logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Tempted Smuggler
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:10 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Playing around with various 150 point ideas, as that's what we're running at the LGS tonight. Granted, we planned this 150 pointer thinking that Regionals/GenCon would be 150 again, and we'd get an early start, haha. But, it's been fun trying to come up with new ideas. I based this one on Deri's GenCon '09 winning squad.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/View.aspx?ID=75811

--Tempted Smuggler--
27 Ferus Olin
27 Han Solo, Smuggler
27 Luke Skywalker, Rebel Commando
20 Princess Leia
14 General Rieekan
9 General Dodonna
9 R2-D2 with Extended Sensor
8 Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Spirit
3 Mouse Droid
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

(150pts. 11 activations)

Dropped Crix and the ERC for Ferus, another Ugo, and a Mouse Droid. So, loses a bit of the ranged potential, and more importantly, loses Disruptive, which I'm not 100% sold on. Thinking about going with Juno instead of R2 to get the Disruptive back in there. With the Ugos having Mobile from Rieekan, I'm not so worried about needing Override.

Still, I like the odds that this squad has against GOWK builds. Dodonna means that Dash/Rex would rarely get big shots against you, unless they win a lucky init (if I keep R2, he would help keep that from happening). Luke and Ferus can easily take on GOWK. Heck, Ferus can kill him with just a Leia attack with Precision, followed up by a Double with Dark Temptation. The Snowspeeder opponents could be a tad more challenging without the ERC to keep the Speeder at bay, but with the new Restricted map list, I think I could do OK as far as forcing the Speeder to get close.

The main thing I don't like about this build at the moment, is that I don't have a solid gambit-getter piece. Could drop a Mouse + Ugo to get a Caamasi, which would mesh nicely with either Luke's Stealth or Obi FS. But I like having the Mouse to help with Leia's CE, and one more door opener, so I figure I'll just work with gambit in other ways.

Trying to decide which map would be best for this one....without the Double Override that Deri's squad had, I don't think Train Station is the best bet. I'm thinking Ruined Base would still be good.

Post subject: Re: Tempted Smuggler
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:11 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Play report!

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8581

This squad performed VERY well, and we were using the 'Standard' list. I think it would actually be even better on the 'Restricted' list, as the final game wsa on the Death Star map, and was the toughest. The first two games on Ruined Base and Yavin Temple were much easier.

I was VERY pleased with how this performed overall.

I lost Ferus in all 3 matches due to failing the Dark Temptation save 11. But in the 1st two games, I was able to kill him with Han before that same round was over, which meant that I didn't have to chase down the rest of their squad. Plus, it was hilariously fun to keep losing him, and give my opponent a chance to say "Ah ha! He's mine now!" even if they knew they had lost already anyways.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:02 pm 
Guardian of the Old Republic
Guardian of the Old Republic

Nice.

Couple thoughts:

How often did you get Levitation off? Seems like with Ferus the escape factor of Levitation is less important becaue he isn't as fragile as Crix/ERC. I could see dumping Obi for possibly:

R7
Juno
Camaasi/Mouse

Also how did the 11 activations work out? I like that you have more spin fodder than the original LL, positioning two Melee figures instead of 1 melee figure and all those shooters could requie one or two more activations.

Now at the same time Levitation will help Ferus immensely so I understand that I was just wondering from a streamlining factor if more tangible benefits like one of the 3 listed above may be better.

It is times like these I wish Dark woman had affinity Rebel, her Light Tutoring Han and then giving Han a 100 HP BG would be great....but hey the world can't always be perfect lol.

Nice squad!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:14 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yeah, I'm tinkering with the thought of losing Obi. Luke never ran out of FPs in any of the games I played. But I did use Levitation in every single game, and probably used it at least twice. I kept Luke pretty much out of LOS altogether in several of the matches, and I think I rolled well on his Evades any time he did get attacked. Though Han and Ferus tended to be my opponents' primary targets, so Luke really didn't get attacked that much.

Perhaps at 150, dropping Obi wouldn't be that bad, and it would certainly help to squeeze in Juno, which I really would have liked. I didn't necessarily NEED the disruptive in my tournament last week, but I could see it being useful overall. I like that suggestion.

At the 200 point level, you could certainly get both Obi and Juno in there, plus whatever other 42 points you want. Heck, at that point level, you could add Yoda of Dagobah and Light Tutor Han if you wanted to in order to let Ferus BG him. And in that case, I would probably have Obi haunt Han as well for the re-rolling of his attacks with Mettle.