33 Captain Rex
23 Captain Panaka
21 Dark Woman
09 R2 Astromech
08 Mas Amedda
05 Caamasi Noble

150pts, 7 activations.
Map: Rancor Pit.

It's low on activations, but that can change after a gallop or two. You'd run your DW up to the center wall of the Rancor Pit map, swap for Yobuck, let Yobuck go crazy, then swap him back (for the Noble). After that, you still have R2 to tow Yobuck to set up for a second Gallop. One of the things about Yobuck swapping before, was that you'd often lose R2 after towing Yoda up for the first gallop...now he can stick around a bit longer, or else just tow Rex around for an 18-square range to his quad-attack.

I'm not sure if the squad has what it takes (7 acts is way too low, and no Ugs can be a problem). Maybe 200pts would be a better format. Then you could add a JWM and some Ugs and activation fodder.

Post subject: Re: Wall-Buck
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

In any other squad, door control would be needed; but with R2/the Dark Woman/Yobuck, you can get to nearly any square on any map in your first three activations. Played by someone who knows what they're doing, door control shouldn't be an issue by the time Yobuck has struck twice.

I really like it.

<Joruus> - (its VASSAL, so you'll crit or roll a 1)
*** 1d20B = 1 *** <Yodarulz>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:48 pm 
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Battlemaster

Yes, IC, I know you like it... bum :P

Very deadly to most squads, Tow the DWM, Phase move, then swap and gallop puts the squad on an equal activation level as the enemy, plus, no commander is safe. Ever. Could struggle against say.. new Yoda and JWM, but smart play can ovcer come anything.

Join the FOLLY! Online casual League, find out more here: FOLLY

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:15 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Dude.....

I played this squad last night at the LGS. Wow. I was a bit scared going into it, because dealing with tempo control was going to be my biggest worry, or even large-ish activation armies (James tends to play a lot of activations, even without tempo control, using Lobot for Ugs/Mouse Droids in many situations).

Man was I surprised how well it worked though!!

You can read my full tourney report here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7115

Short of it though....no fodder is safe. Tow + Phase + Swap + Gallop means you can reach any square on the map on the first turn if you want to, and if enough doors are open. 2nd round, no matter who wins init, attack with Yobuck again, then swap in Rex = dead commander(s).

The one Dodonna squad I faced was tough because he wasn't depending on a lot of activations, and he had Mara Jedi which could shred my pieces, so he was activating her last, trying to set her up for the big Cunning/Assault strikes. That was nasty. Luckily, between R2, Phase, and swapping, I managed to stay on the other side of the map for the most part, at least until Yobuck was able to kill Dodonna and then give me the activation advantage.

Against the squads that just plain out-activated me....not a problem at all. By round 3 in all three of those games, I had killed off almost everything with 20 or less HP, and often one or two key 40 HP pieces. A Gallop from Yobuck followed by Swap and unloading from Rex is insane. And except for the games where Jedi Hunters were present, giving that extra FP to Rex via Light Tutor makes a HUGE difference, often allowing the key roll you made to end up as a hit. You know, when you need to hit all 4 shots to get the kill, and you roll a 5 needing a 6 on the last roll. :P

Great build, TINT. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to tweak it at all, but at this point, I'm not seeing anything. I'd love to have a bit more door control, but you really need that scrub swap piece in there for the occasions where you don't want to have to sacrifice something. I definitely enjoyed this. I think it might be even more dangerous at the 200 point level, when you can squeeze in at least one more threat, but this is DEFINITELY solid at 150 as well. At the very least, it's a gatekeeper type of squad against the high-activation stuff.

What kind of things do you think would really give trouble to this squad?

Vong are an issue, IMO, but depending on the build, most of those do not have any shooters, so with careful swapping and such, should be able to kill 1 JH per round, as you get 4 shots from Rex, then hopefully 2 hits from Yobuck and 1 hit from TDW. If they make all their VCA6 saves, that still 7 hits for 10 each, which would kill 1 JH. The Ossus Guardians are tougher to kill though, but I honestly don't expect to see them in regular Vong builds, just in NR builds. Rex and Panaka make for great meat shields against the Vong though, as they have a tough time hitting them, let alone doing enough damage, fast enough, to kill them. Tow Cable + Swap should be enough to get to the Tech (Shaper, Priest, Yomin, etc.) in most games I think.

B&B wouldn't bother me much. The Opportunist variants could be deadly, since Lord Vader could drop Yobuck with one Raging Assault. But if you set up a Gallop correctly, you should be able to kill any and all swap fodder in one pass.

Rebel builds with the Snowspeeder concern me, though Rex's Penetration and Yoda's Speed I think can keep that from being a problem. Go after Leia first, perhaps? Going after the Speeder could be solid as well, if you can pull off a 10-16 square Gallop/Assault, then swap in Rex to hopefully finish off the Speeder. Han should be easy to handle at that point. Maybe use TDW's Cloak to Force Han or the Speeder to come in close, then Swap in to wail on them? Again, I think those types of squads (like Tim's or DarkJedi21's at the Regionals) will be tough because they have a lot of decent pieces, without much fodder.

TBSV/Xizor squads could be tricky as well, especially if they protect the Czerka well. Would have to use Rex, hopefully, to wipe out two Vigos at once with a Double/Twin, though most solid players should keep you from pulling that off. You would HAVE to kill the Czerka on your first foray into enemy territory, and AoOs on Yoda from the TBSVs wouldn't be too smart either.

Anything you guys have determined would be particularly difficult to deal with?

As you can see, I spent a good deal of time thinking about this squad this week, and I really enjoyed playing it. So I expect to see it, or something like it, show up at my LGS after this. ;) Trying to figure out what could beat it. :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:24 am 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

This is my kind of squad. Sweet...

GVL Statistics: 5-1 Record, 7.5 VPs & 9 BPs