logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Low-Cost Ideas
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:48 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

swinefeld wrote:
Ah, gotcha. If you can blow the door and then shoot past it at something else, then you can ignore it unless you need to take it out to lower opposing activations. "Does not count as the nearest enemy" or something along those lines.

Then as others have also mentioned, something to limit how many you can have in a squad to prevent activation abuse and it could be a very useful piece to field without breaking things. :)

I went back and changed it. I also changed it so that it can be defeated simply by landing on it, so that you don't have to waste an activation to defeat it. Now it's not a blocker at all - doesn't block movement, shooters, and doesn't even stop anyone from landing on a space.

Pretty weak, but for 2 points it should be pretty weak.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:51 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Just step on it. I like that. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:52 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

A good way to limit the number that could be in your squad...

"Character must be placed adjacent to a door at the start of the skirmish, and no more than one character with the same name as this character may be adjacent to the same door. If this character is not able to be placed adjacent to a door, then it is immediately defeated and your opponent scores the victory points."

That would keep the numbers down. Somebody might bring a map like Train Station and intend to use like 10 of them, but then get stuck on something like Rancor Pit or Death Star, where there are very few doors. You'd never want to field more than 2-3 of them at most, for fear of automatically losing points to your opponent.

Also, just to head off the idea, Reinforcements have to be decided BEFORE the map roll is made, so people might try to skirt the idea that way, but they might still get hosed if their opponent is running a map with very few doors.

Granted, if these are still 2 points, there's certainly still some possible abuse there. I would almost consider costing them at 3 just to make them a different option than the Ugos. I tend to agree with Engineer a bit here, in that if we start making 2 point pieces, then why not just make 1 point pieces. I know the 199 or 198 squads irritate some people, but that's part of the skill of squad building: when to decide if those wasted points are worth it or not.

Besides, I think you'll see less and less people running hordes of Ugos/Mice in most squads with the new DCI Gambit rules requiring a 5 point piece to earn the gambit points.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:59 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

swinefeld wrote:
Then as others have also mentioned, something to limit how many you can have in a squad to prevent activation abuse and it could be a very useful piece to field without breaking things. :)

I like LoboSteele's solution above. I'm going to include it in the OP.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:49 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

LoboStele wrote:
I agree that if it's a 2 point piece, it ought to be Unique, solely for the purpose of filling out a squad's last 2 points. Something like Salacious would be great....IF WOTC had given us a piece that would be good for a custom of it. As far as Vsets go, I think it'll be tough to do Salacious Crumb, as we really don't have a good piece to use as a substitute.

what about this? Lolthbound Goblin http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/mg/dw or Kobold Archer http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/mg/dxd or Kobold [url]Monk http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/mg/bw[/url] all of these pieces are C or UC from D&D they might be something that Crumb could be based off of.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:22 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

The problem with low cost characters that are shooters is that there attack value is far to easy to increase. If OR or Vong have more low cost Shooters then it would probably mean they cannot get good commanders later on. Low cost characters are fun but you have to be careful how many you have in the game. Something to think about before you ask for too many low-cost characters. Plus i already think melee characters have a hard time as it is.

As for more melee low cost characters i think we have enough already without having more with additional special abilities.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:15 pm 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

sabulba could be your 2 point unique figure. you could use the dug fringer

Post subject: Re: Low-Cost Ideas - how about this?
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:08 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Crate
Cost: 1
HP: 10
Def: 8
Atk: -
Dam: -

Special abilities:
Non-living
Movable Emplacement: This character cannot move on its own nor change position through effects such as swap. This character is subject to effects which cause it to move, such as Lift and Force Push. This character can be set up anywhere on your half of the board at initial setup. This character cannot be activated, and cannot gain points if gambit rules are used. This character is not considered the closest target when determining a valid target. It is considered a character for determining cover.

Breakable: If this character is moved into a square containing another character, that character takes 10 damage, save 11. If the opposing character made its save, the crate stops in a square adjacent to the target selected by the character moving the crate. If the opposing character fails its save, this character is defeated. If this character is subject to a Force Whirlwind attack, all other character affected by the same attack take +10 damage if they fail their save.

Essentially, a breakable piece to throw around. There are tons of 3D paper models that could be folded up and used.

Basic Studies: 397/540 [RS:51/60, CS:41/60, SITH:47/60, UNV:46/60, COTF:54/60, BH:51/60, AE:51/60, FU:51/60, LF:51/60]
Advanced: 47/102 [ATAT:1/1, ENDOR:4/4, R&I:5/24, SS2007:6/6, HBP:17/17; PROMOS 14/60]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:53 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Human Civilain

cost 2
hitpoints 10
defense 7
attack 0
damage 0

special abilities
Civilian
speed 4
Coward(at the start of the round, if this character has LOS to an enemy it is considered activated)
Huddle(this character must end it move next to an allied civilian if it can)

hopfully the huddle SA would help with the over stocking of cheap civilians :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:43 pm 
Moff Disra
Moff Disra

coffeebean wrote:
Human Civilain

cost 2
hitpoints 10
defense 7
attack 0
damage 0

special abilities
Civilian
speed 4
Coward(at the start of the round, if this character has LOS to an enemy it is considered activated)
Huddle(this character must end it move next to an allied civilian if it can)

hopfully the huddle SA would help with the over stocking of cheap civilians :)

I don't see how adding cheap activations to the game will help.