logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next

Post subject: Dawn of Defiance PBP/Vassel Game (Closing Comments))
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:47 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Game Master
Who's running this game, anyhow?

Hello, I'll be your GM for this campaign. I'm going to run this pre-created adventure as my first foray into the world of SAGA GMing. I am an experienced GM starting with the West End Games D6 game then migrating to Wizards of the Coast's D20 game. I have some history with Play-by-Post gaming and using Vassal, which means I can respect that not everyone can post all day and that getting a group together to play can be difficult.

Play-by-post (PbP)
Since this site does not traditionally use this style, play-by-post games are usually written in the third person perspective. This allows the players (and gamemasters) to write in the personas of their characters. This is the best way to separate the player character from the person playing the character (the typist), and it makes the game more readable.

The first message posted onto a thread establishes the scenario, starting a story about their character. The thread then becomes an ongoing story in which players periodically advance the plot by reading the latest reply and then typing what their character does and how the environment changes in response. These replies are often open-ended so that other players can continue.

For this this game the non-combat sections will be handled utilizing PbP giving the players a chance to role play and develop there characters and the group dynamic. Each player will be required to post once every 24 hours to keep the game moving, or contact me via E-mail, PM, or the Game Forum tolet me know in advance your absence. If you do not post in the allotted time 50xp will be deducted from your character (this will never reduce the characters level). If I fail to post in the 24 hour window all characters will receive 50xp.

Vassal
Most people here are familiar with Vassal, but for thoroughness: Vassal is a game engine for building and playing online adaptations of board games and card games. Played live on the Internet or by email. Vassal runs on all platforms utilizing Java, and is free, open-source software.

We will also be utilizing this program and Skype on a scheduled basis to play combat live. I will do my best to set a time that works for all involved. The combination of these two programs creates a more 'around the table' gaming experience.

Programs/Web log-ins needed

Game Explanation
What's the premise of the story? What will be the mood/attitude/play-style of the game?

Dawn of Defiance is a Star Wars Roleplaying Game Saga Edition campaign set in the tumultuous period between Episodes III and IV. It consists of 10 linked adventures. These adventures are designed to take characters from 1st level to 20th level. Along the way, they'll become embroiled in the battle against the newly-formed Galactic Empire and will have the chance to strike decisive blows as they encourage rebellion. (We will be beginning at 3rd level part way into the story.)

Current Players:
For this game there are openings for 4 to 6 players. Beginners Welcome.
  • Jester007 playing Cander Forte
  • obikenobi1 playing Nuhaatyc
  • spacemanspiff playing Avran Jenko
  • Jedi_Master playing Dorian Evern
  • sweeteyes55 playing Elanor Evern
  • jonnyb815 playing Skad

Character Creation
What are the rules being used for making characters?
  • My house rules will be in effect (see below).
  • Other materials may be allowed on a case-by-case basis.
  • Characters begin play at 3rd level with 30 points for ability scores and maximum first level credits plus (level x (level-1)) x 2000 credits plus cumulative bonuses from the Wealth talent, if applicable.
  • Heroes receive hit points equal to 80% of their class’s die type (rounded to the nearest HP) upon gaining a new level
  • You may choose any species in the core rulebook, with the exception of Ewoks, which are not available for play. The Devaronian species is available for play by downloading the web enhancement. Species from all other books except Legacy Era Campaign Guide, Rebellion Era Campain Guide, The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide, and The Unknown Regions are allowed.
  • While walking the balance between darkness and light might be an interesting character concept, the campaign does not abide characters that fall completely to the dark side. The following character options are not available: Sith Apprentice, Sith Master.
  • Droid characters use Option 1: Playing a Custom Droid presented on page 186 of the core rulebook. You cannot play a standard droid model in the campaign. Droids have 25 points for ability scores.
  • All heroic classes in the core rulebook are available for play, although due to the Galactic Empire's merciless policy towards Jedi, Force-using characters should be careful where they display their powers.
  • All equipment with a military or illegal rating is available for purchase on the black market (base cost x4 for military and x5 for illegal), with the following exceptions: heavy blaster pistol and hold-out blaster pistol can be purchased legally. Black market items do not come with permits. Forged permits can be obtained also for the black market price at character creation. You must pay the additional license fee for any available equipment that has a Licensed or Restriction rating (see page 118 of the core rulebook). At character creation you need not make any skill checks to obtain an available item with a restriction rating; simply pay the additional license fee, and the item's all yours. Also any equipment from the Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide is considered Rare and you must pay the increased price. Equipment from the following books will be allowed on a case by case basis because of game era: Legacy Era Campaign Guide, Rebellion Era Campain Guide, The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide, and The Unknown Regions.
  • Vehicles in the campaign use the same purchasing rules as other equipment. All military and illegal vehicles are unavailable for purchase, as well as the droid starfighter and droid tri-fighter.
  • When you create your character, you may choose a destiny from the following list presented under Sample Destinies on page 113 of the core rulebook: destruction, discovery, or rescue. No other destinies are available.
  • The Force rules present in the core rulebook are used, with the following exceptions: You may not reduce your Dark Side Score in any manner; thus increases of the Dark Side Score are permanent. If your character collects 7 dark side point it falls to the dark side, treat this result as a character death.

Backgrounds
A background story is optional for beginning characters, but if supplied will grant bonus XP. If you do choose to wright a background please included: Why your character views the newly formed Empire as a threat and Enemy, and why you are willing to fight against it (both openly and covertly). Please note that not all hero's are are idealistic freedom fighters; smugglers, bounty hunters, and free traders have just as much to gain from weakening the Empire.

Thread Links
Character Stats
Dawn of Defiance: A Wretched Hive

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by TreebeardTheEnt on Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 28 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Dawn of Defiance PBP/Vassel Game
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:13 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

TreebeardTheEnt wrote:

[*]Characters begin play at 1st level with 30 points for ability scores and maximum credits.
[*]Characters begin the game at level 4.

?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:49 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

wait so we can only use the core book?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:36 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I was trying to post the game as my daughter was getting up after I put put her to bed. I will correct the original post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:23 am 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I'd like to join in on this campaign. Is there going to be a thread soon for posting characters?

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:50 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I was not going to start one till I had 4 players. So far you and Jonny have expressed interest.

[edit] Also, this game is not combat focused. Language selection and non-combat skills, talents and feats will be important. That being said the hero's will still be fighting.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:12 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Ok, I updated the first post to include more information. If you are interested in playing please pose in this thread and we will do character creation as an open group build once we have at least four players.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:58 pm 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

I'm game. I would like to play as either a Wookie Scout or some sort of Noble/Scoundrel mix.

Sincerely,
Jester007

Punting jawas may be bad, but its just so FUN!!

Post subject: Re: Dawn of Defiance PBP/Vassel Game (2 to 4 players needed)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:01 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Ill play looking at playing a Solider/Scoundrel dont have a clue what species yet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:55 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

At Jonny's request I am making items that are Military or Illegal available through the black market. These items will not have the required permits, so if you are searched by governing agencies they will be subject to confiscation. If you wish you, can obtain a forged permit, also for the black market price. Talents such as Connections do reduce these cost.

I have updated the OP.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:28 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I'd like to play, if you would allow a Jedi healer of the same build as the Dark Times RPG. If that dosent work out I guess I could put together another Jedi (once again one that is difficult to tell he's one).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:32 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

You are more than welcome to play. Let me look at the tradition he is part of and get back to you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:51 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

Im thinking I'll try and run a soldier this time around who excels at melee weapon combat. I've never tried a soldier before, and he won't be that skill heavy so hopefully someone else is a noble/scout.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:22 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Three ideas

Smuggler,Near Human thats light blue thats pretty (this is the build i hate the most but its more that i have no clue where she is going for combat)

Ill have gather info,deception,Persuasion maybe mech or use the computer so ill have some skills. Ill have a few non combat feats/talents for bribing.

I dont have a no clue were the character is going for combat other than I want to be mobile. I have thrown around dart/pistol stun weapons with the art of concealment tree,poison shooter the talent tree in threats,mobile sneak attacker with rapid shot,Melee attacker that uses poison,Some type of area weapon,Maybe go with some force stuff but i will not be a jedi, then last DWM
Are there any good Scoundrel or solider persuasion talents?

2a
or a wookiee Scout that uses a bow caster that moves around alot
movement breakers (pathfinder at level 8 or prudent Escape )
might take Quick on your feet for some extra movement
pilot,Use computer,mech,init are the main skills
(i like this idea a lot)

2b
or a melee noble/jedi that uses Noble Fencing(maybe lightsaber) would use some other type of light weapon I think. I would use surge,battle strike,and move object. Question are we going to go up against people with dark side scores?
I would like to start out as a Jedi so I can get hps since I am melee but if we need the skills I could go Noble?

It looks like we have four
Taylor,Obi,Ian,Me

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:05 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

spacemanspiff wrote:
I'd like to play, if you would allow a Jedi healer of the same build as the Dark Times RPG. If that dosent work out I guess I could put together another Jedi (once again one that is difficult to tell he's one).

From what I read the Tyia did not begin interacting with the Jedi till after the purge in this era. Since the campaign is beginning only months after the formation of the Galactic Empire, you may play a Jedi or a force user that was trained in the Thuwisten tradition (most likely looking for Jedi survivors).

---------------------------------

Now that we have 4 players - Please feel free to openly discuss your character concepts/builds here including posting working stats. Once you have your final build please PM me the character for review. If every thing looks good I will post the character in a dedicated thread.

Attached is an Excel character generator. It is not perfect so you (and/or I) will need to double check the stats. Please use the forum formatting option. The threat that the attachment is from can be found here: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/19437218/Dont_call_it_a_generator,_but...&post_num=2210#506208691

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Dawn of Defiance PBP/Vassel Game (2 openings)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:32 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Hey tree. I am game for it, not sure about lisa, I might be able to talk her into it though. ---edit--- she would be up for it but she wants to know if she can play her zeltron from the other campaign (edited for the level of course)

If nobody wants it, I am all for a wealth/connections noble (aka the bankroll). Probably could whip up a background story quick too if you want.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*glares across the room at spaceman and obikenobi*

As for you two, Borga is waiting, is he going to be left on hold again?!?!?!

Post subject: Re: Dawn of Defiance PBP/Vassel Game (2 openings)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:37 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Jedi_Master wrote:
Hey tree. I am game for it, not sure about lisa, I might be able to talk her into it though. ---edit--- she would be up for it but she wants to know if she can play her zeltron from the other campaign (edited for the level of course)

I don't see a problem with the build concept. If you both use your log in, please use separate post for each character.

-------------------------------------------------------------

For this game backgrounds will not be required, but will grant bonus XP if provided. I am still setting up the introduction, once I have that done I will post where your background will have to end (if you want to do one).

-------------------------------------------------------------

[edit] I have created the story thread and the character thread and posted links in the first post. There is a small intro in the story thread that I will add to once the characters are done.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:31 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

TreebeardTheEnt wrote:
spacemanspiff wrote:

From what I read the Tyia did not begin interacting with the Jedi till after the purge in this era. Since the campaign is beginning only months after the formation of the Galactic Empire, you may play a Jedi or a force user that was trained in the Thuwisten tradition (most likely looking for Jedi survivors).

---------------------------------

Now that we have 4 players - Please feel free to openly discuss your character concepts/builds here including posting working stats. Once you have your final build please PM me the character for review. If every thing looks good I will post the character in a dedicated thread.

Attached is an Excel character generator. It is not perfect so you (and/or I) will need to double check the stats. Please use the forum formatting option. The threat that the attachment is from can be found here: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/19437218/Dont_call_it_a_generator,_but...&post_num=2210#506208691

Where is that force tradition exactly? Bummer I cannot be the Tyia again, I considered them the most healing oriented of the traditions.

Post subject: Re: Dawn of Defiance PBP/Vassel Game (No Player Openings)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:08 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I decided that the guy I'm going to run is a Scout who excels at being stealthy and deceptive. And who better at doing that than my old character from jonnys previous campaign. I think my Clawdite will finally have a chance to shine as this campaign won't be so combat orientated and more skill check based. I'm going to tweak my guy a bit, but he will eventually be in the infiltrator prestige class. Fighting isn't really my playstyle. I prefer skill checks over init checks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:45 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

spacemanspiff wrote:
Where is that force tradition exactly? Bummer I cannot be the Tyia again, I considered them the most healing oriented of the traditions.

Jedi Academy Training Manual, page 87.

And you can play a character from the Thuwisten tradition, you just can't have levels from the Jedi class if you do.

obikenobi1 wrote:
Fighting isn't really my playstyle. I prefer skill checks over init checks.

The campaign I selected is more balanced, but there is still quite a bit of combat. When you re-build your character know that he will be doing both.

-----------------------------------------

[edit] I updated the OP to include a section on backgrounds.

:DSBoom:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next