55 General Obi-Wan Kenobi
29 Anakin Skywalker, Jedi
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
11 Human Bodyguard
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
9 Mouse Droid x3
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
(150pts. 11 activations)

I ran this last night and for 1 I did not like it to much but I did go 3 and 1 losing to Lobo but was a close game. I know he will put up the report soon but he is a better writer than I.

I got djem so and a force point with this. It did help with one match to have that extra force point but it hurt when i was mostly getting shot

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

Post subject: Re: GOWK and Anikian
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:53 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yep, decent alternate build. Anakin is just such a weakling against shooters though, so that makes it a tough sell for me personally.

Here is my report from last night. Brian, feel free to copy over any relevant GOWK info to the thread on WOTC, or I'll try to do it later tonight or tomorrow.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6431

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am interested in whether you felt Rex would have been way better or if just finding a better mid costed Jedi to take Ani's place would suffice?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:31 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

StriderRe80 wrote:
I got djem so and a force point with this. It did help with one match to have that extra force point but it hurt when i was mostly getting shot

I disagree with using Anakin over a JWM. Sure you gained djem so (which requires a save) and a force point. But what did you lose? An extra activation, guaranteed riposte, sweep, deflect, and a 27 defense even if an enemy with a force rating is adjacent. I would rather use a JWM to face Lord Vader with than Anakin. Vader can OF at a +18 for 40 damage, and against Anakin he is sure to hit 4 times. (Really he doesn't even need to use Sith Rage if he has opportunist, so he can reroll a miss, too).

Against a JWM he needs 9's to hit. Good luck with that. The dice might roll LV's way over the long haul, but it is going to be the specific moments that screw him up. Swing 4 times for 120 damage needing 9's, and hit once, maybe twice. Then take a Riposte at +16 vs. a 21 and have to deal with the double attack back before the next round. Then on the next round, it's +14 and he has to use Rage to get the 30 damage, so no rerolling. Or you can immediately swap LV out and then give the JWM his free play in which he moves out of the threat range.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:57 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Boba52 wrote:
I am interested in whether you felt Rex would have been way better or if just finding a better mid costed Jedi to take Ani's place would suffice?

I think Rex would of been better. Their were many times I wished I had those 4 attacks to help but then again i would of not been opposed to have a JWM to help. I was starting to get the hang of running Anikian but the shooting is really what killed him.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:58 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
StriderRe80 wrote:

I disagree with using Anakin over a JWM. Sure you gained djem so (which requires a save) and a force point. But what did you lose? An extra activation, guaranteed riposte, sweep, deflect, and a 27 defense even if an enemy with a force rating is adjacent. I would rather use a JWM to face Lord Vader with than Anakin. Vader can OF at a +18 for 40 damage, and against Anakin he is sure to hit 4 times. (Really he doesn't even need to use Sith Rage if he has opportunist, so he can reroll a miss, too).

Against a JWM he needs 9's to hit. Good luck with that. The dice might roll LV's way over the long haul, but it is going to be the specific moments that screw him up. Swing 4 times for 120 damage needing 9's, and hit once, maybe twice. Then take a Riposte at +16 vs. a 21 and have to deal with the double attack back before the next round. Then on the next round, it's +14 and he has to use Rage to get the 30 damage, so no rerolling. Or you can immediately swap LV out and then give the JWM his free play in which he moves out of the threat range.

And I will agree with you. If I could do it again I would use a JWM or Rex instead of Ani

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:32 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

StriderRe80 wrote:
Grand Moff Boris wrote:
StriderRe80 wrote:

And I will agree with you. If I could do it again I would use a JWM or Rex instead of Ani

I don't think Anakin is that bad. If he gets an opportunity to face Melee, it's golden. The JWM is nice, but he does only have 3 FPs for Deflect. Also, Boris forgot to touch on Deadly Attack. I know it isn't going to happen that often, but it certainly is nice to have that extra chance for a critical.

If anything, I applaud you for attempting to use the Map Pack Anakin.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:10 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Tirade wrote:
I don't think Anakin is that bad. If he gets an opportunity to face Melee, it's golden.

I wouldn't call it "golden." Anakin will still have to make the save, and most of the time when he doesn't, guess where the fp for the turn goes. So you'd better not miss the attack, either.

I am just not impressed with Djem So, and I think it will be the failing factor of GMLS as well.

Quote:
The JWM is nice, but he does only have 3 FPs for Deflect.

And Anakin only has 4. So what.

Quote:
Also, Boris forgot to touch on Deadly Attack. I know it isn't going to happen that often, but it certainly is nice to have that extra chance for a critical.

I didn't forget. A person can't forget what he doesn't know. :P
Seriously, I didn't know it had Deadly Attack. I glanced at the stat card once, and sized it up against the JWM, then promptly put the card and mini away in EBoD. If I had known, or memorized the card, you would be right. I wouldn't have mentioned it anyway. It won't happen enough to be game changing.

I don't know if Rob intends to make pieces that are better than the JWM for that cost range, but so far he hasn't really put much effort into it.

Quote:
If anything, I applaud you for attempting to use the Map Pack Anakin.

Yeah, I agree. That takes real cahones. :)

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:32 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Nah...that Anakin definitely has it's uses....

If GOWK weren't running rampant right now, I'd have a blast playing this Anakin in my 150 pt Jedi Swap/Swarm squad:

--Jedi on the Loose!--
52 Jedi Weapon Master x2
24 Roron Corobb
23 Captain Panaka
23 Jolee Bindo
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
8 Gran Raider x2
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(150pts. 10 activations)

Drop one of the JWMs and the two Grans for Anakin and a Caamasi. Might not be absolute Tier 1, but it's hard to say if GOWK weren't running things. I've had good success with that version above, and Anakin would an extra measure of versatility against a melee heavy opponent (like Vong...maybe).

Anyways, he's not horrible. For the loss of an Ugnaught, you gain Deadly, Djem So, and 1 more FP, but you lose a small bit of versatility by losing Deflect and Sweep. If you already have that versatility in other pieces, like another JWM, then that's when this Anakin starts looking pretty nice.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:54 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
Nah...that Anakin definitely has it's uses....

If GOWK weren't running rampant right now...

But he is and so you can't discount that. It'd be like saying, if not for the Camaasi Noble Palp on Throne would rock. If the best argument for a piece is the absence of another, that's not a valid statement IMO.

Quote:
I've had good success with that version above, and Anakin would an extra measure of versatility against a melee heavy opponent (like Vong...maybe).

You've still got to make that save. Maybe it's just me, but Djem So does NOT = free attack. Djem So = 50/50 chance for a free attack. And if you reroll the save, you can't reroll the attack. If you don't reroll the save because you made it, well you still have to hit. And then you have to deal with whatever responses come such as an enemy's Djem So (which also requires a save, I know), Riposte, Parry, or Block. (And yes those last two are also saves lol.)

Quote:
Anyways, he's not horrible. For the loss of an Ugnaught, you gain Deadly, Djem So, and 1 more FP, but you lose a small bit of versatility by losing Deflect and Sweep. If you already have that versatility in other pieces, like another JWM, then that's when this Anakin starts looking pretty nice.

I'm not saying he's a bad piece. He's costed about right. But for all that you gain with him, I think you give up too much in the tradeoff, especially for something 3 points cheaper. That number "3" is significant in SWM. It can mean the difference between winning and losing sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:47 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
But he is and so you can't discount that. It'd be like saying, if not for the Camaasi Noble Palp on Throne would rock. If the best argument for a piece is the absence of another, that's not a valid statement IMO.

True. Guess I'm just being optimistic about him. I'm looking forward to using Anakin Jedi in some form, because if GOWK doesn't get banned at the DCI level, we'll house-rule him to be banned at the LGS anyways.

Quote:
I'm not saying he's a bad piece. He's costed about right. But for all that you gain with him, I think you give up too much in the tradeoff, especially for something 3 points cheaper. That number "3" is significant in SWM. It can mean the difference between winning and losing sometimes.

Very true. And that's why both StriderRe80 and I agreed while we were playing that night that a JWM would be better in this particular squad than Anakin.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:14 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

I like the fact that Djem So Style works against the Vong. With Force Users becoming so big, you can bet you'll see more Vong. That alone makes Anakin a better alternative than the JWM.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:35 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Tirade wrote:
I like the fact that Djem So Style works against the Vong. With Force Users becoming so big, you can bet you'll see more Vong. That alone makes Anakin a better alternative than the JWM.

It works, on average, half the time.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:04 am 
Name Calling Internet Bully
Name Calling Internet Bully

Tirade wrote:

Its on average about 2.5dmg back on the Vong per Vong attack. That isn't a whole heck of a lot.

I played Vong JHs against GMLS a while ago on Vassal, and my opponent too at the time, was convinced that djem so Mastery would be helpful. He made all but one Djem so save, but getting hit for 30 with twin and poison, really hurts. I also would spit poison with Yomin and the shaper virtually every round, so that too averaged another 20dmg on GMLS.

Luke killed 2 JHs and damaged a third before he died. That left me with two more JHs, the shaper and Yomin to deal with Kyp. I killed Kyp the same round as GMLS (round 4 I believe). Djem so wasn't an issue.

And that was Djem so Mastery, where he gets twin, and the extra 10dmg on the first hit. Do you really think Anakin with only one attack back every other hit that will only land 10dmg every 1/4 of those that hit is a significant advantage over a JWM and an ugo? The ugo can take away a key spit poison (and a mouse in its place can prevent it altogether). It can also hit the vong for 10dmg with GOWK on a roll of a 12, which comes darn close to equally the extra damage of djem so (lands 10 1/4 hits, so roughly 1/8 attacks). The JWM has significant advantages over Anakin against range attackers, which more than covers him in his deficiency here, which I think I have been clear, is minimal.

The only reason to run Anakin over a JWM in a competitive game, is when you are running Ashoka. Anakin and Ashoka with GOWK, do come out about as powerful as two JWMs in their places. The differences being the options they have. And even in this case, I would only be doing it at 200, where I can help them overcome their deficiencies even more. At 150, two JWMs is almost always better (unless you were 1pt short of running 2 I suppose, but then, now you could simply run 1 JWM and 2 Rangers anyways) :)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:15 am 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yea at 200 it would be the better point level to run him. He will have the better support and could face a few more melee. The only time I ran ageist melee that night was ageist Aaron with his Obi and he only made 1 attack ageist Ani and I failed the save but I did make the block save

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 1:26 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Yeah, I agree Anakin is more of a 200 point piece. No argument there. I'm just in disagreement with Boris over Djem So Style. The JWM can't riposte against the Vong. At least Anakin has a chance to whack them back. That has to be worth something in my book.

But it really is moot for me. I don't find much interest in the 150 game. The game is heading for 200 IMHO. Of course that doesn't stop me from posting my thoughts on the 150 squad ;). Especially if I see a piece I haven't seen used yet.

edit: This Map Pack Anakin is one reason I need to get a hold of an Ahsoka. Those two together make for a solid team. I like that.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:08 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Tirade wrote:
Yeah, I agree Anakin is more of a 200 point piece. No argument there. I'm just in disagreement with Boris over Djem So Style. The JWM can't riposte against the Vong. At least Anakin has a chance to whack them back. That has to be worth something in my book.

To each their own, of course. In my experience, anything that requires a save is too unwieldly to be reliable (unless of course it also has Mettle and MotF2 lol).