logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Tyranus and Aurra
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:51 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I was wondering if I could get some critique on this squad for a regional event. I know that Dash is fairly weak in this squad, but wasn't sure if a better option was available. Reserves might be Jolee for the CE or maybe 2 Kel-Dors/Filler would be better. Thanks in advance.

--Seps 150 - Tyranus Regional--
49 Darth Tyranus, Legacy of the Dark Side
41 Aurra Sing, Jedi Hunter
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
15 Lobot, Computer Liaison Officer
10 San Hill
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(149pts. 7 activations)

[Reserves]

Lobot, CLO:
23 Jolee Bindo
5 Caamasi Noble

San Hill:
20 Bodyguard Droid

Post subject: Re: Tyranus and Aurra
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:19 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

It's not too bad. Unless you get lucky enough to get Lobot's reserves though, you'll have a tough time against anybody else with Tempo control. And in my experience, I'm lucky if I get Lobot's Reserves more than once in 3 or 4 games. So it isn't something you can depend on, that's for sure.

It also sort of depends on what type of opponent's you think you'll be playing against. Do you expect GOWK to make a big showing at your event? Or would something like B&B or Rebel push squads or Xizor and Vigos be more likely?

The Tyranus/Aurra combo has been a nice San Hill style build for a while now, but it's still very fragile against opposing shooter squads. Tyranus and Aurra have good defense values, but they have no defensive abilities against shooters. So prevailing against those sorts of squads can be pretty tough.

Also remember that in most games, you will only be able to use Tyranus' Lightning 4 ability once, maybe twice if you're lucky, just based on the number of rounds it takes to build up the FPs, plus the few places where you'll have to burn FPs on moving extra, Block, or Riposte instead.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:14 am 
General
General

I think I played that *exact* squad this past weekend, against GOWK/Rex/Dash. It totally ripped GOWK apart, without ever getting Reserves. I found it benefits alot from slow play; play it on a map with protected gambit, and keep up with your opponent's Gambit score. Try for shots of opportunity with Dash when you can. Eventually, your opponent will get nervous about 10% reserves each round plus Tyranus building up Force. I was able to take out GOWK with an end round Lightning, Lobot Reconned the initiative for me and Tyranus finished GOWK with a beginning round Lightning. GOWK had taken 20 damage from Dash shots.

For a regional, I think this should do just fine against GOWK (especially the Yobuck variant). You'll have problems with Vong and Rebel Force Push squads though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:00 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

I'm not sure what to expect at the regional; a majority of the players there will be ones I've never played with. Our small 6-man event last weekend consisted of 2 GOWK squads, so that's 30% GOWK right there. I don't particularly plan on ending up in the top rankings, but I'd like to play to the best of my abilities, especially considering the 2-hour drive. I was thinking about playing Ravaged Base (is that the right name?), which allows for covered gambit for both sides.

Heck, I was running Kyle and Wedge last weekend and totally forgot that Evade worked against Bane's 50-damage LS Throws. I felt like a retard.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:06 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

I used to run this as an MTB squad a year ago, with old Lobot, and no Dash obviously. I would use a closed off map. Ravaged base isn't bad per se, but the running lanes to the opposing squad are longer than on other closed maps, and often result in lots of shots coming back when you have melee without R2.

I would go with either Bespin or Yavin Temple as your map. You really want to have places to move up and to hide as much as possible. Yavin Temple was always a favorite of mine with Aurra/Tyranus because if gave me the safety of a closed melee map, with the openness near the center that allowed for big barrages on occasion.

Hope that helps.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:56 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

Thanks, I appreciate the thoughts from the more active members of the community. I'll be sure to post my side of the event (the only "name" one I know that is going this weekend is NickName).