Storm Commando 17
Stormtrooper Commander 15
Imperial Officer 14
Grand Moff Tarkin 11
Mas Amedda 8
Gran Raider 4
Gran Raider 4
Ugnaught Demolitionist 3

This is mostly a fun squad that I feel has outstanding dam potenial. With Tarkin I can outactivate my opp until the time is right, then activate 3. If all goes to plan I would use the Storm Commander to pump up a Commando on the previous turn, then after winning int, shoot with the unpumped Commando, and then shoot with Thrawn and switch to the pumped on one, shooting again. They are fragile and evade helps but I would wait to strike when the most damage can be done. What do you think?

Post subject: Re: Elite Imperials
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:38 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

hickom66 wrote:
Grand Admiral Thrawn 37
Bith Black Sun Vigo 20
Storm Commando 17
Storm Commando 17
Imperial Officer 14
Grand Moff Tarkin 11
Mas Amedda 8
Gran Raider 4
Gran Raider 4
Ugnaught Demolitionist 3

This is mostly a fun squad that I feel has outstanding dam potenial. With Tarkin I can outactivate my opp until the time is right, then activate 3. If all goes to plan I would use the Storm Commander to pump up a Commando on the previous turn, then after winning int, shoot with the unpumped Commando, and then shoot with Thrawn and switch to the pumped on one, shooting again. They are fragile and evade helps but I would wait to strike when the most damage can be done. What do you think?

I wonder where that Tarkin idea came from? :D

The SC's are great I have found at all point totals. Your squad here though has a few flaws. This squad is the exact same base as my 100 point Swiss Army Knife. (Only you subbed 2 Grans for Stormis) For the extra 52 points I don't think that the Bith, Imp Off, Storm Commander and uggie is the best way to use those points for these reasons:

A) The Bith gives you yet another Cunning/Advantageous shooter. While this could be good, the Bith does not benifet from Thrawns +3 stat boost. Another SC is a surperior choice here IMHO.
B) The Imp Off gives nothing to this squad. Drop him for Stormies.
c) The ST Commander is ok. I can see him being good with a SC (40 damage a shot from one is nice!) although wouldn't you rather another SC for 2 more points?

If you want to keep the evade/Bith going I would suggest dropping the Imp Off and STC for AA's and other stealth followers.

If you want to keep the STC then I would drop the 2 Grans, the Bith, the Imp Off and the Uggo for another STC and Stormtroopers. Pump each of the SC's with their CE's and use the Storm's as activations and screeners.

This gives me an idea... :D

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:12 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Well the Imp Off was there to get off another shot with the pumped up SC. I know he wouldnt receive Deadeye but would still get another shot in @ 30. Also I like that BSBV because he helps to make the SC a little make durable (with decent rolling). The stormies would help for act and shooting support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:24 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

hickom66 wrote:
Well the Imp Off was there to get off another shot with the pumped up SC. I know he wouldnt receive Deadeye but would still get another shot in @ 30. Also I like that BSBV because he helps to make the SC a little make durable (with decent rolling). The stormies would help for act and shooting support.

The Imp Off/Uggie is pointless when you can buy a Commando for the same price.

Paying 20 points to grant an ability that works 50% of the time for your Commandos is not worth it as
A) You can get another Commando for it's cost
B) You should never leave a SC where it can get shot and killed. If you must then their 20 Defense should be more than enough protection.

“Those with no tactical ability at all may never understand or accept it. Nor will such people understand or accept the tactician. To those without that ability, those who posses it are a mystery.” - Mitth’raw’nuruodo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:33 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

thejumpingflea wrote:
hickom66 wrote:

Paying 20 points to grant an ability that works 50% of the time for your Commandos is not worth it as
B) You should never leave a SC where it can get shot and killed. If you must then their 20 Defense should be more than enough protection.

Fair enought I'll concede to point A. Never really thought about it that way. The added fact of evade just makes the SC that much harder to get rid of. Thanks for your help.

Grand Admiral Thrawn 37
Bith Black Sun Vigo 20
Storm Commando 17
Storm Commando 17
Storm Commando 17
Grand Moff Tarkin 11
Mas Amedda 8
Gran Raider 4
Gran Raider 4

-OR-
Grand Admiral Thrawn 37
Bith Black Sun Vigo 20
Storm Commando 17
Storm Commando 17
Grand Moff Tarkin 11
Mas Amedda 8
Stormtrooper 5
Gran Raider 4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:48 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

hickom66 wrote:
thejumpingflea wrote:
hickom66 wrote:

Fair enought I'll concede to point A. Never really thought about it that way. The added fact of evade just makes the SC that much harder to get rid of. Thanks for your help.

Grand Admiral Thrawn 37
Bith Black Sun Vigo 20
Storm Commando 17
Storm Commando 17
Storm Commando 17
Grand Moff Tarkin 11
Mas Amedda 8
Gran Raider 4
Gran Raider 4

-OR-
Grand Admiral Thrawn 37
Bith Black Sun Vigo 20
Storm Commando 17
Storm Commando 17
Grand Moff Tarkin 11
Mas Amedda 8
Stormtrooper 5
Gran Raider 4

Looks solid. Still a little light on activations, but when played smart you should do great.

(The second one is the one I was just about to post after seeing your squad. Only change is to drop the Bith in favor of 2 Twi'lek BG's. :D )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:48 am 
Warmaster
Warmaster

thejumpingflea wrote:
Looks solid. Still a little light on activations, but when played smart you should do great.

10 activations is fine in 150 points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:02 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

adder wrote:
thejumpingflea wrote:

Not when you are playing a SC squad. You need the support of activations to keep them safe. There is not just a general # of activations you should use. Normally, yes, 10 is fine, but in this build you should use at least 12-14. (Trust me, when it comes to SC's I know my way around! Haha.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:44 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

thejumpingflea wrote:
adder wrote:
thejumpingflea wrote:

Not when you are playing a SC squad. You need the support of activations to keep them safe. There is not just a general # of activations you should use. Normally, yes, 10 is fine, but in this build you should use at least 12-14. (Trust me, when it comes to SC's I know my way around! Haha.)

Why would you need more activations, the whole point of SCs are to kill them before they activate, not outactivate them then kill them.

Besides, if you play Grand Moff Tarkin right you can outactivate even a San squad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:52 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

adder wrote:
thejumpingflea wrote:
adder wrote:
thejumpingflea wrote:

Why would you need more activations, the whole point of SCs are to kill them before they activate, not outactivate them then kill them.

Besides, if you play Grand Moff Tarkin right you can outactivate even a San squad.

For you to get into position with the SC's you need to outactivate your opponent. If your opponent out activates you and has the likes of Han SC, Boba BH etc, then you could easily lose a SC at the end of that round. Losing a SC is NOT an option in these squads.

Tarkin is not a good thing to rely on for 1 activation a round. One accurate shooter will end him.

It is pointless to argue about. Go ahead and play less then 10 activations on a SC based squad. Good luck keeping those buggers alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:40 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

thejumpingflea wrote:
It is pointless to argue about. Go ahead and play less then 10 activations on a SC based squad. Good luck keeping those buggers alive.

I will, when I ever play Swiss Army Knife

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:49 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

adder wrote:
thejumpingflea wrote:

The Swiss Army Knife at 150 has 12 activations so I don't know WTF you are talking about. Haha

If you mean the Swiss Army Knife at 100 points, of course it won't have 10 activations. Nor will any squad with an accurate shooter that can do 40 damage in one turn.

You are comparing two things that are completely different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:03 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

adder wrote:
thejumpingflea wrote:

Adder you know better than that, with less than 10 activations at 150 VS. a swiss army knife squad you will go down... hard. The knife squad also needs at least 10 activations to survive. I would put in another SC though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:50 pm 
Warmaster
Warmaster

I'm not going to get anywhere, you're the Swiss Army Knife master.

Ceasefire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:51 pm 
Imperial Dignitaries
Imperial Dignitaries

haha damn that was harsh. Play it anyway....

Archives of the Gamers Jedi
is designed to be your official source for in-game rules questions!