logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: Jedi on the Loose!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:53 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Here's a squad that I tried out yesterday for a 150 point tournament (report is here).

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/ViewSqua ... adID=28462

--Jedi on the Loose!--
52 Jedi Weapon Master x2
24 Roron Corobb
23 Captain Panaka
23 Jolee Bindo
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
8 Gran Raider x2
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(150pts. 10 activations)

What do you think? I would say Ruined Base or Train Station are the best maps for it. Throne Room could work well though too.

It suffers some from a lack of shooter support, but Panaka holds his own quite well with Opportunist. I used him a couple times in my games to pick off a key piece here or there, like a Czerka, or an Ugo hanging out in gambit. As long as one of your Jedi is up front causing trouble, then Panaka is usually a bit safer to stick his neck out. I also like Panaka's bodyguard for R2, especially in early rounds while you're trying to set up a killer swap. This can be key against some of your main shooters that often tend to zero-in on R2 and take him out with an easy Cunning/Accurate shot or something. BG'ing a key 20-30 dmg onto Panaka instead, since you can keep him out of the main action after that, could really make a big difference in a game.

I think one of the other big advantages of this squad is the massive amount of HP, and the relatively high Defenses. Storm Commandos still need to roll a 12 to hit the JWMs or Roron in cover, and all 4 Jedi have Deflect anyways. Roron is awesome against a lot of the trooper type pieces like Star Corp Troopers, ARCs, Republic Commandos, Battle Droids, and even though he can't kill things like Mando Scouts or IG-86's with a single Repulse, you can do some decent damage, and possibly activate them. In those matchups, often the JWMs can lead the fight, and then plop Roron in at the end for a quick clean-up Repulse.

I was quite surprised at how well this squad performed yesterday. I think it might be weak against NR because of Kyle's Disruptive and Mara's Cunning/Assault, but a key Deflect or two could make a big difference in those games. Luckily, with only 1 shooter, Wedge's CE isn't worth nearly as much in this matchup. Yobuck and Lancers can be handled without too much trouble by either swapping Roron for a Repulse on the Lancer, or hitting with two Ripostes and then hoping Panaka gets the kill shot with Opportunist.

Post subject: Re: Jedi on the Loose!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:04 pm 
Third Jedi from the Left
Third Jedi from the Left

Train Station for sure. The combination of r2+panaka+roron means your opponent either has to spread out their pieces and risk door lockouts or will be bunched inside the trains and will be set up for a repulse. You can still get gambit first round if you want, where most squads will struggle for it. Train Station is probably the best map for repulse and just generally works well for the JWM's.

The added advantage to it being its new and your opponents don't have nearly as much experience on it as ruined base.