if memory serves, I think the final was decided by both matchups being played (LS/DS and then DS/LS), with the points-differential being the determining factor of the winner. [By the way, fingersandteeth won it for the TFU GVT.]

I thought that the LS/DS dynamic was a lot of fun, and it added a whole new element of strategy and creativity to the squadbuilding process. If something like this happened, either on Vassal or at a LGS, I think it could be a lot of fun. That way you're not necessarily stuck with the same squad for the whole tournament. It would be easy to implement in any Vassal or LGS tourney; just make sure people know to come prepared with 2 squads (each with accompanying maps), both of which are likely to be used during the tourney.

As for playing both games in a single pairing, I'm with Lobo: it sounds like a lot of fun, but it would be LONG. That's not to say I wouldn't play it (I certainly would!), but rather that you could face some logistical problems requiring some creativity.