logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Re: Lobbin' Ganner
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:49 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

If you aren't using Wedge however, I can totally see using Kyle CI with Ganner. In fact I see no reason to go to KJB in that case. And evade isn't totally necessary with Levitate either, so there's a build there I believe, and it likely includes Shado and Leia.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:13 am 
General
General

Another thought for the squads running Ganner/Dash/Jagged, you could even put in a R4 or Treadwell as well to further boost Dash's attacks. You can Levitate out the R4, put Targeting on the enemy, then move back out of LOS. Another handy little boost without needing to put any pieces into LOS for return fire, which works well combined with mobile attackers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:56 am 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Targetting happens at the end of a turn, so you can't hide afterwards. Though in some cases a good Targetting would be handy.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:35 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

So in that case, you run the R5 out and target, and THEN you use Ganner to levitate him out of LOS. That would work fine. It works the same way with Lobot and override and swaps. End-of-turn effects are often fun to use with movement breakers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:53 am 
General
General

Ruhk wrote:
Targetting happens at the end of a turn, so you can't hide afterwards. Though in some cases a good Targetting would be handy.

Are you sure about that? I'm looking at the ability now, it doesn't say anything about end of turn. It uses the words "target enemy", which I always interpreted as effectively replaces attacks. The idea works either way, but I just want to clear that up. Maybe I missed something in the rules insert.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:15 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Wedge772 wrote:
Ruhk wrote:

Are you sure about that? I'm looking at the ability now, it doesn't say anything about end of turn. It uses the words "target enemy", which I always interpreted as effectively replaces attacks. The idea works either way, but I just want to clear that up. Maybe I missed something in the rules insert.

its not even replaces attacks.

You just activate targetting at some time on your turn, so you can move 12 and do it, or do it and move 12.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:28 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

It's considered a 'zero time ability' (which is how I've seen NickName describe things like this in the past), similar to Force Stun which says "usable on this character's turn". Because of that, you can only use Targetting before or after your move, but not during it, unless Droids somehow get access to Mobile at some point (heaven forbid, lol).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:37 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

fingersandteeth wrote:
the other reason Kyle JBM is better is because you can give him evade.

I agree, JBM is stronger vs. shooters, except that as others have pointed out, Republic melee are huge these days. I think joelker has the right idea (though I would never never include Lobot in a build that doesn't also include Wedge; Might as well just consider your opponent starting the game with a 27 pt. handicap if you do).

Plus, most people are learning how to base their opponents' pieces to negate Evade, which makes CI that much more important against Rebel shooter builds (Han notwithstanding). I would probably go something like:

50 Han Solo, GH
46 Kyle, Combat Instructor
45 Mara Jade, Jedi
38 Kol Skywalker
29 Ganner
09 General Dodonna
09 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
08 R7 Astromech
06 Mouse Droid x2

Two shooters who can deal some early damage, and then when the enemy closes the gap, the melee options rush up. I'd like to fit Wedge in here, but the only option I see to do that is to drop Kol and an Ug and run Wedge and a Twilek Scoundrel. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Jason Alvey ran a Shado Vao NR build and had terrible luck with it a couple of weeks ago in Carbondale, but I don't know what all he faced.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:45 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Boris are we playing +200 points now???heheheheh
is Kol the beat that shouldnt be in there? it looks like your around 30+over?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:07 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
50 Han Solo, GH
46 Kyle, Combat Instructor
45 Mara Jade, Jedi
38 Kol Skywalker
29 Ganner
09 General Dodonna
09 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
08 R7 Astromech
06 Mouse Droid x2

If you're going to go along that route (which, yeah, adds up to 250 :P), then you might want to consider Leia Skywalker. Let Kol/Kyle/Mara reroll their block saves, and Han gets to reroll his Evades.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:20 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Whoops, I originally had Luke FS and dropped it, and forgot to add Han when I was adding up the total. It's 240, so dump Kol and a Mouse Droid and add a Camaasi Noble, that should get it. Too many work distractions, what can I say? :)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:25 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LOL Dennis. Adding the Caamasi back in would put it at 204. Kol + MD = 41 points.

As I said above, I think Leia would add GREATLY to that squad by giving Han/Kyle/Mara the ability to re-roll their saves without FPs. The only way to do that though, would be to drop Ganner, which I'm not sure if that thrills me either. I'm thinking, that with Ganner in there, you probably don't need Leia's re-rolls, because Han's got GMA, and Ganner can keep either Mara/Kyle safe as needed.

I like the build overall. Will have to suggest it to James, as we were looking at some NR options for him last week at the LGS, and this is one that I think he'd really like.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:37 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
LOL Dennis. Adding the Caamasi back in would put it at 204. Kol + MD = 41 points.

As I said above, I think Leia would add GREATLY to that squad by giving Han/Kyle/Mara the ability to re-roll their saves without FPs. The only way to do that though, would be to drop Ganner, which I'm not sure if that thrills me either. I'm thinking, that with Ganner in there, you probably don't need Leia's re-rolls, because Han's got GMA, and Ganner can keep either Mara/Kyle safe as needed.

I like the build overall. Will have to suggest it to James, as we were looking at some NR options for him last week at the LGS, and this is one that I think he'd really like.

Eh, good thing I don't use this calculator when I build ACTUAL squads. :P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:08 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Here's an idea that's totally different from some of the others ones being tossed around (no pun intended, lol). Sparked by Boris' inclusion of Han and Deri's insistence lately that Han/Leia in NR is a viable combo.

Han GH
Mara Jedi
Ganner
Lobot
Leia Skywalker
Dodonna
Ugo x3
Mouse Droid x2

200 Points, 11 Activations

Now you can run this with an MTB engine. MTB + Gonk for Reinforcements gives you 12 (13-1) activations to start with, which isn't too bad. Can also go MTB + 4 activations for 9ish rounds of init control, which would probably be enough, that is, if you want to be that brave with your fodder activations. I might be partially tempted to go with Kol/Kyp/Luke FS rather than Mara/Lobot perhaps, because without Mara, you wouldn't need the MTB option so much.

I'm actually really impressed at all the different ways we can utilize Ganner. GMLS vs. Kyle JBM vs. Han/Leia type builds are all fairly different, and will have to played with vastly different strategies. I like it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:47 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

you can't put Leia in that build Aaron.

13 activations is no way to run an MTB with all the large activation rebel squads going. If you want the option of the MTB then you take out Leia. She only benefits Han there anyway. At 200 points you really need to get more than just one fig out of her CE which mean adding wedge in place of Han or adding in other evaders in place of Mara.

Its very easy to get redundancy in NR squads (i.e. giving evade when you already have it) or not getting your milage out of every synergy you have. Thats what makes the faction difficult to build to make them completely top tier. You need to squeeze every point out of every fig avoiding redundancies.

In this meta i don't think i'd go MTB unless i can squeeze at least 17-20 activations just so you can go last and then 1st which is what your aiming for.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:54 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, I hear ya. That's why I was thinking about going with Kol instead of Mara to get a little more mileage out of Leia's CE. Or possibly Kol and Dash somehow instead of Mara/Lobot. Like I said (and you pointed out too), it's one of the neat things about the NR right now. There's a lot of really interesting options, and it can be a real challenge to fully squeeze all the potential you can out of every piece in your squad.