Mark forums read

Post subject: 150 gencon championship winner Updated with pics
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:26 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

***…INCOMING TRANSMISSION….***
Code 8152009 - Classified
General Skywalker,
In the wake of the destruction the second Deathstar we have received reports of insurgent activities stemming from a number of Rebel splinter groups raiding important sections of the Galaxy. We believe the goal of these splinter groups is to destabilize these regions and capitalize on the disruption to use the system trade routes for illegal smuggling operations. It is vital that these splinter groups be suppressed for a successful transition into a new republic.

Our Intel indicates heavy presence of Modified Incom T-47 speeders that were apprehended from hidden storage locations created after the Hoth evacuation a number of years ago. With your experience piloting the T-47s there is little need to emphasize the threat of these crafts with their high speed, mobility and power. It is due to this Intel that we have assigned General Madine and his elite commando unit to control these threats with their Ion cannons. We would like you to accompany the commando unit under the direction of General Madine to ensure this missions success. While we want you to defer command to General Madine, we feel your powerful use of the force, telekinesis and levitation in particular, will allow the commandos the speed to match and apprehend the T-47s.

Our Intel also confirms that some sorties will require combating rogue Jedi and Jedi cavalry that have resurfaced after the death of the Emperor and allied with these splinter groups. For these duties we have assigned Princess Leia and Han Solo to the mission for the added fire power they bring. The Jedi are strong and will most likely be accompanied by r2 units, residual clone wars soldiers and smugglers with heavy firepower. We cannot rule out the presence of Bounty Hunters in these missions as our Intel is often compromised and this may mean a mission could be a trap set by the infamous Boba Fett who apparently survived the encounter at Jabba the Hutts palace. His interest in General Solo has not diminished.

We expect these sorties to occur in systems such as Taris and Teth where these groups thrive but we strongly advise you apprehending the insurgents when they board their on-world transport to hinder the T-47 movement. These insurgents were men and women who once fought along side us and as a result share the same technology and tactics we do. For this reason we need to be extremely cautious.

We have appointed General Reiken to the mission whose exceptional strategies will serve as the defense of your group. As always, I will be overseeing the mission utilizing my experience to look for the correct opportunities to attack.

We trust you will take along your personal R2 unit who always serves us well.
Rendezvous with your group on the base at Endor in one week and wait further instructions.

May the force be with you Commander Skywalker and may the influence of Obi-Wan Kenobi push you to mission success.

General Dodonna

***…END TRANSMISSION….***

The above is a fictionalized account of the meta I was expecting to face in the championships and it led to the construction of the squad below

--lobbin' luke--
27 Han Solo, Smuggler
27 Luke Skywalker, Rebel Commando
20 Princess Leia
16 Elite Rebel Commando
16 General Crix Madine
14 General Rieekan
9 General Dodonna
9 R2-D2 with Extended Sensor
8 Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Spirit
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(149pts. 10 activations)
http://www.bloomilk.com/squads/View.aspx?ID=50395

The build is essentially a Smuggler Cannon with Commando support. Someone mentioned to me on the weekend that the Luke RC/han/leia combo is called a hover cannon but I’ve not really seen it described anywhere much. The surprised looks most of my opponents gave when Luke set up Hans shots led me to believe that many hadn’t figured out how powerful the gimmick is. I think the fact that this Luke is sorely underplayed gave me a great advantage in a lot of matches.
I had actually started to use Luke in order to levitate Obi Ghost to gambit so that he would provide a visible trigger for diplomat enabling me to control gambit with a diplomat + ghost combo on the 1st round. However, I realized that the ghost/diplomat combo is not as strong as I first thought and with everything else I felt I needed in this squad to compete, I could no longer fit the diplomat in. By this time though, I had really gotten to grips with Lukes levitation that can put Han into position, have Leia make Han fire and then he himself can fire moving out of LOS so that he isn’t a sitting duck at the start of next round.
I dropped the diplomat and kept the ghost so that Luke could levitate without depleting force in the early rounds meaning he still had force left when he is forced to engage later on. With his low attack score, mettle helps him. With the game being so shooter dominated force for deflect sand evade rerolls are vital especially when luke is pressing. Not to mention that having force for Djem So saves also improves his dmg output.
Lukes levitation is his big trick, but he can easily punch above his weight with greater mobile cunning. Levitate allows safe shots in the early rounds but in a lot of games Luke had to drop his support roll and rush to get a cunning double off. The fact that he is both a tech and an offensive piece in one package makes him fun to run but also forces you to assess your options carefully before committing to his attacks.

Everyone expected speeders, but I wanted to run Commando Luke and that took Lukes Speeder out of my squad possibilities but I still had to prepare for the inevitable speeder presence.
Rebels have probably the best counter to the speeder out of any faction.
The idea of the commando support I got from Shinja (Aaron Shockley) who played it in his regional squad. The leia/ERC/crix Madine combo gives the ERC a one turn 110 dmg on mounted weapons. For my squad this was an obvious inclusion as I already had a Commando and leia. Bringing in Crix and the ERC gave me serious anti-speeder tech, disruptive, 2 extra threats and an additional +20dmg to lukes power output.

I chose to add General Reiken as I felt that giving most of my squad mobile and evade was better than adding in a more expensive Commando Strike leader who would only affect 2 of my characters. Reiken is probably the best commander in the game at the moment and helps Han Smuggler become the best source of accurate shot the game currently has. Reiken also gave me an extra recon which came in handy to win inits for Crix’, ERC and lukes cunning bonus. The fact that Crix becomes a mobile evading stealth disruptive piece is Icing on Reikens cake.

Dodonna is an auto inclusion when you need to protect fragile pieces and I had enough points left to fit him in. R2 extenze gave me a 2nd override and recon option. I had 4 points over and chose an uggie as my last fodder because of the power of door control.

The map I chose was Train Station. The large number of doors meant that my double override coupled with levitation gave me a lot of unseen attacking options and a strong defensive bunker. Often I opened doors and levitated the override piece away so that the opponents pieces were exposed to mobile fire from a doorway that was held open by hidden pieces.
The train station has difficult access to gambit 1st round for many squads but levitation allows you to get it should you feel you need to.
The gambit is open on the map so long as you can get into the central platform. Again, levitation and door control coupled with stealth pieces and a meta that has few accurate shot options means that this squad can clear the gambit area using mobile attacks.
The biggest advantage to using train station is the hindrance the environment provides to the speeder. A number of single square paths that the speeder can’t fly down exist on the top and bottom platforms allowing guarded advance on opposing speeder squads.

It is an unusual build in that its highest point character is 27 and it has 4 commanders but there is a large amount of power in it.
Luke can do 80 (50 with Leia for a total of 130 a round)
The commando can do 60 (70 with leia for a total of 130) to normal figs. For Mounted weapons and droids this goes from 100 to 210 dmg a round.
Han is the consistent hitter of the group giving you an accurate 40-90 dmg a round. He really deters the rush and allows the commandoes to get their cunning as people avoid activating figures fearing Hans opportunist onslaught.
Crix, while being a commander, is a fair gun of himself being able to do 30 dmg with cunning.

Every piece in the squad is important, but the squad still functions strongly even when a piece is defeated. Several times I lost Han and finished with the commandoes and vice versa.

You can see it being run here in the final.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/1995266

This match is unusual for the squad because I chose to be aggressive with Luke and the ERC rather than stay defensive. It doesn’t showcase Lukes Levitation much and actually only one figure got levitated (the ERC) with the intention of getting to the middle of one platform rapidly. The side Bill chose for the speeder allowed me to get my ERC close to both the speeder and Lobot. In the crucial end rounds I chose to sacrifice Luke to kill the bodyguard netting no points but giving the ERC a chance to base the speeder. My reasoning for the aggressive move with luke was that if Bill chose to go for Luke he would need to base him with the speeder and use both the speeder and Leia to ensure the kill. This would leave the speeder there for the ERC to base it and twin twice, one due to Leia’s CE. It was high Risk with the ERC needing 13s with each shot but basing it removed evade and there was a chance that even if I didn’t do a lot of dmg with the 1st 4 attacks I could defeat the speeder should I win init with recon.
The dice favored me and gave me the kill. The rest of the match I used double override to hider Bills Han and tried to pick off his fodder pieces.

The game is not without mistakes. I made a position error with Crix that allowed Bill an early kill shot with Han/Leia that probably would have been very hard to recover from. You can see my relief and Bills disappointment after the evade save (it was a 20).

Hope you enjoy it.

Post subject: Re: 150 gencon championship winner
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:52 pm 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Congrats again Deri.

Excellent match. I watched it live and althought it was a little tough to pick out which piece was which (some are obviously easy) it looked to be a VERY close match that came down to evade saves.

Great job both of you and I was personally a little relieved to see something a bit different win!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:08 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Awesome write up Deri. You really did a wonderful job of analyzing the meta, and preparing for it. I console myself regarding the loss to Phillip, by remembering that I beat you during the Swiss rounds on Saturday. Granted, it was on my own map, but hey, I gotta take what I can get, right? :)

Once again, congrats. Great work!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:37 am 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

Congrats for winning Gen Con! I just finished watching the final match. Your squad seems very solid and an even match for the other meta squads out there. I love the surprise element with Luke. :D

I wonder if this will make people set aside the Snowspeeder and think out of the box.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:48 am 
Flim
Flim

Congrats again Deri!! I have a great picture of you after getting your "Green Shirt". as soon as it comes off my camera I will post it.

"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more"-- Albus Dumbledore

Proud member of the Triumvirate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:20 am 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

LoboStele wrote:
Awesome write up Deri. You really did a wonderful job of analyzing the meta, and preparing for it. I console myself regarding the loss to Phillip, by remembering that I beat you during the Swiss rounds on Saturday. Granted, it was on my own map, but hey, I gotta take what I can get, right? :)

Once again, congrats. Great work!

Yeah, you played the map and squad perfectly. I knew that Taris + speeder would be my undoing and luckily i only faced it twice and the 1st time he gave me a shot on the speeder. You were wise not to risk giving my that shot and i knew then that i was onto a loss.

Must've been a really dissapointing for you to lose to Joruus in the top 8, I thought you were gonna take the whole show.

@IGK - Thanks man, the Luke suprise element really payed off. It caught many people off guard as Han was given some crazy LOSs. The commando cannon is just viscious anti speeder tech.

Thanks James, i'd love to see the pic.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Top 8 pics

LoboStele vs Joruus C'Boath. An awesome match with mistakes on both sides. Came down to Lobo Han shooting at the speeder to kill it and rolling a ...1. Phillip still had deflect and evade, but you never know...

Nate vs Billiv15

Frank vs Eric (Ruhk)

Deri(Fingersandteeth) vs Shinja

Final 4

Deri vs Frank

Joruus vs Bill I lost track after Bill made like 8 evade saves in a row. Bill made an epic move in the end by using his Caamasi to pin the Landspeeder in a bay on Teth making it so Phillip was toast.

Finals

Deri vs Bill Awesome match!

Post subject: Re: 150 gencon championship winner Updated with pics
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:33 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

Wow those pictures are MUCH better then Deans.

I began to think that Gencon had a haze of BO that floated around.

Glad you cleared that up.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:57 pm 
Hand of the Sith
Hand of the Sith

Fool wrote:
Wow those pictures are MUCH better then Deans.

I began to think that Gencon had a haze of BO that floated around.

Glad you cleared that up.

It did... right as u walked through the magic the gathering section on the way to star wars .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:24 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

Wait...Ion Gun works on Mounted Weapons too?!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:16 pm 
The One True Sith Lord
The One True Sith Lord

yes Ion gun has worked on mounted weapons for a while now.

Collection: 934/934

SWM DCI Content Manager

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:31 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

yeah, pack in those Jawas and Commandos for any droid/mounted weapon action.

But aside from that a 16 point piece with twin, Mobile attack, stealth, evade, can hit you for 60 (sometimes 70) a turn, throw grenades and lock doors is phenomenal.

Its actually exactly what you expect a commando to be.

I should nick name him John Matrix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:47 am 
Unnamed Stormtrooper
Unnamed Stormtrooper

Great pictures BOBA52. Thank you Deri for the description of your build.

DB