logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next

Post subject: Re: THE GUNGAN'S SUNDAY RPG
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:39 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

I

added this to the house rules
-can use force points for damage

added to the notes
-cant use force points if its not your turn

Are there any other house rules that are not in the house rules thread?

@bill and Brad Twin strike(whatever its called) and BB custom ideas have been added to the notes that will be given to Gunnar.

Overall most of the problems that have happened over the past few weeks have been a dressed. I really feel overall the game will be run a lot smoother and it overall with be twice as fun to play.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:31 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I have looked through my PMs and for some reason I only have my half of the conversation, none of your comments are present... Since I don't have any of your replies I cannot prove that you said that Melee Defense counts as fighting defensivly. But if my memory is correct it was the your responce to this PM
Spoiler: show
I know that you are much better acquainted with the rules than I am, and I want to understand your Defensive Fighting decision for the next time I GM. I am not asking you to change your mind, just looking to understand the possible abuses of allowing a player to take a -1 atk for a +1 def and consider it FD. What abilities can be abused / how will it affect the game? If you don't want to take the time to explain I understand, but I wanted to ask.

Thanks,
Walter
Sent: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:26 pm

Because my next responce is asking about the interactions between counterpunch and melee defense:
Spoiler: show
John,

Just trying to make sure I understand this correctly. The Counterpunch talent (S&V, pg 18) causes an adjacent character to provoke an AO if they attack me. If my character is moving and provokes an AO, thus causing an adjacent character to attack me, do I then get an AO first? From everything I have read it appears so...

Related question: Can I use Melee Defense on an AO to grant the dodge bonus for the rest of the round?

Thanks

Oh, should I ask questions in PM's or in the thread discussion?

Sent: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:14 pm

If melee defense did not count as fighting defensivly I would not have waisted my time asking about a talent that I was not going to take.

Last edited by TreebeardTheEnt on Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:02 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

billiv15 wrote:
Doesn't fighting defensively require not attacking?

Depends on the version of the game you are playing. Originally there was fighting defensively, where you could attack at -4 for a +2 dodge bonus, and a separate action called total defense, where you could not attack but received a +4 dodge bonus (page 156 and 153 respectfully if you have the old book). When they revised the rules for SAGA they combine these two options and made the rule confusing and put it in two different sections of the book (SAGA page 86 under Melee Defense, and page 152).
billiv15 wrote:
Sorry, I don't really know the feats you are all talking about. Walter, can you make a list of the exact names of each thing you are trying to combine, so I can actually make an educated suggestion?

We as a group are going to be responsible together with the GMs to make these decisions, so make a quick list, and give me what you are trying to do. I don't need/want your entire PM conversation with Jonny. I want what the rules allow, what you are trying to combine, and the logical reasons for it.

Melee Defense wrote:
You are trained at using combat abilities for defense as well as offense.
Prerequisite: Intelligence 13.
Benefit: When you use a standard action to make a melee attack, you can take a penalty of up to -5 on your attack roll and add the same number ( up to +5) as a dodge bonus to your Reflex Defense. This number my not exceed your base attack bonus. The changes to attack rolls and Reflex Defense last until the start of your next turn.
Normal: A character without the Melee Defense feat can fight defensively while using the attack action to take a -5 penalty on his attack roll and gain a +2 dodge to his Reflex Defense.

Because of the way this feat is worded and the fact that the name, description and normal use all refer to fighting defensively, it was my understanding that this was an advanced form of the standard action and thus if a character used Melee Defense they would trigger abilities like counterpunch (or anything else that required you to fight defensivly).

On a different note: Since the group and the GM are collaborating on the House rules are we introducing new proposed ones for review or only working through old and or unwritten ones?

Last edited by TreebeardTheEnt on Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:09 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

So is the problem that you took melee defense, and don't actually want it? Sounds to me like the best solution is to have you replace it with a new feat.

Does that work for you Walter?

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:27 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I need the Melee Defense feat for the Martial Arts Master prestige class. It is the talents interaction with the feat that is the issue.

I am frustrated that I took that time to PM Jonny a month ago to make sure that the rules worked the way I was reading them. A conversation that was very difficult for me for two reasons first Jonny kept focusing on the wording/rules problem with fighting defensivly and not answering my original question and second because I have dyslexia and typing is a pain (that is why I have a low post count on all the boards I am part of). After PMing back and forth he told me that I was reading it correctly, so I did not keep all the PMs and planed my character out to 9th level. Now that the character is at 8th level he is reversing what he told me and because I assumed I would not need the PM I am having the same discussion again.

[edit: for reference this post took me 17 minutes to wright.]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:38 pm 
Big Bad Brad
Big Bad Brad

Ahh, now I see it.

It's not a wasted feat. Fighting Defensively normally requires you to give up all attacks including AoO's. Counterpunch takes away the AoO restriction when Fighting Defensively. Melee Defense has no such restrictions

It's also a Solider Talent rather than a Martial Artist talent and that's probably where the two become incongruous with each other...

So Counterpunch works when Fighting Defensively but not with Melee Defense, but that's okay, as you still have various options from it. I had to take Vehicular Combat for my Prestige Class, now that's a waste!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:36 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

On a different note: Since the group and the GM are collaborating on the House rules are we introducing new proposed ones for review or only working through old and or unwritten ones?

What new ones did you have in mind?
I was just trying to get all the house rules we have made on paper.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:38 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

The_Celestial_Warrior wrote:
I had to take Vehicular Combat for my Prestige Class, now that's a waste!

That is a very good feat... if you are fighting in vehicles... :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:29 pm 

Ok Walter. Here's my proposed solution. It's the same thing we've done often in the past. Many prestige classes or even talents require a useless prereq. For example, my character had to take Niman style to take Juyo style. I don't want anything to do with Niman, so what I agreed with Jonny, is that I will ignore that I have Niman entirely, and essentially skipped it. I'm totally fine with you replacing Melee Defense, as long as you never use anything from it, and just assume it on your character only for the purposes of meeting the pre-req. Then replace it with something you want to take.

I'm sure we will all agree this is the best solution to not changing how you wanted your character to work, and to follow the rules as best we can.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:55 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I will leave the character as-is with the abilities working as currently described.

But I would like to propose this house rule:

Page 88: SKILL TRAINING (revision)
Benefit: The chosen skill does not need to be one of your class skills.

This will allow me to take skill training at a later time to gain the Acrobatics Skill without having to multi-class (but still at the cost of a feat).

Does that work for everyone?

[Edit] If you feel that this and Jonny's change to fighting defensivly is too strong, feel free to remove the fighting defensivly house rule.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:28 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

That house rule is not needed.
There was this house rule at the beginning of the campaign. For some reason it was taken off the list its back on now.
We are going to do limited Backgrounds. This idea comes from the Backgrounds on Rebellion page 16.
Pick a word tell a little about it in your background and then pick any skill that describes your word other than use the force which you are not trained in yet.

so just change out what you picked for acrobatics.

@Brian your level 7 not level 6. You leveled even though you didnt play two sessions ago.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:10 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I don't want to change what I picked. I chose Knowledge (Life Sciences) which is required to be a Medic. The original character was built around the concept of "Hands that Kill, hands that Heal" and I do not want to change that.

Since I did not ask for the fighting defensivly house rule and have not used it, and do not need to use it because the character has Melee Defense, please remove that house rule. The ruling came about from you getting distracted from my original PM question.

If anything is going to be house ruled specificly for my character I am asking for the one noted above for the skill training feat. If that is not accecptable the only other option I can find that stays true to the concept with out any house rules is to change the species from Human to near-human and exchange the pilot skill (that I have not used this game) for the acrobatics skill.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:12 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

Attached is a list of house rules that are used at wizards.com and saga-edition.com. I am only presenting this for discussion purposes and NOT asking that any/all of these be adopted.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:29 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

So who is Gunner and when is he planning to have the next session?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:16 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

We are playing tomorrow around 8-8 30.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:25 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

I might be a little late to tonight's RPG. I have a big family dinner that I need to attend, so i might not be home until 9:00-9:30PM. I want to play tonight, so if some one could either play as my character until i arrive or just have my character present at whatever place we are at, that would be great.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:55 pm 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I dont know which force tradition i want to do

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:27 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

I sadly won't be able to play tonight. I hope to be there for the next session (two weeks from now, I assume). By that point, hopefully I'll have had the time to completely finalize the SWRPG Vassal Mod that I've been working on for the past 2 months or so...it'll be up on this website before our next session. Have fun, guys!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:50 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Everyone got 5500 xp that played.
Bill,Matt got an extra 400xp and Brad got an extra 200.

Having Brad look over my stats and Gunnar running the storyline worked pretty well.
We will try and do the non-combat stuff early but every session is different but thats the plan for now on.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:27 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

how many credits did we each get from the crystal transaction? I still have it blank on my character sheet.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 375 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next