Post subject: Broken Rex possibilities
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:07 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Here's my take on an update to the Broken Boba squads:

Squad 1:

Captain Rex
JWM x2
Jarael (or drop an Ugo and use a 3rd JWM instead)
Lobot
R2-Astromech
Ugo x2

Squad 2:

Captain Rex
Commander Gree
JWM x2
RC Sev
R2-Astromech
Mas
Ugo x4

Preferred maps: Train Station or Ruined Base. Would probably work OK on Death Star or Throne Room as well.

The two squads play pretty differently. I've played squad 1 a few times now, and I like how it runs, just have to be more careful about positioning. That was the only reason I've lost any games, as you have to be careful to keep R2 alive, as he's the key to putting Rex in place for the right shots, or getting a JWM up close enough to attack. Jarael is definitely nice if your local meta includes a lot of Droid squads, but even her Shockstaff can be pretty cool. Plus, her 16 square movement really takes a lot of people by surprise, and on many maps, you can reach 1st round gambit even with R2's help. Lobot gives you double Override and the customization. I like using a Czerka and 2 Ugs, to give Rex the Jolt. Wicket can be a good option though to help with the JWMs and Jarael's Attack stats, which are relatively low depending on the opponent.

The 2nd squad I haven't tried much yet, but I'm starting to lean more towards it than the 1st one. This second squad loses a bit of the melee powerhouse with Jarael (or the extra JWM) and you lose the customization without Lobot, but still keeps a healthy number of activations. Gree helps the JWMs get the much needed boost to their Attack levels, and Sev provides the much needed Accurate shooting. Gree also makes a great shooter as well, as he can utilize Rex's CE. This squad might lose a little potential in damage once the full force is engaged, but it gives you more options to pump out early damage with the 3 shooters, whereas with Squad 1, it usually isn't till Round 3 or so that you can get the JWMs and/or Jarael fully engaged. So, against a slow player, Squad 2 can definitely be your better choice.

These can handle Strafing Lancers pretty easily, and if you bring a Czerka with Lobot in squad 1, IG-86's aren't too hard either (only have to fail 1 Jolt save to really make a difference). I've found that mobile shooter squads, like Han Cannon or Mandos, can be annoying, because they'll sit back and make you come to them, but then that's always the case with a melee heavy squad like these ones.

Anyways....suggestions? Comments?

Post subject: Re: Broken Rex possibilities
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:31 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Very nice Lobo.

Both of them are very nice. The second one is a great mobile ranged threat with good melee interference. I love the fact you have 3 mobile shooters, perhaps more so than the customising with lobot.

I might be tempted to put an Arc Sniper instead of Sev, just because of the increase in Att and that Sniper will be very handy when your JWMs are engaging the enemy.
In the right situation sniper will give the Arc a much more effective attack. Even with boosted defences if you can use sniper to remove cover and get squad assault your looking at needing a roll of 10 MAX and more like 4-5.

The 2nd squad is far more well rounded but the melee figs in squad one will be nasty with triple override.

Post subject: Re: Broken Rex possibilities
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:38 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

The only reason I would lean more toward the Sev in Squad 2 is because of the Stealth. At my venue, freakin' Droids are so prevalent right now, that being able to leave Sev semi-exposed, even early in the game to get the Deadeye shots could be really nice. I see what you're getting at though.

I decided to play Squad 1 at my LGS last week (posted the report in the Tourney section here) simple because I like playing Jarael, and as I said, Droids seem to be popular lately, so I liked her potential for 60 damage there. But after playing it, I agree with you that the 2nd squad is probably the more versatile.