logo

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Mark forums read

Post subject: 150 Pts. Nom Nom Nom
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:54 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I just realized that I never posted this on the forums here. Must've made the squad during a week where I was having access issues or something.

Anyways.....here's a 150 Nom Squad that I'm thinking maybe able to deal with some of the post-CW meta. What do you think?

--Nom Nom Nom--
34 Nom Anor
19 Yomin Carr
26 Kel Dor Bounty Hunter x2
13 Czerka Scientist
20 Jawa Scout x2
24 Advance Scout x4
5 Caamasi Noble
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
(150pts. 15 activations)

Activations are decent for a 150 point army. Plenty of bomb fodder to dissuade Yobuck/AniSTAP/Lancers. Use Ooglith on the Czerka in most situations. The Jawa Scouts can lay down 30 damage a shot against Droids, though they do have to roll decently high to hit (14+ in most situations against GGDAC boosted squads). The real key with the Jawas is in the Spotter 20 though.

Thoughts? Can it hold up? Would obviously have trouble against Rebel or NR squads packing Disruptive, but I think the multitude of Twin Attackers, plus the total 80 dmg in SD40 from the KDBH's can help make up for that.

Post subject: Re: 150 Pts. Nom Nom Nom
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:17 pm 
Death Star Designers
Death Star Designers

You might want to get rid of the Advance scouts and maybe add in another keldor and more jawas. A major weakness in some of my Nom bomb squads i've made is the lack of shooters. Another major problem is droids, but jawas are a good idea to combat them.

Aliit ori'shya tal'din ("Family is more than Blood")
To learn Mandalorian, go to http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:58 pm 
Hall of Fame Member
Hall of Fame Member

Heavy reliance on the Jawa's as anti droid fodder may be a bit much to expect.

What map do you think?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:11 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I don't think there's enough damage output to cover the difference in what the bombs will give you.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:32 pm 
Mandalore
Mandalore

I might try to work in a Self Detonation technique. All I can really think of.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:46 am 
Really Cool Alien from a Cantina

Personally, I would drop Yomin. He only helps out with the few advance scouts you have, and even then, they are just there for cheap bombs and maybe thud bugs. Poison and spit poison adds little to their usefullness (and is useless against the droids). I would rather have more bombs for the 19 points, either another Kel Dor and a scout, or 3 more scouts. Other than that, yes this squad is annoying against the strafe/gallop squads, though you would have to hide Nom pretty good against a Yobuck swap squad.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:54 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Admiral Ace wrote:
Personally, I would drop Yomin. He only helps out with the few advance scouts you have, and even then, they are just there for cheap bombs and maybe thud bugs. Poison and spit poison adds little to their usefullness (and is useless against the droids). I would rather have more bombs for the 19 points, either another Kel Dor and a scout, or 3 more scouts. Other than that, yes this squad is annoying against the strafe/gallop squads, though you would have to hide Nom pretty good against a Yobuck swap squad.

Well, honestly, Yomin is more there to boost Nom. With Cunning and Poison, Nom is attacking at a +16 for possible 30 damage each, and he'll have Twin from the Czerka, so that's 60 damage out of him.

Yobuck wouldn't concern me as much as Anakin on STAP actually. Yobuck will have to take too many AoOs to get to Nom in most cases. Even with a Swap option.

Admittedly, I built this squad more to deal with Droids than anything else, and when I tossed it together, the Yobuck/Swap squads hadn't really risen to the front lines yet. However, it is a 150 point squad though too, and I don't necessarily feel that the Republic Swap squads are as good at 150 points as they are at 200 points.

EDIT: Plus, you use the Scouts and KDBHs to screen a Yobuck from ever getting close to Nom. He'd have to take a hefty amount of AoO damage to even get to Nom. AniSTAP will have a rough time too if you screen well, because he HAS to make the Strafe shots as he moves, so the Flight wouldn't even help him get to Nom.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:05 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Didn't even see these posts before.

fingersandteeth wrote:
Heavy reliance on the Jawa's as anti droid fodder may be a bit much to expect.

What map do you think?

Map...hmm....Mos Eisley has always been a favorite of mine for Nom squads. Lots of nice cover around the gambit areas. Death Star is a good one too in most cases.

Grand Moff Boris wrote:
I don't think there's enough damage output to cover the difference in what the bombs will give you.

Yeah, that's the only thing that worries me too. The trick would be setting up the Jawas to use their Spotter with either Nom or the KDBHs. The Czerka really adds a lot of umph to the damage output though, allowing Nom to do up to 60 by himself.

Luke_Skywalker wrote:
I might try to work in a Self Detonation technique. All I can really think of.

See, the only thing about that though is that it necessitates using a piece like Lobot (MTB), a Zabrak Fringer, or T3-M4. The Zabrak is the only one that keeps everyone with Stealth, but then you have to use Ooglith on the Zabrak instead of the Czerka.

The Lobot/MTB can work better, if you bring MTB and 3 Grans, and that definitely helps with Nom's Cunning shots, but what do you drop to free up those 27 points? The best option I could see would be to drop all the Ugos, the Caamasi, and a KDBH, which gets me 27 points. In that case, I would actually drop one or more of the Advance Scouts to fit more Ugos in the squad. Would need the activations, and possibly the bomb-less MTB fodder to stretch out the MTB's useful life.

T3-M4 I don't really like at all. His Flamethower 20 is great, and override is obviously always helpful, but he'll be a sitting duck in this squad. I guess maybe you could drop a KDBH, the Caamasi, and an Ugo and put in T3 and a Gran. Loses some potential damage output without the KDBH though. Might be sort of an even trade. Again though, T3 will just get pummeled the first time he shows his face.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:29 am 

LoboStele wrote:
AniSTAP will have a rough time too if you screen well, because he HAS to make the Strafe shots as he moves, so the Flight wouldn't even help him get to Nom.

Well then, I didn't know you HAD to take the strafe. That makes a big difference. Learn something new every day. I was thinking with R2 both Ani and Yobuck could make it to you without making a single attack (herego not taking any bomb damage in reprisal). But if that's not the case, all the better the build is.

PS: I'd still rather take more bombs over Yomin, as I feel the extra damage given to Nom is trivial compared to what you'd get with more bombs and activations. But that's just me. :wink:

Last edited by Admiral Ace on Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:31 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I THINK that's how the Strafe/Galloping works. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. But I know that's the basic premise of using Anakin CON as a defense against the Lancers.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:38 am 

LoboStele wrote:
I THINK that's how the Strafe/Galloping works. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. But I know that's the basic premise of using Anakin CON as a defense against the Lancers.

Yeah, I've been playing that it was optional given that it says "CAN attack" not "MUST attack." I've been avoiding Anakin CoN and anyone who could riposte with the Lancers until I absolutely had to. But even if you don't have to attack him, the fact that he has Djem-so is enough to deter someone from strafing him and thus a great defense against him. Interested to see what the ruling is on this.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:38 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I don't think you have to.

EDIT: Besides, this squad will only work against strafing once. After that, the strafe player will just bring anti-stealth to the table in the form of Depa. She's cheap enough she can be worked into the 200 pt. mix.

"I would really, really like to not have anything else happen at the end of the round other than things just ending." -- Sithborg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:56 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Yes, but this isn't 200 points. A 200 point Vong squad should look MUCH different.

I know for a fact that Strafe is not an option when you are moving with the Lancer. I'm not sure how Yobuck factors into that when he's being Towed by R2. So that would be the one I'd want to check on.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:48 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

I forgot what section this was in. Okay, even in 150 she can be worked in.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:38 am 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Sure, you can work Depa in, but then you are building just as a hate squad to this one, IMO. Nobody plays Depa at my local area anywhere. And outside of a hate option against Nom Bombs, I haven't seen Depa used in a competitive squad in months.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:35 pm 
Name Calling Internet Bully

Well, the 200point version I use adds Boba Merc, and you get around force sense by having the MTB option and by having a couple of scouts with immunity. The czerka can get the ooglith, but its rarely needed, as gaining los to her often means either I have already lost, or your figure will be toast. So I dont see Depa or Leia as a reliable counter to this. Disruptive is more of a pain for you than me, as it will be hard to take down Kyle with Nom and Kel Dors and no bomb damage.

So back to the 150 version you have so far, I would drop Yomin for Lando HoT. He has a nice double twin (mostly just twin) opp with mobile and grants mobile to your other shooters around him.

And to explain the strafe/gallop issue, I got this when the set released from Nickname, so its reliable.

Strafe is either on or off on a given movement. You can choose to strafe while you move or not. What you cannot do is choose targets. So if strafe is on, you must strafe everything you fly over, which is why Ani Con works so well against the lancer, place him in a 3 or less wide hallway, and the lancer has to hit him to strafe anything behind him. You can choose not to strafe at all and move over something like a normal flight mini can however. This applies because strafe is defined as a non-targeting ability or attack.

Gallop is different. It is a targeted ability (because targeting is the default and strafe is not one only because the rules define it as an exception). With me so far? So Yodabuck, can go right past Ani without the gallop, and gallop the target behind it if he wants to. To take him out on one gallop, you will need 8 bombs, or to have hit him first with something. Its a tough match at 150, as 5-8 bombs is a lot to lose, even if Yoda is sacked for it. Luckily, the support for yoda at 150, usually Rex and a weaker secondary shooter or Jar Jar and Panaka can be dealt with with whatever remains, so Yoda will have to be very careful. The trick will be the guy who plays for a timed game and uses Yoda late, takes him down to say 20hps, and then swaps him across the board away from you as time expires.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:49 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

Cool, thanks for that, Bill! That explanation makes sense to me.

Definitely an interesting idea with Lando HOT. Hadn't thought of that. Then the bombs are more of a last resort.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:00 pm 

Here's my 200 squad, perhaps this will give you more ideas, or at least explain further where I am coming from with this one.

http://bloomilk.com/Squads/ViewSquad.aspx?SquadID=3656

--Anor Science--
58 Boba Fett, Mercenary
34 Nom Anor
27 Lobot
23 Lando Calrissian, Hero of Taanab
13 Czerka Scientist
10 Jawa Scout
18 Advance Scout x3
8 Gran Raider x2
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

Lobot:
8 Muun Tactics Broker
12 Gran Raider x3
(200pts. 18 activations)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/Search.aspx?UserID=29

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:37 pm 
One of The Ones
One of The Ones

LoboStele wrote:
Then the bombs are more of a last resort.

The bombs should ALWAYS be a last resort. :)