Mark forums read

Post subject: BFF (AKA. Thats So Revan)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:18 am 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

---BFF (150)---
Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter (62)
Darth Revan (88)

Before I start thing off, this was made purely as a fun squad, but it has gone on to win me a few local tournaments. (Even when I am heavily out activated and lack DC)

The story goes that we had a 150 point build tournament at my local gaming store and I spent all week building a SS Trooper squad, but I am usually not one who follows the normal player and I found out that everyone else was running either an Imperial or Republic Trooper squad. I quick flipped through my cards and found out that 88 + 62 = 150; it was to perfect not to try out, at least for a laugh or two. I ended up getting first that day and began to practice over and over again with this squad; this squad really got me more involved with SWM and it compelled me to become a better player.

Now, on with what this team does. Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter is an incredibly strong shooter with good survivability. Revan is strong in melee and able to control initiative with Master Tactician. Revan also has a CE that grants Boba 'pseudo'-Intuition; Boba is able to move 6 before anyone else activates without it counting as an activation. This means Boba is able to get set up for his turn so he can get off a few shots and then pop back into cover. Revan usually hangs back on your side of the map and accumulates FPs; if anyone gets close to him, he can deal with them in melee as well as range them by using Force Corruption, (Auto 20 DMG and a save of 11 of 20 more DMG whenever the affected figure activates.) which can be deadly versus smaller figures and a nuisance for larger figures.

I suggest using the Rancor Pen map and abusing the pen doors which are found mid way down the map. You can abuse the door by first getting Boba next to the door so its open, (Boba can move 18 because of Revans CE as long as he doesn't attack; so you can get this set up really fast if you place Boba in the right starting point.) If Boba is able to, take your shot and use Mobile to move inside the Pen. If the door shuts, use Revans CE next turn to move Boba adjacent to the door and then activate Revan; because Boba is adjacent to a door it opens. Once Revan is done, Boba can get a few shots off before moving back into the Pen and shutting the door. Rinse and Repeat. Beware of Override when using this tactic, I ALWAYS aim for Lobot/T3 first with Boba to make sure they can not lock me in a room.

I have played this against many squads and had trouble along the way; you need patience to run this squad and I for one know it helped me become more of a patient player. If you think that Boba runs in there with Revan in tow you are sorely mistaken. You need to be several steps ahead of your opponent and know where to put Boba and Revan so they are safe from any harm.

This is my first real post and squad build here, I hope you like it.

~Zuty

Post subject: Re: BFF (AKA. Thats So Revan)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:49 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LOL First of all, I love the name. Quite clever.

It certainly is fun to play just a couple of high-powered characters together like that. You will find though, that even with Boba's Evade, he'll get torn to shreds by really good shooters. Especially since Boba can only do 40 damage per round. What happens if you run up against someone using the Muun Tactics Broker? Even with Boba's 'Intuition' you can find yourself in a pretty bad spot, and lose him much quicker than you like.

And as great as Revan may be, his strength is really in his Master Tactician and Commander Effect. Honestly, he's not anywhere near worth 88 points for just his stats alone. A good shooter like Han Scoundrel or Mara Jade, Jedi will tear through Revan with ease. Sure, he'll work great against other melee pieces, but that's not usually what I see as dominating the game, for the most part.

Of course, it all depends on your local play group. If you've been winning with that, then great! But I feel obligated to be the voice of caution that you shouldn't expect those kinds of winning results if you bring that squad to a national level event.

Again though, it is a TON of fun. I've been known to run a few 2-3 activation squads now and then. One of the things I noticed right when KOTOR came out was that Boba Merc Commander, and the two Mandalores was exactly 200 points. :P

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:05 pm 
Unnamed Wookiee
Unnamed Wookiee

The store I go to doesn't see Muun to often; I see how it can be good, but in my opinion I don't see Init control as so game breaking when I see the teams I have to face each week. I am sure its good at GenCon or whatever, but from what I have seen thus far its not all to great.

Although, Thrawn is run a lot at my store but more so as a way to boost Troopers and swap figures around. His Master Tact does come in handy, but having that force bubble up is more valuable.

I have lost with this team a few times and it usually is to heavy shooters like Han and Mandos. And I know I lack a lot of the must haves for a squad, but for something fun its not a bad team.

Plus, making this team lead to a store joke about how Boba Fett and Revan are best friends who deal with everyday high school problems, hence the other title "That's So Revan". FYI, Darth Talon is Revan's crazy girlfriend who Boba secretly loves. Let the drama commence!

~Zuty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:32 pm 
Black Sun Thug
Black Sun Thug

I thought Revan's CE applied only to droids, or is it a misprint on the card and a rule posted somewhere that I didn't know about or is it in the rulebook (which I don't have by the way). Just curious...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:19 am 
Droid Army Commander
Droid Army Commander

jedi_master_michael wrote:
I thought Revan's CE applied only to droids, or is it a misprint on the card and a rule posted somewhere that I didn't know about or is it in the rulebook (which I don't have by the way). Just curious...

No, Revan's CE has the qualifier for Droids to be included with the CE. So, Non-Unique, non-savage followers get the +4 bonus. All non-savage Allies get the movement portion of the CE. I put Savages there to show what can't be affected by the CE.

The rule book, in its infinite usefulness, doesn't do much with CEs but then it would be a thicker book. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:51 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

jedi_master_michael wrote:

Yeah, it's not a restriction to working on just Droids, it's just a clarification that it ALSO works on Droids, in addition to any other Followers/Allies.