logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Whorming my way to the Top
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:15 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Well, here's my first thoughts on a competitive 150 point Living Seps squad. What do you think?

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/View.aspx?ID=62225

--Whorming my way to the Top--
51 Count Dooku of Serenno
38 Boba Fett, Enforcer
21 GenoHaradan Assassin
20 General Whorm Loathsom
8 R7 Astromech Droid
6 Mouse Droid x2
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

(150pts. 9 activations)

Not too shabby on activations, and I could include San, but I don't really see the need in this particular build. With Flobi or the map changes coming in January, I'm hoping the Speeder's dominance will diminish, and that should make this a bit more viable. I like how Dooku is a monster of a melee interference piece, with Makashi and Riposte making your opponent's melee pieces truly fear an attempt to get near Boba or the GHA. I'm not sold on using the GHA though. Could also do Lando + Ugo instead. Or could drop the GHA, and both Ugs, and go with UH Lobot instead. But then I only have Dooku and Boba, and I'm not too keen on having only those two for threats. Are there better ideas for those other points? Could also consider Dooku DLOTS instead of Serreno. That one's a toss up, IMO.

Post subject: Re: Whorming my way to the Top
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:41 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Lobo, you need to change the link target to "View.aspx..." instead of "Modify.aspx..."

Nice squad. Interesting choices to be made between GHA or Lando... don't think I can comment on anything you don't already know, lol. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:42 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Whoops, nice catch. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:49 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Nice squad, Lobo! Personally, I'd use Lando over the GHA, unless you have plans for some fancy Cloaked tactics. Lando will have more consistent damage output. You'll also get another activation out of the deal.

Who would've ever thought that Dooku of Serenno would be useful? lol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:32 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I went with the Geno simply because of the Cloaked, honestly. In so many DCI games, gambit is SO important, and having a piece that you can toss in the gambit zone, that can't be shot back easily, is a key way to get ahead on points. Yes, Lando would likely do more damage, but the GHA has higher HP, and the always impressive Poisoned Blade. I think that's what is making the difference for me. Both are +8, and both have a situational extra +4. Without San in this squad, I don't know that Lando would get to use Opportunist all that often. And if I can get off even one Cunning/Poisoned Blade/Twin attack, I think the difference would be worth it. I don't know. Hard call to make till I've at least played it a few times.

Definitely feels weird to build a Sep squad without San though. And even weirder to have Dooku of Serreno as the center piece. :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:06 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Okay, I hear what you're saying. I think you're probably right to take the Geno then. The lack of San will really hurt Lando (yes, it's wierd to build a Sep squad without San), and if gambit is crucial in your local meta, then I can totally see why you'd want a Cloaked piece.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:56 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Serenno is also an excellent piece to kill Obi's. He laughs in the face of SSM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:37 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

i might recommend taking out the assassin and then swapping boba for boba mercenary so that he can double twin with cunning and intuition so you would be at 1 less activation but would have a stronger squad but thats just my oppinion not to mention the other boba would have intuition..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:08 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I have Boba Merc in my 200 point version, actually. Going with anything less than 9 activations in a 150 point squad is pushing it for me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:59 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

I personally don't Like the GHA. I'd rather go for Jareal or Lando DS, thought Lando's Atk bonus scares me because it is so low. You could go Tyranus LOTDS and Jareal instead of the GHA and Serreno. I really think you need San Hill, because with Obi-Wan being so dominant right now how much more important is it to out activate your opponents and set up those kills. This is the only area now where republic doesn't have options.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:05 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

well Aaron I like the Geo personally. I get you cloaking him and that is good. I also like how they double as a melee inteference piece and sometimes that is a huge push over the edge for me.

Since this is not a czerka twin and it is Whorm's..... well that melee twin attack can do 100 dmg.... so bully for the Geo.

Nice idea

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:14 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

even with the map changes and the like, i just can't see this competing without San.

Activation advantage is just too strong when your most expesive attacking piece is a melee piece with no evade.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:45 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
I personally don't Like the GHA. I'd rather go for Jareal or Lando DS, thought Lando's Atk bonus scares me because it is so low. You could go Tyranus LOTDS and Jareal instead of the GHA and Serreno. I really think you need San Hill, because with Obi-Wan being so dominant right now how much more important is it to out activate your opponents and set up those kills. This is the only area now where republic doesn't have options.

fingersandteeth wrote:
even with the map changes and the like, i just can't see this competing without San.

Activation advantage is just too strong when your most expesive attacking piece is a melee piece with no evade.

Well, to Luke's point, I really don't think Obi-Wan's prevalence has anything to do with needing San at all. That's just silly. You don't NEED to out-activate an Obi-Wan squad necessarily. Plus, one of the best GOWK squads only had 9 activations (the Human Bodyguard/Rex/Dash variant), which is exactly what I have here, so I wouldn't expect Flobi squads, at a 11 point disadvantage compared to GOWK, to push above 9 or 10 very easily.

Yes, Dodonna squads would be the trouble-some ones. That's why you'd have to depend on the Cloak of the GHA to get some early gambit and/or control the gambit arena, and Boba's Accurate to pick off things as possible. I'm not saying that I think it would be easy. Mobile/Evading Rebel squads would still be frustrating no matter what, even with San in most cases, IMO. Playing this squad above without San against a Slow Cannon squad, you would have to play it fairly similar to how you played GOWK squads against the Slow Cannon. Pick off fodder as you are able, and have your beat stick pounce on things when the opportunity is there, hoping your opponent fails some attacks (banking on Dooku/Tyranus' 21 defense here).

But, if you would rather run San, here's what I'm thinking about at the moment:

--San Whorm--
51 Count Dooku of Serenno
38 Boba Fett, Enforcer
27 Lobot
20 General Whorm Loathsom
10 San Hill
3 Mouse Droid

(149pts. 6 activations)

Even with Lobot though, I don't like the low activations. Wouldn't be enough to out-activate the solid Slow Cannon squads. Next best option would be to go with something else besides Boba Enforcer, which doesn't bother me, but I like having his Accurate/Mobile/Evade. Who else do you use instead to fill that role?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:54 am 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

I like the non San build better. I realize that Dodonna maybe a concern but I think that at some point you just have to work around the Dodonna builds.

I really think Dodonna has become a crutch for players and that you can deal with him by smart play. Is he a pain? Is he tough to deal with?? Sure. But I think your first squad is much better than the second. I think 9 activations should be fine for 150 but maybe I am just an idiot.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager